How much time do we get 2nd year summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am wondering. How much time do I get after taking my boards second year and the beginning of third year. I'm supposing it's school specific, but just give me a number so I get an idea. I know it's a short time :)

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

We had 7 weeks from the end of final exams to the beginning of rotations, but that amount varies a lot between schools. An option some people take is to schedule an elective / vacation block as their first rotation and push back the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
We get out May 22nd and our first rotation is July 28th. We're required to take the COMLEX by June 17th this year.
can you take the comlex and usmle during that time? I ask because I read that the tests are a little different in the way they ask questions, not to mention the Usmle is harder.

Between end of courses and rotations? I have 4 weeks.
Between boards and first rotation? I have 3 days.

Damn that is brutal. Was secretly hoping for at least a week.

Thanks for replies!

Thanks for replies!
Well you can schedule your boards whenever you want (as long as you take it before rotations begin) so if you want a week off between boards and rotations, that's totally doable - but you will sacrifice board study time.

can you take the comlex and usmle during that time? I ask because I read that the tests are a little different in the way they ask questions, not to mention the Usmle is harder.

Most people who take both do USMLE first, then study Savarese anywhere from a few days to a week along with a few hundred OMM questions, then take COMLEX. You're right that the question style is different, but USMLE is not a harder test. If anything it seemed easier because the questions were more straightforward.

Well you can schedule your boards whenever you want (as long as you take it before rotations begin) so if you want a week off between boards and rotations, that's totally doable - but you will sacrifice board study time.

My study time :'(

Was hoping to get married. No we can't this summer. Thanks again for replies! I'll have to decide later.

Thanks for replies!

3 days in a row that I don't have to study?!? Sounds like a vacay to me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We get out May 22nd and our first rotation is July 28th. We're required to take the COMLEX by June 17th this year.

Lol that's ridic. My school requires us to take it by June ~16-17 too, but we start rotation orientation June 22. What's with the required month off?

And our students(PNWU) complain of little time off to get to their rotation sites....seems like LECOM is worse

And our students(PNWU) complain of little time off to get to their rotation sites....seems like LECOM is worse

As for LECOM (Erie), last year was apparently the historic shortest amount of time between end of class and start of rotation. We finished with class May 17th and rotations started June 3. It's changed this year though and they now have a the whole month of June to study.

I basically had April to July, class didn't end officially till mid may, but the last bit of classes was so light as to essentially be nothing.

Took the tests in early June, then had a few weeks off before rotations started.

My study time :'(

Was hoping to get married. No we can't this summer. Thanks again for replies! I'll have to decide later.

I'm on the exact same boat as you... :( It's not seeming very doable right now. Especially since our weddings are a few days long

Do you know if DCOM lets you have a vacation month first? Is there only one vacation month the entire 3rd/4th year? I'm looking at the schedule and I can't figure it out.

be sure to check your school requirements. I had to have a PASSING board score to go to clinicals. If you failed, you didn't go to third year. If your score wasn't back in time you got delayed. Check your school requirements carefully.

As for LECOM (Erie), last year was apparently the historic shortest amount of time between end of class and start of rotation. We finished with class May 17th and rotations started June 3. It's changed this year though and they now have a the whole month of June to study.

Are you sure about this? Second years keep telling us they start rotations June 2 and finals are around the 15th of May. Did some of them not get the message?

Do you know if DCOM lets you have a vacation month first? Is there only one vacation month the entire 3rd/4th year? I'm looking at the schedule and I can't figure it out.

That first month is your vacation month third year... They make you take it in June to make sure you pass COMLEX...