how much is this job worth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m only 3 years out of training but haven’t done OB since residency. Might be pigeonholing myself for future jobs but loving the no OB.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You've never crashed on ECMO due to AFE with complete thrombo-embolization of the pulmonary arteries/RV or had to do a crash section/hysterectomy with MTP on a morbidly obese patient with no pre-natal care who was bleeding out who you find out later had multiple elective abortions and C/S.s with placenta percreta.

Experience is a sometimes harsh instructor.
No I haven't done afe. But Afe is once in a lifetime. Just have to be an agile when the time comes. No way to prepare for that otherwise. Use exotic potions to keep them alive as best you can to bridge to higher care.

And I have done crash sections with subsequent take the whole uterus because she's exsanguinating-put big lines in her-nuke her with product, sequence.

I'm not getting into a pissing contest about cases. Just said what I said that I feel comfortable with OB.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t done ob since residency. I think it has increased my lifespan. Too stressful. Constant pages , challenging patients, and annoying nurses.

Reactions: 10 users
I haven’t done ob since residency. I think it has increased my lifespan. Too stressful. Constant pages , challenging patients, and annoying nurses.
The first thing I’ll give up is OB, not quite ready yet, but in 10yrs absolutely

Other than OB patients (“I still feel pressure!), OB nurses (“She still feels pressure!”), and OB Docs (“This patient has failed to progress/My clinic starts in 45 minutes!”), I thought OB was great…🙄

(Currently NOT missing it for 12 plus years….)

Reactions: 7 users
OB - the bane of every anesthesiologist's existence.

Reactions: 6 users
Those that are earlier in their career and don't do ob, do you feel like you've lost the skill and can't do it anymore? Or do you feel like just a few shifts and you'd be back to good?

Having a fellowship in something else offsets my skill atrophy guilt for dropping OB like a hot rock.

• Haha
Those that are earlier in their career and don't do ob, do you feel like you've lost the skill and can't do it anymore? Or do you feel like just a few shifts and you'd be back to good?

I didn’t do OB for the first five years post residency. Picked it up fairly quickly on my next job.

One Caveat, my second job was NOT a tertiary center. Nothing fancier than preeclampsia, HTN, and the usual endemic morbid obesity and other mild comorbidities. Didn’t to hardcore known comorbidities. We did have our share of obstetric hemorrhages.

Surprised to see so many of you don't cover OB. That must be nice. In my region it seems that every group covers at least one hospital with OB. So basically every job besides academics and the rare ASC only job, you will do at least some OB.

It's basically unheard of in our area for anyone not nearing retirement to drop OB. It's lucrative also so no one really minds. We all grumble about their nonsense but equally take the money

Alright disclaimer I'm just a resident but this job sounds un friggin believable. Can't imagine a better job honestly. This is well past any of the groups I'm currently interviewing with. Almost a damn joke it's so good. 14-16 weeks vacation? Come on man. I don't care how bad ob is at night. Ob is easy as hell. The only thing that would make this a moderately difficult job on night call is if you're getting blasted by peri arrest traumas.

Is this a troll post by OP?

There is no such thing as complex ob no matter what high risk labels OB says. Drive the needle push the drug. Get the video scope for hostile airway. If things get bad cause of bad tone bomb the patient with volume. Ob patients can tolerate so much anyways. Again, ob is easy.

14 weeks vacation and 550k salary. Out by 3 or 4 most days. I mean let's be real here.

If you aren't a level I trauma center, which I surmise you aren't because no mention of trauma, this is a cush job.
Please do yourself and your patients a huge favor, and learn some humility. Docs like you can get themselves in a LOT of trouble when you are first starting out. Seriously, I am not trying to be a jerk, you need to realize that you still have a lot to learn, and you should be open to that. I’ve been doing this job for over 20 years, and I am still learning.

Reactions: 7 users
200.gif
Yeah, can’t tell if this kid is for real or not, so bombastic.

Please do yourself and your patients a huge favor, and learn some humility. Docs like you can get themselves in a LOT of trouble when you are first starting out. Seriously, I am not trying to be a jerk, you need to realize that you still have a lot to learn, and you should be open to that. I’ve been doing this job for over 20 years, and I am still learning.
Sit down..........Waldo!

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user