How much on average do you receive each month for living expenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petey22

Reaction score
I am going to be attending dental school this fall and I am been trying to budget out potential expenses for my wife and I. I am wondering from previous/current student experiences or even pre-dental student knowledge how much you receive/received from the loan amount after the tuition is paid for? Or if there is any way to receive more than the allotted amount if needed? My wife is about to have a baby so I don't expect to receive any outside help as far as paying for living expenses, we will be living off of loans for a while. I will be attending Roseman University in Utah so I haven't been able to find many cheap options for rent.

Members don't see this ad.

I get around 12 - 13k per semester. Which equals out to around 3(ish)k a month. This is an additional loan you have to apply for (Grad Plus) every semester.

I get around 12 - 13k per semester. Which equals out to around 3(ish)k a month. This is an additional loan you have to apply for (Grad Plus) every semester.
This is the most straightforward answer I have been looking for thank you so much! Did you petition to receive more or is this what was given to you as the "max" amount?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the baby, that is a huge blessing :):). I do not know your school's COA or if you have taken a loan in the past as some loans have an aggregate lifetime borrowing limit which determines how much you can use for federal direct unsubsidized loans. You will likely max that out regardless because they have a limit of I believe 47k/yr (that is what I got, at least), so you will have to take out a graduate plus loan.

The grad plus loan does a credit check so make sure you have good credit or have a co-signer ready. The graduate plus allows you to borrow the COA minus any other loans (i.e. federal direct unsubsidized). If whatever is left is not sufficient for you to live and take care of your baby and wife, you will have to petition to your school for more money (not always granted) or take out a private loan. Although you are looking for a precise amount X of how much excess people have after paying for school, the answer is not straightforward due to differing COA's, cost of living's in different cities, having kids, etc. Best of luck to you in school and as a parent as well!

TL;DR: you will more than likely have to petition to your school for more money or take out private loans. When they factor in COL, they consider expenses for one person ( student), but you will be paying for 3 ppl.

Last edited:
Congrats on the baby, that is a huge blessing :):). I do not know your school's COA or if you have taken a loan in the past as some loans have an aggregate lifetime borrowing limit which determines how much you can use for federal direct unsubsidized loans. You will likely max that out regardless because they have a limit of I believe 47k/yr (that is what I got, at least), so you will have to take out a graduate plus loan.

The grad plus loan does a credit check so make sure you have good credit or have a co-signer ready. The graduate plus allows you to borrow the COA minus any other loans (i.e. federal direct unsubsidized). If whatever is left is not sufficient for you to live and take care of your baby and wife, you will have to petition to your school for more money (not always granted) or take out a private loan. Although you are looking for a precise amount X of how much excess people have after paying for school, the answer is not straightforward due to differing COA's, cost of living's in different cities, having kids, etc. Best of luck to you in school and as a parent as well!

TL;DR: you will more than likely have to petition to your school for more money or take out private loans. When they factor in COL, they consider expenses for one person ( student), but you will be paying for 3 ppl.
Thank you so much! We are so excited! This is very helpful! I was under the impression that it was just for the expenses of one person so that is why I was stressing about having to pay for 3 of us. Thank you

Thank you so much! We are so excited! This is very helpful! I was under the impression that it was just for the expenses of one person so that is why I was stressing about having to pay for 3 of us. Thank you
You absolutely should be excited, that is so awesome! So, when they do factor in the cost of living expenses, it is only for one person. I should have said:
When they factor in COL, they consider expenses for ONLY one person ( student), but you will be paying for 3 ppl.

This means you will have to ask your school for more money or take out private loans because they do not consider other family members in their estimated cost of attendance. Sorry for not being more clear. Definitely call your schools financial aid office as well, they get paid to answer such questions.