How much does Med school rank matter for getting good residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It matters immensely and I almost always recommend someone go to the most prestigious med school they can. Going to Columbia will never hurt your chances at matching into the specialty or program of your choice. it is a lot easier to match into derm from Harvard and Penn than it is from podunk U especially if podunk u does not have a home program
In my Radiology residency at BWH, 4/6 of us in my year were from Columbia.

Members don't see this ad.

Went to a t20 med school and matched to a t10 IM residency. I never busted my ass or had to work that hard, and probably did what I would consider slightly above average. Pedigree matters a ton.

Based on match lists, I noticed students at higher ranked schools get more competitive/prestigious residency spots. Does this have more to do with the rank of the medical school, or is it because the students who attend those schools are of a higher caliber and tend to do have better residency applications and exam scores?
My guess would be 2CK matters much more than class rank for most programs. For top programs, they both matter heavily.