How much statistics is required on your transcript to get licensed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hereandnow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I taught myself multiple regression over the Christmas holiday and successfully completed all of the coursework for the upcoming spring semester clinical psychology PhD graduate statistics class. The professor has seen my work and given me permission to waive the class, which is the second half of the one-year statistics curriculum for our graduate clinical psychology program. I am seriously considering waiving the class and taking another class in its place so that I can get a head start on the second year course work. (I am in my first year of graduate school.)

My clinical director, however, has told me that, even though I am competent and qualified to place out of the multiple regression statistics class, that I should take it anyway so that I can get it on my transcript. She says that the APA licensure stipulations may require (though she's not sure) that I have two statistics classes on my record, otherwise I will not be able to be licensed.

I have thought about taking the course anyways just to put it on my record, however, I believe that because of the maximum overload threshold of courses that I can take, this would mean that I would have to give up getting a head start on my second year.

At any rate, does anybody know if it is in fact true that I am required to have a least two statistics courses on my transcript in order to get licensed?

Thank you for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know your entire situation, but if I were in your place I would try to get a waiver to go 3 credits over the limit and take the regression class. If you truly are competent, the regression course should be a breeze. ALso, 2 stats classes? We have to take 12 credits of stats classes in my program. I've taken specific classes on regression and SEM in addition to the one-year sequence in our program - Wow. 2 classes sounds nice :)

So I taught myself multiple regression over the Christmas holiday and successfully completed all of the coursework for the upcoming spring semester clinical psychology PhD graduate statistics class. The professor has seen my work and given me permission to waive the class, which is the second half of the one-year statistics curriculum for our graduate clinical psychology program. I am seriously considering waiving the class and taking another class in its place so that I can get a head start on the second year course work. (I am in my first year of graduate school.)

My clinical director, however, has told me that, even though I am competent and qualified to place out of the multiple regression statistics class, that I should take it anyway so that I can get it on my transcript. She says that the APA licensure stipulations may require (though she's not sure) that I have two statistics classes on my record, otherwise I will not be able to be licensed.

I have thought about taking the course anyways just to put it on my record, however, I believe that because of the maximum overload threshold of courses that I can take, this would mean that I would have to give up getting a head start on my second year.

At any rate, does anybody know if it is in fact true that I am required to have a least two statistics courses on my transcript in order to get licensed?

Thank you for listening.

Thank you for your wise response. This exactly what I will be doing. I will get the waiver (hopefully) and just take more classes than usual.