How necessary is anatomy and physiology class for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rikkibot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently signing up for my spring classes and am having a hard time deciding what to take. I am signed up for inorganic chemistry II and anatomy and physiology, but I am thinking of dropping a&p and taking Physics II instead. My original plan was to take physics this summer, but now I'm thinking I should use the summer for MCAT prep.

My question, would it be bad to drop A&P and just self study during the summer, or is it something that I need a formal class to study?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

A&P will be very helpful in your medical school 1st year curriculum.

However, you can get the MCAT score you want with taking only the courses required for the MCAT and a solid MCAT prep.

I cannot stress enough that the MCAT can be done with a solid passing knowledge of the sciences (outside knowledge) and a very, very solid reasoning/problem solving/common sense and ability to quickly disseminate dense passages of material. Study for the MCAT by studying the MCAT, not by studying for the MCAT.

To answer your question directly, I had A&P and it was helpful for medical school. It is nice, but nothing needed, for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Not necessary for the MCAT. Not terribly helpful for the MCAT. Might be helpful for med school, but depends on the curriculum at your school. No matter how much they cover, it's unlikely that it covers the material with the same depth. You'll know all the basics from the get-go, though, so that could be a nice base to learn from.

Reactions: 1 user