How much is malpractice insurance for General dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Mom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find any sites with information about it............

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Dental Mom said:
I can't find any sites with information about it............

Thanks in advance.

I remember a dentist told me that it was like $3000 / year ... or is it $300.....Not too sure. But regardless of which, it's still low!!! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's cheaper when you first start and gets more expensive as time goes on. So in the beginning, it's like 600/yr.

Thanks! I can't believe how low it actually is!

I was told by a general dentist that it's about $1100-1800 per year here in Indiana for $1M/$3M coverage (depending on the scope of what you do (general vs. say ortho) and the company you go with).

shopaholic said:
It's cheaper when you first start and gets more expensive as time goes on. So in the beginning, it's like 600/yr.

That's interesting. Why would they make it cheaper in the beginning? Is it marketing strategy to get new dentists to sign up?

I imagine a new dentist is likely to make more mistakes, hence higher risk in comparison to a veteran dentist.

jk5177 said:
That's interesting. Why would they make it cheaper in the beginning? Is it marketing strategy to get new dentists to sign up?

I imagine a new dentist is likely to make more mistakes, hence higher risk in comparison to a veteran dentist.

Ha, maybe its because as your make more mistakes and get sued repeatedly, your premium goes up. Kinda like getting into too many accidents or getting moving violations in your car.

$600/yr sounds extremely low though.

aphistis said:
My husband graduated last year and that's what he pays. If it makes a difference, we're in Oregon.

Reminds me why I want to practice in Oregon ;)

Last edited:
Dental Mom said:
I'm in Florida & if I ever end up going/living to NOVA or UF I wonder how much will it be in year 3000?

This is the land of fraud and everything in between :eek:

Still a lot less than MDs.

It shouldn't be much different. The most I've heard of (or rather read on DentalTown) was 7,000k/year.

That's pennies compared to our MD colleagues. My father, a practicing OB/GYN for 25+ years, pays from 70-90k each year.