This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrock123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a school that's on the quarter system. This fall I went abroad and took three quarters worth of the organic chemistry lectures (a year of organic chemistry lecture) and one quarter of the corresponding lab. I am currently completing the second quarter of the corresponding lab. Had I not gone abroad, I would have done my school's "pre-med" organic chemistry series (which is slightly below the courses I actually took). The first part of that premed series does not have an actual lab, only a discussion, but the second two quarters have a lab included, so I would have only had two quarters of lab, which is what most of our students apply to medical school with (and get in). So my question is, do I really need to take a third quarter of the lab series I'm in? My current lab course includes more lab time than I would have gotten in the premed courses.

Here's more of a breakdown:
what I took: Org chem lecture 1, 2, 3
Org chem lab 1 (3 hours a week) and 2 (6 hours a week)

Here's what I would have taken (the normal premed track at my school):
Organic chem 1, 2 (with lab included, 3 hours a week), and 3 (with lab included, three hours a week)

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need the material for medical school directly (referring to the extra quarter of lab)...as long as your med school requirements are fulfilled by whatever you've already taken then you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get letter grades for the ochem classes you took abroad, and are those letter grades listed on your home institution's transcript? I know a lot of schools give P/F credit for classes taken abroad, and if you only have a P for ochem it won't satisfy the pre-req, I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get letter grades for the ochem classes you took abroad, and are those letter grades listed on your home institution's transcript? I know a lot of schools give P/F credit for classes taken abroad, and if you only have a P for ochem it won't satisfy the pre-req, I believe.
Fortunately we did get letter grades, I got a B+, an A, and an A+, as well as an A- in lab

Reactions: 1 user