How often should you change burs in preclinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
topic, like after how many preps?

Members don't see this ad.

You can clean diamond burs and use them multiple times. Carbide burs get clogged up on plastic teeth and should be swapped pretty often if you want any cutting efficiency. Or use them 10+ times if you like the smell of burnt plastic and working out finger muscles :)

When your start to smoke.
You can clean diamond burs and use them multiple times. Carbide burs get clogged up on plastic teeth and should be swapped pretty often if you want any cutting efficiency. Or use them 10+ times if you like the smell of burnt plastic and working out finger muscles :)
Not to mention increasing the wear on the turbine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the prep. If it's a slot prep, you can use them multiple times. If it's an MODL on a molar, switch it after. I keep some dull ones around to refine my walls and pulpal floor though.

If they are free, use a new one every session (because why not). But we were only given a limited amount of diamonds, and I try to get as much use out of those as I can. I've used the same bur for probably 12 crown preps. It takes a while but I can't bring myself to throw one away.