How much sleep do you get a night during the school year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much do you sleep in the school year per day?

• 1-2 hr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-4 hrs

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • 5-6 hrs

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • 6+ hrs

Votes: 62 48.1%

• Total voters

byeh2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get about 4 to 5 hours of sleep. Coffee is the only thing keeping me up during the school year.

Members don't see this ad.

I usually get about 5-6 hours. During exam weeks, though, I'm lucky to get three hours a night.

Members don't see this ad :)
Average is around 6 per night....... if I'm really lucky/ tired/ or don't care about studying then I get a lot more, but usually that's rare.

Usually around 6. I think I am biologically incapable of going to bed early. Even if i have time.

i am jealous of all of you who get 6+ hours of sleep. i wish i had the time for that during the school year. though even if i did, i suffer from insomia so i don't sleep anyways. guess i'm preparing myself for residency a bit early!

My sleep pattern involves pulling an all-nighter and then sleeping 8 hours. The next night I go back to staying up for most or all of the night. My record is four all-nighters during a 10 day period.

the poll options are sorta silly. if anyone is getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night (on average), then there is something seriously wrong. the average human being needs 8 hours. EIGHT. get more sleep. i promise you, whatever you are doing instead of sleeping is honestly not worth it, if you are only getting 5 hours a night. you're only doing injury to yourself, and you are probably going to be less efficient / energetic during the hours that you happen to be awake.

Haha, I get 8-9.

crazy_cavalier said:
the poll options are sorta silly. if anyone is getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night (on average), then there is something seriously wrong. the average human being needs 8 hours. EIGHT. get more sleep. i promise you, whatever you are doing instead of sleeping is honestly not worth it, if you are only getting 5 hours a night. you're only doing injury to yourself, and you are probably going to be less efficient / energetic during the hours that you happen to be awake.

ditto

Last semester I was only working 10 hrs/week and got 8 hours of sleep everynight...it was nice. 7:30 a.m. class was great, I was wide awake. But this fall, I'll be working 20 hrs/week, taking 17 credit hours, and trying to spend atleast one afternoon a week in a research lab, so I'll probably just be sleeping around 6 hours a night.

With rare exceptions, I always got 7-9 (more on weekends). I would sacrifice social life before sleep.

I never go below 6, studies have shown that if you don't get at least 6 you're memory is shot the next day compared to those who get 6. I try for 8 when not in the midst of exams.

crazy_cavalier said:

I agree. This is a pointless poll. It's not even possible to survive off of 1-2 hours of sleep, and studies show that those who sleep 3-4 hours a night during weekdays compensate by sleeping 10+ hours on the weekends, considerably raising their average.

crazy_cavalier said:
the average human being needs 8 hours.

Yep. And there are certainly people who go way above or below that average. Jay Leno, for instance, sleeps about three hours a night. Or look at your grandparents. Many older adults do not need much sleep. Teenagers, on the other hand, need lots of sleep to help with physical development. The amount of sleep that you need should not be an indicator of what everyone else needs.

My philosophy on sleep has always been that life holds too much excitement for sleep when we're young. On the other hand, I often wake up in the morning after my 5-6 hour nocturnal "naps" feeling like the living dead... Let's not even mention my current caffeine addiction. I'll just say that you know you've got a problem when you need a cup of coffee to assuage the withdrawal headaches and settle your nerves in order to actually fall asleep... :scared:

Alas, I shall continue feeding that addiction and in doing so, I will also continue to support the coffeebean growers of the world! Ha ha, I already have my "graduation/med-school matriculation" present to myself picked out... La Pavoni Napolitana Espresso Maker... I can see it now, in med school, i'll be the unit's barista...

(I should start a Caffeine-Addict's Anonymous or something, no?) :D