how much emphasis does podiatry school put on extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diskhmergrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply for admission for Fall 2012 so I have until August to start putting together components for my application. I'm a third year at UC Berkeley and my cGPA is 3.233 and my sGPA is about 2.8-2.9 (I know it's really low... =[ ). I'm taking the MCATs in July and I'll be starting a prep course in March to help me keep on top of things while I'm still in school. So I think I'll get of score between 22-27.

My primary concern is about extracurriculars. I've worked at Peets' Coffee since my freshman year, but I haven't really done much of anything else like volunteering, clubs, or research. I was in one club my freshman year, but after that I never went back because it didn't keep my interest. Then last Spring I started volunteering for an elementary school and I still volunteering there. I realized that I am lacking extracurriculars so I joined a community service club this semester as well. So this semester I'll be doing a lot more volunteering and some club activities while keeping my job.

I've noticed that isn't really much of any threads on SDN on this topic and lot more focus on GPA and MCATs (which of course I know are very important), so then how important are extracurriculars to Podiatry schools?? Btw I've shadowed two podiatrists over the past 7 months. What do you think my chances are of getting into DMU, Barry, or NYCPM??

Members don't see this ad.

GPA and MCAT scores are important but extracurriculars show that you're involved in more than just school, which is something the schools will be looking for as well. As far as your "chances"... that's always hard to predict but you probably have a good chance. If you'd really like to know try calling the schools for more information.

I've called the two schools in California to see their take on my lack of extracurriculars and they both said to go ahead and apply anyways. So I'll try calling DMU, Barry, and NYCPM tomorrow to see their take on it.

Also, even if you don't have a ton of extracurriculars, point out your volunteering and the service club experience. Look for other things to be involved in before you apply. I think as long as you have some worthwhile things to mention you'll be fine. Good luck.