How much does Target pay techs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first Pharm Tech job at Walgreens, and they were paying me $11.25 or $11.50 an hour, because I was considered in "intern" at the time since I was pre-pharm.

After I decided to not pursue pharmacy anymore, I quit and ended up working at my current job, CVS where they started me at $9.50 an hour because I had experience. I then received a $0.50 raise after my training was complete, and a $0.25 raise after having worked there for a year, so I now make $10.25 an hour.

I have an interview with Target on Monday, and I was wondering if anyone knows if they pay better than CVS? I am not certified, but I am taking my PTCB exam at the end of April. I heard they start certified techs at $15 an hour, but I'm not sure if that is true or not.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard, Target's tech salary is low. They will not give you a bonus for passing the certification exam.

I work at Target as a Pharmacy Technician and they pay me $14.00 an hour

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your location mostly. I started as a tech at Kroger three years ago at $7.50/hour. As a third year intern I make over double that but I know mail order pays quite a bit. So does inpatient pharmacy.

Try inpatient pharmacy. I started out almost $13 because of shift diff. and weekend and that was almost a decade ago and non-cert.

Target paid me $11.50, starting. I will be a first year intern this coming fall, and the pay will be $17/hr

I think in my region only, the techs are paid better than the interns haha. I was making a little more than unknowngirl as a tech and took a cut as an intern

I started out as pharmacy technician at walgreens who was already certified with no job experience at $11.25, I am located in North Carolina.

From what I have heard, Target's tech salary is low. They will not give you a bonus for passing the certification exam.

You heard wrong. If you get certified it is a $1 increase. We start at $14 right now. HR is suppose to be doing salary reviews in the area for competitors. If they do, then they will adjust the wages to be competitive. Will depend on your area though.

Not related to target, but general advice to technicians or asking salary in general.

I had a friend of my lead tech apply for a PRN position recently. She asked for $20/hr. My wife happens to be a pharmacist were her main job is, and gave me her thought (yes, pharmacy is a small world). I basically got a good chuckle out of it, and put her application somewhere that I don't even remember or care.

Yes, you should look out for yourself. But no, you should not be so blatantly money grabbing that put your application in the trash.

Not related to target, but general advice to technicians or asking salary in general.

I had a friend of my lead tech apply for a PRN position recently. She asked for $20/hr. My wife happens to be a pharmacist were her main job is, and gave me her thought (yes, pharmacy is a small world). I basically got a good chuckle out of it, and put her application somewhere that I don't even remember or care.

Yes, you should look out for yourself. But no, you should not be so blatantly money grabbing that put your application in the trash.
My honest opinion? A great tech is worth more than $20/hr.

My honest opinion? A great tech is worth more than $20/hr.

Not disagreeing. I personally think my lead tech is worth her weight in gold. I even give her bonuses out of my own annual bonus (cashback card is so awesome for that). But really, most major organizations set ranges --> don't go way off to the left field that basically make your application paper for the shredder.

P.S my wife's input for her is way less than flattering. Pharmacy is a small world...

Whenever I had applications asking for more than my lead tech with years of experience made, they went in the trash. I am not going to insult someone with an offer less than half of their asking salary.

Reactions: 1 users
why dig up an old post from 2012? Target pharmacy has ceased to exist.

Whenever I had applications asking for more than my lead tech with years of experience made, they went in the trash. I am not going to insult someone with an offer less than half of their asking salary.

I'm a firm believer of reward those who are due, be they technicians or pharmacists. For those who use personal cashback cards or corporate credit cards. there is a built in layer of extra reward that you can return to those who helped you along the way.

Eg, my company's travel people pays for airline tickets, but you get free miles if you link the miles by having an airline account. In the same way, company want us to charge hotels, meals, ect, on our personal card, then file for reimbursement. That's free cashback 2% (Fidelity AMEX card) or 1.1% (Chase freedom).

Meritocracy. Instead of pocketing those rewards, return them to those who made it possible. It cost you nothing other than something not outline in your job description, but it can mean the world to those who see you as a just leader. I'm no saint, but I won't bite the hands that feed me, (both above or below)... honest work and honest pay should earn my gratitude, and in the mandarin tradition, I shall serve to my utmost.

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer of reward those who are due, be they technicians or pharmacists. For those who use personal cashback cards or corporate credit cards. there is a built in layer of extra reward that you can return to those who helped you along the way.

Eg, my company's travel people pays for airline tickets, but you get free miles if you link the miles by having an airline account. In the same way, company want us to charge hotels, meals, ect, on our personal card, then file for reimbursement. That's free cashback 2% (Fidelity AMEX card) or 1.1% (Chase freedom).

Meritocracy. Instead of pocketing those rewards, return them to those who made it possible. It cost you nothing other than something not outline in your job description, but it can mean the world to those who see you as a just leader. I'm no saint, but I won't bite the hands that feed me.

Cool post, although I am not totally sure what it has to do with my post.

Cool post, although I am not totally sure what it has to do with my post.

Thanks. Not a direct inference. But I want to to remind fellow pharmacists: we were intern once, getting paid more or less than a tech. We earned our professional standings, and more often than not, became a leader. While we earned our place as a leader in pharmacy, we should not (and we do not) live in a vacuum. If we wish to run an efficient pharmacy (which current reimbursement scheme constantly press us to do), then we need to foster a culture of meritocracy and efficiency.

While I may be DOP, I am no more above the rules than anyone else. Follow me and we shall share life or death together whether you are a technician or a DOP. Whether that's the culture in other pharmacies or not is not the point. A just culture, meritocracy, should be so. So to be just, let those who made those frequent flyer miles or cashback possible reap the benefit. It was a fringe benefit that cost me nothing, but only made possible by them holding down the fort when I am away. So why shouldn't they have it?

Reactions: 1 user