How Much Volunteer Work is Reasonable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsprague12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accidentally posted this in re-applicant forum, but i meant to ask it here.

I currently volunteer at a temporary home for sick children while they participate in studies at NIH. However, I only volunteer for about 6-7 hours/month. I'm thinking this is not enough. I've tried finding opportunities at local hospitals but haven't had any success since I can really only do weekends. So, is 6-7 hours a month enough?

Members don't see this ad.

dsprague12 said:

I currently volunteer at a temporary home for sick children while they participate in studies at NIH. However, I only volunteer for about 6-7 hours/month. I'm thinking this is not enough. I've tried finding opportunities at local hospitals but haven't had any success since I can really only do weekends. So, is 6-7 hours a month enough?

If I were you, I would keep volunteering that 6-7 hours a month (maybe a little more) and try to shadow a physician as well. I can guarantee that that you probably shadow 6-7 hours more than most pre-meds. I strongly believe that humanitarianism can open many doors for you in life. I can not stress how important volunteering can be when it comes to standing out among your fellow peers, when applying to med school. It definitely gives you a chance to present a much stronger application. Having an excellent academic record and humanitarian contributions allows the admissions committee to see that you are a bright as well as compassionate individual. These are the kinds of doctors that med schools want to produce. I think you are fine at 6-7 hours a week. However, if you can make the time, a few more hours couldn’t hurt anything. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Yours,
Caraway

dsprague12 said:

This is just an example. I interned at the ER department of our local hospital. It was for credits, and I did 4-8 hours a week. That amount seemed decent to me. Not too much, nor too little. It gave enough experience to allow myself to reflect on what I observed.

I would say that 6-7 hours a WEEK is more beneficial.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
clc8503 said:
If I were you, I would keep volunteering that 6-7 hours a month (maybe a little more) and try to shadow a physician as well. I can guarantee that that you probably shadow 6-7 hours more than most pre-meds. I strongly believe that humanitarianism can open many doors for you in life. I can not stress how important volunteering can be when it comes to standing out among your fellow peers, when applying to med school. It definitely gives you a chance to present a much stronger application. Having an excellent academic record and humanitarian contributions allows the admissions committee to see that you are a bright as well as compassionate individual. These are the kinds of doctors that med schools want to produce. I think you are fine at 6-7 hours a week. However, if you can make the time, a few more hours couldn’t hurt anything. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Yours,
Caraway

I do clinical research during the week for my job, so I have a good amount of patient contact through that. I don't really shadow doctors in my volunteer position, I just get to play with the kids. But, I'm not particularly worried about needing to shadow a doctor at this point, just need to know what amount of volunteer work is needed for adcoms. I just want to have some free time. I think I'll see if I can boost my hours to 12-14 hours/month.

Thanks for the advice.

dsprague12 said:
I do clinical research during the week for my job, so I have a good amount of patient contact through that. I don't really shadow doctors in my volunteer position, I just get to play with the kids. But, I'm not particularly worried about needing to shadow a doctor at this point, just need to know what amount of volunteer work is needed for adcoms. I just want to have some free time. I think I'll see if I can boost my hours to 12-14 hours/month.

Thanks for the advice.

I may be wrong, but there is not a said x number of hours in order to look good or make the adcoms recognize you more. Just make sure you talk about your experiences and what you learned from it.

Not that I am recommending anything devious... but there is no form on AMCAS that asks how many hours a week did you do this activity. It asks from what month/year to what month/year.

It kinda depends on whether you are more research or clinical

but I would say that longer term is always good, even if you can only work a few hours a week during the school year.