Medical How much of a concern is physician encroachment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When it comes to other common questions about medicine and med school such as "Can I pass medical school" or 'is medicine right for me" or asking questions about the financial implications of going into medicine, many of these questions I feel can be self-answered. However, when it comes to the topic of the future market for physicians, especially those in primary care, I feel like I don't know what answer to give myself. Everyone on this website seems to feel that the future of primary care is doomed because of the alleged encroachment from PAs and NPs. It's demoralizing as I try to push on with MCAT studies that I am being told job security might be a huge issue in the future. I would like to ask for your insight, and I apologize if I am coming off as arrogant here. Thank you all very much.

Most of the angst about midlevel encroachment comes from med students and residents.

Attendings, who know better, don't complain. That should tell you something positive.

Also keep in mind that there are tons of things that midlevels can't do, but doctors can.

Members don't see this ad.

my dad is in nephrology, so not quite primary care, but having a PA has been wonderful for him financially.

He does not physically have to be in his practice, has a PA do a lot of the examinations, and modifies treatment via telephone.

Speaking strictly financially, he pays the PA around 150k, and she probably generates 3-400k for his practice.

I know some FM doctors that own practices and have 5+ PA/NPs working for them as well and are killing it financially.

Maybe some other physicians on here can comment better than my n=1 examples, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

spend less time reading SDN, and study up :)

So, it’s very specialty dependent. I will say that in my own specialty the proliferation of APPs has basically led to the only strictly clinical jobs are hospitalist or workhorse type jobs. But, mine is a highly specialized field. Similar issues for a few other fields like rad onc or EM. Similar issues for popular locations like major cities.

All of that said, a medical degree is highly versatile. Go into your specialty if choice with eyes wide open about the job market in that field.

It really depends on the specialty. NP/PA can really increase volume. For example, in surgery PA/NP can see post-op patients which opens up your schedule to see new patients.

New patients > more surgeries > more income

Status
Not open for further replies.