How much weight does course load have on adcoms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bears1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did an engineering degree while working in construction design full time. About once a year I was able to do (4) classes in a semester but most semesters were (3) classes a semester including summers. My DIY postbacc was 2 lectures and 2 labs each semester also while working full time at the same company. How much affect will my light course-load have on my ability to secure an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. It didn't even occur to me that it might be a hindrance until I saw that most premed students take 6 classes a semester. Does the application specifically ask about work experience during school or do I need to clarify that I worked during school in my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll have to input all of your experiences on the AACOMAS application. There are sections for volunteering, shadowing, work, etc. as far as i remember.

you might even have to enter that kind of info more than one time because some schools have really annoying secondary apps.

Reactions: 1 user
you'll have to input all of your experiences on the AACOMAS application. There are sections for volunteering, shadowing, work, etc. as far as i remember.

you might even have to enter that kind of info more than one time because some schools have really annoying secondary apps.
That's good news (I don't mind the redundancy) I was worried adcoms would see my low cGPA (3.14) and toss my app. I am hoping my work experience will offset the low GPA a bit along with a 3.51gpa from my engineering school (2.44 from CC before engineering school).

That's good news (I don't mind the redundancy) I was worried adcoms would see my low cGPA (3.14) and toss my app. I am hoping my work experience will offset the low GPA a bit along with a 3.51gpa from my engineering school (2.44 from CC before engineering school).

A guy I know goes to U Kentucky for med school with an engineering background and they LOVED him for that. I don't think you should be worried at all. Just apply broadly, send some apps to the newer schools to be safe.

As long as you're doing well, you'll be fine.

Taking one class a year? Not fine.

I did an engineering degree while working in construction design full time. About once a year I was able to do (4) classes in a semester but most semesters were (3) classes a semester including summers. My DIY postbacc was 2 lectures and 2 labs each semester also while working full time at the same company. How much affect will my light course-load have on my ability to secure an interview?

As long as you're doing well, you'll be fine.

Taking one class a year? Not fine.
Believe it or not there is a 50+ year old women in one of my prereq classes that is doing 2 classes a year. She said she had been in school for over ten years. She wasn't kidding. I think she was pre-nursing.

I know this is late but screw whoever at AACOMAS decided to abruptly remove grade replacement. My backup plan has gone from a year of retakes and re-applying to international med school :(

A guy I know goes to U Kentucky for med school with an engineering background and they LOVED him for that. I don't think you should be worried at all. Just apply broadly, send some apps to the newer schools to be safe.
My focus has been on new schools and schools that have high MCAT over high GPA. I know everyone keeps saying to apply to the best schools that you can get into but I honestly don't care about which school I get in to as long as I get in.

Reactions: 1 user

I wouldn't say none. An adcom that sees an individual who had taken 5 classes with all A's vs someone who has taken only three with all A's (assuming they were similar in difficulty) might think that the former is more prepared to handle medical school.

Overall though, it's not a be all end all. As long as you did well that's what matters. If you did well with a heavy course load, it can only help with the "wow" factor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you want to practice medicine in the US, go to a US school.

One year of a good post-bac, and a decent MCAT, will get you into a med school here.

Believe it or not there is a 50+ year old women in one of my prereq classes that is doing 2 classes a year. She said she had been in school for over ten years. She wasn't kidding. I think she was pre-nursing.

I know this is late but screw whoever at AACOMAS decided to abruptly remove grade replacement. My backup plan has gone from a year of retakes and re-applying to international med school :(

There are a couple schools that ask you specifically about time management in your secondary essays (RVU and KCU off the top of my head) and I think schools like these will definitely dig your story.