how much of a factor does pharm school "prestige" play in getting a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope things are going well! I'm putting in this post for my sister who doesn't have access to this forum right now. How important is the pharmacy school you go to in determining how easily you get a job in the pharm field? I know it's all about connections, but say that between two people, the connections are equal. Is it that much better to have gone to UCSF vs. a more unknown school in OR?

I'm currently a medical school applicant and for us, the prestige of the med school attended does have a marked effect on residency/job entrance. Just not sure if the same applies to pharmacy schools? Any insight would be hugely appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hope things are going well! I'm putting in this post for my sister who doesn't have access to this forum right now. How important is the pharmacy school you go to in determining how easily you get a job in the pharm field? I know it's all about connections, but say that between two people, the connections are equal. Is it that much better to have gone to UCSF vs. a more unknown school in OR?

I'm currently a medical school applicant and for us, the prestige of the med school attended does have a marked effect on residency/job entrance. Just not sure if the same applies to pharmacy schools? Any insight would be hugely appreciated! Thank you!

same here for pharmacy, assumed everything else is equal imho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail traditionally didnt care but that is changing. When there was a shortage of pharmacists, they would take any warm body with a degree. Now that there is a surplus, they are being more picky. Now applicants need to distinguish themselves. So incorporate that into your calculations

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much to everyone who answered! I really appreciate all your input. Will definitely relay all this to my sis. Thank you again!!

Thanks so much to everyone who answered! I really appreciate all your input. Will definitely relay all this to my sis. Thank you again!!

The most important factor among schools is the financial package a school gives you. This of course is barring choosing between acceptance to a questionable program versus a top tier program. However, in almost every other case, you should choose the school that gives you your schooling for the least.

Pharmacy is different than traditional job application. You usually have to convince recruiters in abstract ways that you are somehow more qualified than all the other applicants. In pharmacy, you come to an interview with plenty of training and experience (even if you do not have a job). In other words, your abilities will show much more than a traditional interview.