How much time for each?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandabear121

Reaction score
I was setting up a study plan and I was planning on using resources in the following order. How much time does each take to finish and should i change anything? Time really isn't an issue.

1. Content review (eg. JackSparrow Anki, kaplan books, going through class notes)
2. UWorld
3. JackWestin
4. AAMC Qbank (which ones should I use)
5. FLs (I want to do abt 10 before i take the actual thing so which ones should i take besides AAMC)

Members don't see this ad.

I was setting up a study plan and I was planning on using resources in the following order. How much time does each take to finish and should i change anything? Time really isn't an issue.

1. Content review (eg. JackSparrow Anki, kaplan books, going through class notes)
2. UWorld
3. JackWestin
4. AAMC Qbank (which ones should I use)
5. FLs (I want to do abt 10 before i take the actual thing so which ones should i take besides AAMC)
I would not go through your class notes as they will likely be far too in-depth. You can't really effectively review four+ semesters of content in that much depth and retain a significant amount. Instead, focus on high-yield stuff like what is covered in the Kaplan books and refer back to your class notes if you truly don't understand something.

Keep doing your Anki EVERY DAY. If you slack off, your cards will pile up and it is very hard to catch up. Lots of people get demotivated when they see that they have several days' worth of cards to do.

I also recommend doing your JackWestin every day, but I would only do one or two passages per day.

After your content review, then move onto UWorld. There are approximately 2,000 questions, which is approximately three weeks if you do 100 problems per day. You should be able to do that many if you can study full-time, but make sure you also REVIEW the content for questions you didn't understand or got wrong. You should understand the concept of what you missed or, if it is not a question you missed due to not knowing the material, figure out why you missed it (careless error, rushing, misread the question, etc.)

After you do UWorld, you should set aside roughly another 2-4 weeks to do AAMC material. I'd err on the side of 3-4 weeks. You should do ALL of the AAMC material. It is the closest thing to the types of questions you will see during your actual test. UWorld has the best explanations of all the test prep material, but nothing can replace doing all of the AAMC material. It will get you used to how they ask questions.

Some people do take ~10 FL exams, but I honestly think that is too many. You should definitely do the ~5 that are from the AAMC and I would personally only add on more if you still need to get your pacing/timing down. I went from ~495 before studying at all to ~520 on the real deal. I only took the 5 from the AAMC on a practice exam from The Princeton Review. Whatever you do, don't place too much emphasis on a single score from any exam, especially if it is a full-length from a third party. Many companies (Kaplan, TPR, etc.) try to tell you that you scored lower than you likely would on the real MCAT because they are trying to scare you into buying one of their prep classes.

Reactions: 1 users