How much will I get hazed if I use the DLX Triple head my mom gave me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NearnstPotentia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much will I get hazed if I use the DLX Triple head my mom gave me?

Worth it to buy a regular one?

I am a first year working in an outpatient setting with residents and an attending. I usually follow around the attending or get sent to see "easy" patients by the residents. I have to do physical exams (often while being supervised) among other things and report to the resident or attending depending on the day.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared for a few swirlys and for people to steal your lunch money.

It's a good stethoscope. It's free. Use it.

I really doubt anyone cares. Get the most out of it. If that is a good stethoscope and that's your point (I don't know anything about that stethoscope) then at least you know the only thing limiting your exam is you.

To me it's way more toolish to buy a cheap tool in order to let a great one rot in a closet in order to avoid looking toolish.

I really doubt anyone cares. Get the most out of it. If that is a good stethoscope and that's your point (I don't know anything about that stethoscope) then at least you know the only thing limiting your exam is you.

To me it's way more toolish to buy a cheap tool in order to let a great one rot in a closet in order to avoid looking toolish.

Agreed. Use the DLX triple head. It's supposed to be a good steth, and someone you love gave it to you!

why do you need so much head?

med school is basically just like high school so yes you will get a lot of flak for it...especially from those trying really hard to seem too cool for school.... but the trick is to own it and not let it phase you

who cares what they think? med students are losers anyways.

I should clarify that I have a Harvey DLX and haven't really gotten anything but mild teasing from it every now and then. You're not going to have any problems.

if you're being serious does that mean you're a robot with no sense of humor?

actually no, I have yet to meet an new grad or medical student who knew how to use a stethoscope, much less hear anything other than glaringly obvious murmurs.

Okay I'm going to use it. I guess I should just be glad she got me one and it wasn't that enormous one that needs batteries.

edit: for those wondering I can't return the triplehead because it's engraved

Okay I'm going to use it. I guess I should just be glad she got me one and it wasn't that enormous one that needs batteries.

edit: for those wondering I can't return the triplehead because it's engraved

are you really serious? You got an awesome steth and you're legitimately concerned about what med students think to the point that you would return it? Are you really that self conscious?

are you really serious? You got an awesome steth and you're legitimately concerned about what med students think to the point that you would return it? Are you really that self conscious?

I'm much more concerned about something like this:

Attending: Okay Nearnst go listen to this patient and tell me what you hear. If you can't hear "it" with your stet you suck ass :laugh:. No honors for you (soup nazi accent).

It's like when you were a little kid and someone came to class with the best ____________ only to be beaten by someone with an inferior ________________. Embarrassing for that person and you tend to smirk or laugh to yourself or among your peers.

I know we're first years but we've already done auscultation in our year long clinical modules course.

actually no, I have yet to meet an new grad or medical student who knew how to use a stethoscope, much less hear anything other than glaringly obvious murmurs.

You should teach us o great wise one.

Attending: Okay Nearnst go listen to this patient and tell me what you hear. If you can't hear "it" with your stet you suck ass :laugh:. No honors for you (soup nazi accent).

It's like when you were a little kid and someone came to class with the best ____________ only to be beaten by someone with an inferior ________________. Embarrassing for that person and you tend to smirk or laugh to yourself or among your peers.

I know we're first years but we've already done auscultation in our year long clinical modules course.

this post warrants mention of burnette's law.

you do of course realize that your attendings and residents will not expect you, a first year med student, to be able to know anything. I mean have you ever heard a murmur? Do you know what normal sounds like? It takes time to get decent. That steth will be great once you start getting more practice. Also I bet others on your team will want to use it.

oh you fancy huh?

if you're being serious does that mean you're a robot with no sense of humor?

Plenty funny without commentary.

you do of course realize that your attendings and residents will not expect you, a first year med student, to be able to know anything. I mean have you ever heard a murmur? Do you know what normal sounds like? It takes time to get decent. That steth will be great once you start getting more practice. Also I bet others on your team will want to use it.
Actually, I think you'll find that even towards the end of your third year, attendings don't expect you to know anything. It really is a good stethoscope, and though I can't use it all that well, the difference in sound quality between it and everything else I've used, including a Cardio 3, is quite obvious.