How much of a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a red flag would it be if I didn't send a LOR from my principal investigator?

I have been working in a lab for nearly 1 1/2 years now but I feel like I haven't really done much to receive a really strong letter. I began by working under a graduate student who graduated a few months ago and since then I've basically been doing nothing. My PI is really nice and he hasn't said much about me not doing much work (basically because there really isn't much work to do given limited funds and lack of graduate students in the lab). I have done a couple of poster presentations along with some behavioral assessments on mice and a few lab meeting presentations; however, other than that, it hasn't been much.

So what I'm asking is, if I sent in my AMCAS application and didn't include my PI's letter of recommendation, how much of a red flag would that be to schools? I'm not looking to go to any top-research heavy schools like Harvard, UCSF, or Hopkins; albeit, I do want to get in somewhere!

I feel like I have really strong letters from my other sources, but I just don't have that same feeling with my PI because I really haven't done much. Suggestions? (also I do work at this lab under a course in which he has given me A's for the past three semesters, so maybe he knows that there isn't much I can do? Lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How much of a red flag would it be if I didn't send a LOR from my principle investigator?

I have been working in a lab for nearly 1 1/2 years now but I feel like I haven't really done much to receive a really strong letter. I began by working under a graduate student who graduated a few months ago and since then I've basically been doing nothing. My PI is really nice and he hasn't said much about me not doing much work (basically because there really isn't much work to do given limited funds and lack of graduate students in the lab). I have done a couple of poster presentations along with some behavioral assessments on mice and a few lab meeting presentations; however, other than that, it hasn't been much.

So what I'm asking is, if I sent in my AMCAS application and didn't include my PI's letter of recommendation, how much of a red flag would that be to schools? I'm not looking to go to any top-research heavy schools like Harvard, UCSF, or Hopkins; albeit, I do want to get in somewhere!

I feel like I have really strong letters from my other sources, but I just don't have that same feeling with my PI because I really haven't done much. Suggestions? (also I do work at this lab under a course in which he has given me A's for the past three semesters, so maybe he knows that there isn't much I can do? Lol)

hmmm

not a major red flag - just don't write about it as one of your 3 major things.

Honestly, if you've done research for that long, it could potentially be a negative if you don't get a letter from your PI. You say she's really nice, can you sit down and ask her for more responsibility in the lab? Maybe offer to help with a grant or a new project? If she knows who you are and has seen you step up your game in the lab, I'd be willing to bet she'd write you a good letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if you've done research for that long, it could potentially be a negative if you don't get a letter from your PI. You say she's really nice, can you sit down and ask her for more responsibility in the lab? Maybe offer to help with a grant or a new project? If she knows who you are and has seen you step up your game in the lab, I'd be willing to bet she'd write you a good letter.

theres like 1 month of school left

No one at SDN know how your PI is..if you said your PI is so nice then I strongly suggest you to just talk with him about it. I was once in a similar situation where I had basically nothing to do..and the semester went by and my PI didn't even realize I was technically still part of the lab that semester but then once I let her know she was very anxious and tried to get me new things to do. To find small projects for an undergrad..I'm pretty sure ur PI/grad students won't have to apply for new grants or anything. If u r working for 1.5 years at anything but u don't have any personal letter/acknowledgement of ur performance..it may look bad in my opinion (or u can of course not highlight on research altogether if u want..)

I was in the same situation: 1.5 years in a single lab. I just didn't feel like I had accomplished anything super noteworthy while there, and my PI was too busy to be able to connect with me. I wrote about it as a major experience but didn't ask for a letter of recommendation. Didn't end up hurting me.

I did research for three years in the same lab, and didn't get a recommendation from my PI. No one ever asked why, and I don't think it hurt me at all.

Just get the letter OP.

I didn't do any kind of presentations or original research in my lab and I got a letter from my PI.

It worked out for me man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to sit on the admissions committee at my medical school.

Simple answer: It doesn't matter. Get the best letters you can. If you don't feel like your PI will be able to write the best letter compared to sources, then let it be.

I worked under my PI for 2.5 years and didn't get a LOR from him. I had a successful cycle so I don't think it hurt me at all. It also wasn't brought up during any of my interviews.

How much of a red flag would it be if I didn't send a LOR from my principal investigator?

"Red Flags" simply require context. What might they wonder based upon no LOR? Are there other aspects of your application that would give them reason to think of or realize you are "missing" this letter? Have you spoken with your PI about getting a letter? I know that I haven't been able to accomplish everything that I had hoped to with my PI and yet she wrote me an awesome letter focused on my strengths (and has helped me net quite a few acceptances). The fact that you and I are imperfect does not a poor LOR make. Go find out from your PI what s/he actually would write (or not write)....

18583500.jpg

I kind of wonder that too. Although I do a lot in the lab, I feel that my PI will not be the best person to ask for LOR. I just don't think the letter I will get is going to be great, good or OK maybe. Great, probably not. Should I still ask?

Sorry for hijacking.

I did research for three years in the same lab, and didn't get a recommendation from my PI. No one ever asked why, and I don't think it hurt me at all.
I know this is an old thread, but I am in a very similar position to what you were! I will be in a lab for about 3 years, but my relationship with my PI has gone down recently (she thought I was spending too much time studying for the MCAT) and I'm worried about her LOR. Would you mind sharing which schools you applied to/got an interview at? I'm thinking about applying to some research-intensive schools because I really do enjoy doing research, so I'd feel way better if these were the schools that didn't really mind. Thanks!

I worked under my PI for 2.5 years and didn't get a LOR from him. I had a successful cycle so I don't think it hurt me at all. It also wasn't brought up during any of my interviews.
Hi, same question as above- if you would mind sharing which schools didn't seem to mind and if you got a LOR from someone else instead, I would really appreciate it! I will be in my lab for 3 years by the time I apply, and am stressed about getting a LOR from my PI..

I know this is an old thread, but I am in a very similar position to what you were! I will be in a lab for about 3 years, but my relationship with my PI has gone down recently (she thought I was spending too much time studying for the MCAT) and I'm worried about her LOR. Would you mind sharing which schools you applied to/got an interview at? I'm thinking about applying to some research-intensive schools because I really do enjoy doing research, so I'd feel way better if these were the schools that didn't really mind. Thanks!

Probably a theme. I was in a tiff with my supervisor about my MCAT time. To be fair to me, it was because I took a full time one and half weeks to study as I kept supplanting my study time with 10-15 hour research days... I finally simply had to say, I'm sorry I have to work on this exam, because my career is important to me even if it's not in your interests for me to work to be physician. It was a painful exercise in the reality that for many perceived effort is more important than actual effort :(.

Probably a theme. I was in a tiff with my supervisor about my MCAT time. To be fair to me, it was because I took a full time one and half weeks to study as I kept supplanting my study time with 10-15 hour research days... I finally simply had to say, I'm sorry I have to work on this exam, because my career is important to me even if it's not in your interests for me to work to be physician. It was a painful exercise in the reality that for many perceived effort is more important than actual effort :(.

Yup. That's the truth in every industry. The more you can convince your supervisors you are working hard, the better you'll look. Preferably, this will include spending lots of time around them not doing any actual work, but making them think you do everything.

I thought my PI would be understanding about me needing to spend time on the MCAT, but guess not :unsure: . I'm worried that she'll say I wasn't invested enough in my project, or didn't show enough commitment. This was definitely one of my most meaningful experiences, so not really sure what to do now...