How NOT to make a good impression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MackandBlues

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a post sent out on the ACCP ID prn email group which basically consists of most of the infectious diseases clinical pharmacists in the country plus other pharmacists.

Hello all,

I am a third year pharmacy student and for one of my classes I am being asked to develop a treatment algorithm for the treatment of UTI's at a hypothetical urgent care center. The major issue the scenario was trying to address was the overuse of fluoroquinolones. I intend on using the current IDSA guidelines in addition to other materials. If anyone could pass along any articles, studies, or other information that would be helpful, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the big deal? I am sure we all have asked for articles before. I have even sent my presentation to my friend so she can generate some ideas

What is the big deal? I am sure we all have asked for articles before. I have even sent my presentation to my friend so she can generate some ideas

LOL. So sending a request for homework help on a professional listserv is "not a big deal"? You are killing me. :lol:

LOL. So sending a request for homework help on a professional listserv is "not a big deal"? You are killing me. :lol:

Why start from scratch? I think this student is smart by going to the source directly. She's gathering information and this is a good way to do it.

I know some people don't want to help her because they feel it's her job to find the information herself. That's fine as well but that doesn't mean what she did was not practical.

Why start from scratch? I think this student is smart by going to the source directly. She's gathering information and this is a good way to do it.

You are probably right. I am sure those pharmacists feel exactly the same way. :thumbup:

Well they just want articles, nothing wrong with that. They don't want their project written for them. E-mails like that pop up on our national Clinical Pharmacists Listserv from residents/pharmacists all the time.

Well they just want articles, nothing wrong with that. They don't want their project written for them. E-mails like that pop up on our national Clinical Pharmacists Listserv from residents/pharmacists all the time.

So if your preceptor gave you a presentation to do, you would ask them to give you the articles needed to do the presentation?

And just to clarify this something you should NOT do. It's going around the email circuit and people are taking note.

So if your preceptor gave you a presentation to do, you would ask them to give you the articles needed to do the presentation?

Is that what she's doing? How is it different from asking a friend or a colleague if he's aware of any good articles? She's not asking them to do the guideline for her after all.

Is that what she's doing? How is it different from asking a friend or a colleague if he's aware of any good articles? She's not asking them to do the guideline for her after all.

Yes that is what this person is doing. They are asking people to do their research for them. It's called a pubmed search that this person is to lazy to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that is what this person is doing. They are asking people to do their research for them. It's called a pubmed search that this person is to lazy to do.

You are assuming she has not researched the information herself. I did not see that in the email. As a matter of fact, it appears she has already done some research.

One of the PD1s last year sent out a mass email to the listserv trying to drum up customers for her home jewelry business.

One of the PD1s last year sent out a mass email to the listserv trying to drum up customers for her home jewelry business.

LOL I was JUST chatting with someone on FB saying this reminded me of people who abuse the COP listserv with stupid stuff. Great minds think alike I guess!

It's not the student's fault entirely...half of the stuff on the PRN listservs is people asking for others to do their work for them. It's just as embarrassing for them as it is for the student. I'd fail the student for that project, though. At a student level, it's about the process, not the results. And no Kobayashi Maru scenarios for me either - you do the work.

It's not the student's fault entirely...half of the stuff on the PRN listservs is people asking for others to do their work for them. It's just as embarrassing for them as it is for the student. I'd fail the student for that project, though. At a student level, it's about the process, not the results. And no Kobayashi Maru scenarios for me either - you do the work.

Kobayashi maru:smuggrin:

As a student, I can understand what that person might be going through. Assuming this person did a proper PubMed Search/EMBASE Search/EBSCOHOST Search and was not able to find a proper guideline or suggestion on this topic then I think this is a very legitimate reason to post on the PRN. If this was the case I think they should of provided more detail on what theyactually searched. If this person did not do any of that then that is just plain lazy. May be the style that this person went about doing this wasn't so clean.

As a student, I can understand what that person might be going through. Assuming this person did a proper PubMed Search/EMBASE Search/EBSCOHOST Search and was not able to find a proper guideline or suggestion on this topic then I think this is a very legitimate reason to post on the PRN. If this was the case I think they should of provided more detail on what theyactually searched. If this person did not do any of that then that is just plain lazy. May be the style that this person went about doing this wasn't so clean.

I've never found it difficult to locate a guideline. Further, if on rotation, the institution probably has specific protocols/guidelines to consider. Part of pharmacy school is learning how to find appropriate sources and analyze them. The pharmacists I work with use that skill pretty much daily.

Yes, there may be certain articles that are difficult to obtain because the institution doesn't have access. That may be an appropriate time to request the article via library or whatever the process is for that school.

There is lots of information out there about that topic though. Personally, I think it is lazy and it is unacceptable to ask for homework help on a listserve.

It's worth pointing out here that this is a student, too. Even if residents/pharmacists email this stuff out all the time, it's different when it's a STUDENT.

This student is clueless. Yes, s/he knows about IDSA guidelines, but apparently she does not know that there are references in the guidelines that are a perfect place to start for more info. It also does not seem that s/he knowns how to do a PubMed search. I see no evidence that she has even pulled the guidelines (which could have been a suggestion in the assignment, for all we know). S/he didn't include any info she found, so it's basically wanting someone else to do half her assignment for her.

Yes, this is the wrong thing to do. A large part of an assignment like this is finding appropriate literature. It would be different if she had come across competing ideas in different papers and asked a listserv what is followed in actual practice. I don't think most would mind a quick answer on that. But no way in heck would I take the time to help some third year student to find papers s/he should be able to find in less time than it takes her to compose a question to a professional listserv. The fact that she chose to write to a listserv implies s/he's either really lazy or should not be in the third year of a professional program.

Stop saying "she"...it was for sure a "he." I got the email...I just deleted it. FQ resistance in UTI stuff is out there.

People email the list serve looking for articles all the time, but it is usually for something specific they don't have access to.

I also thought this was tacky when I first received the email