How necessary is research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How necessary is research for acceptance to med school? I know it is highly desired for top 10-20 schools, but what about top 40 schools or just med schools in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessary, especially at schools with a more service oriented mission

On a related note, is it worth putting research down in your ECs if you have no pubs/posters?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've done research, it's definitely worth including in your application even if you have no publications or posters. Although research involvement is not necessary for admission to most medical schools, there are important skills and qualities that you acquire or develop through the research process. These are of interest to med schools.

How necessary is research for acceptance to med school? I know it is highly desired for top 10-20 schools, but what about top 40 schools or just med schools in general?
As I always harp, do things like research because YOU like and love the science, doing experiments, learning that field, etc. NOT to check off boxes. Box-checkers are extremely transparent, especially in interviews, whereas another person with the same ECs with actual true passion will shine.

Bottom line for research: If you did it, fantastic. If you did it and don't have a publication, still fantastic.If you did it and have a publication, brilliant. If you didn't do it, it's not a death sentence.

You can judge for yourself from MSAR data.

As I always harp, do things like research because YOU like and love the science, doing experiments, learning that field, etc. NOT to check off boxes. Box-checkers are extremely transparent, especially in interviews, whereas another person with the same ECs with actual true passion will shine.

Bottom line for research: If you did it, fantastic. If you did it and don't have a publication, still fantastic.If you did it and have a publication, brilliant. If you didn't do it, it's not a death sentence.
Thanks for your input homie. While I get the aversion to box-checkers, there is nothing wrong with covering all your bases.