How much of what you learn in Dental School is important in practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DustFreeEraser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I.E. Do you use a significant amount of knowledge you learn in school in practice?

Members don't see this ad.

I have always heard that your DDS is just a degree that enables you to keep learning. You'll learn more from your CE than you do in school.

Reactions: 1 user
I have some interesting thoughts on this topic while currently drowning in notes studying for finals

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The best analogy that I've heard, and this can apply to almost any learning circumstance is that the broader the base of knowledge that you create at the start, the higher the peak of the "knowledge pyramid" you'll eventually be able to build

Reactions: 11 users
Of course you do. With that said, dental school only teaches you procedures. It takes a while and some practice out of school to visualize and implement putting it all together. And dental school does not teach you how to get a job, a residency, or start a business (yes, a practice is a business).

It takes a while and some practice out of school to visualize and implement putting it all together
6ik4Ah

I'm only a second year, but of course you use the information you learn from school. They teach you the basics in class but that shouldn't stop you from talking to professors and residents! I learn so much just by being around them. Different ways to use a material, techniques, etc. Dental school is what you make of it!

Reactions: 2 users
It amazes me how often I reach back into the deep recesses of my grey matter and pull out some tidbit that I had to know for an exam back in school that is suddenly applicable now.

Reactions: 1 user