How old is "too old" for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How old is "too old" to apply to medical school?

• 30+

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • 35+

Votes: 43 11.0%
  • 40+

Votes: 70 17.9%
  • 45+

Votes: 57 14.6%
  • 50+

Votes: 58 14.9%
  • 55+

Votes: 17 4.4%
  • 60+

Votes: 16 4.1%
  • 65+

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 70+

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Never too old to go back to school and/or follow your dreams

Votes: 87 22.3%

• Total voters

georgia_md

yo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your participation in this survey is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say probably ~45 at the time you enter medical school. At that point you'll be well over 50 before you can actually practice and even then you're only able to practice ~15-20 years before you're either too old to work or want to retire. There are exceptions, but generally I think that's it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say probably ~45 at the time you enter medical school. At that point you'll be well over 50 before you can actually practice and even then you're only able to practice ~15-20 years before you're either too old to work or want to retire. There are exceptions, but generally I think that's it.

maybe 40-45+

I don't think you're ever too old to accomplish what you want in life. However, you might have to think practically about whether or not you can afford the amount of effort it takes to complete med school and residency when you approach say 50+. I've heard many docs say knowing what they know now, they wouldn't have the stamina to endure the process again at an older age.

A guy in my class is 42. Smart man, has a Ph.D and taught on a college level. I think you are never too old!

You're too old if there's a high probability you'll be dead before finishing residency. What specific age that is, I don't know, but probably pretty old. I mean, who would really want to spend their last years that way?

I met an OLD lady on our school round bus and was so shocked she was on it (next to all kids our age) and she asked me about a location and i helped her and asked if she was visiting her son (obviously itd be grandson because she was so old but i was being respectful) and she said no she has a new class in a building (at least 80 btw) and i asked her why n how she took all the class and she just said its not for a job or anything im just so passionate about ______. she even said she set the curve on her final in the last class she just took and heard groans from the students hahaha. if you still got it, flaunt it :love:

I go to NYCOM where we have an emigre physicians program. This is for people who were Drs in their native countries, but can't be here for whatever reason (not equivilant degree, can't pass boards in english, etc). These people all have established families, their own children already in high school and college. Some are 50+yoa. Granted, they already practiced as physicians, but still, they have to do all the same work as the 1st timers, so it's just like starting fresh. As long as you're willing to work hard, and have the stamina to do so, no age is too old. I'm sure there will be some 50yo's who can handle working 72hrs straight better than some 20yo's. It all really depends on the person.

hell, my father is 58 and he decided to change specialties and so now he's a resident again.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow? What was so profound or insulting in my post that warranted a "wow,"? From what I've heard, there is a lot of discrimination in surgical residency programs against non-trads, due to the length of training (5-7 years) and the strenuous nature (80 hours a week... ha, riiight). I made a reasonable inquiry.

Back to the topic at hand: I voted for 45+. I don't think people are too old to learn the material, master it, and become excellet doctors at this age, however I do think it is too old if it was me. It makes no sense financially to go to med school at age 46, let's say, graduate at 50, and do a 3+ year residency. You'll be 53 during your first year practicing, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, which ensures you will be dead (most likely) before you pay it off. You will also have a family at that point, probably. You will be working like crazy as a resident, and miss out on family life. You will be a financial burden as a med student to your spouse. Also, you are taking a spot away from someone who is much younger who could be practicing for 3 times as long as you. This argument is useless on the n=1 scale, but with the increasing number of older applicants, it could start to actually make a difference in the system.

I don't see the point of doing it at around 45+ for those reasons. But I certainly would not tell anyone they are too old to do it; it's not my place.

I'd say maybe around 50+. Not because people older than that are "too old" to handle it, but because 4 years med school + about 4 years residency puts them into the working world as a physician at almost 60years old. Now, if they work until 75, that gives them a good 15 years of practice, but had their seat been given to someone half their age...you get the point. I don't want to deny someone their right to pursue their life dreams, but you have to be realistic. There are a limited number of positions in medical schools and a physician shortage that will just be getting worse. The healthcare industry wants to get the most out of each doctor.

I'd say maybe around 50+. Not because people older than that are "too old" to handle it, but because 4 years med school + about 4 years residency puts them into the working world as a physician at almost 60years old. Now, if they work until 75, that gives them a good 15 years of practice, but had their seat been given to someone half their age...you get the point. I don't want to deny someone their right to pursue their life dreams, but you have to be realistic. There are a limited number of positions in medical schools and a physician shortage that will just be getting worse. The healthcare industry wants to get the most out of each doctor.

Well, you are assuming that if you admitted someone younger in that slot they would work more than 15 years post residency. There is no such requirement, and some young people do leave the industry or otherwise retire from practice. With an older applicant, I would think they are more likely to utilize every minute they have got.

I would say 50+ specially if they had to go back and get there pre- reqs and all. By the time that student finishes MD school, and residency they would be looking at 60-63 years old. that even gets worse if you had to take loans out to go through the whole process.

I would say 50+ specially if they had to go back and get there pre- reqs and all. By the time that student finishes MD school, and residency they would be looking at 60-63 years old. that even gets worse if you had to take loans out to go through the whole process.

amazing

Wow? What was so profound or insulting in my post that warranted a "wow,"? From what I've heard, there is a lot of discrimination in surgical residency programs against non-trads, due to the length of training (5-7 years) and the strenuous nature (80 hours a week... ha, riiight). I made a reasonable inquiry.

Back to the topic at hand: I voted for 45+. I don't think people are too old to learn the material, master it, and become excellet doctors at this age, however I do think it is too old if it was me. It makes no sense financially to go to med school at age 46, let's say, graduate at 50, and do a 3+ year residency. You'll be 53 during your first year practicing, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, which ensures you will be dead (most likely) before you pay it off. You will also have a family at that point, probably. You will be working like crazy as a resident, and miss out on family life. You will be a financial burden as a med student to your spouse. Also, you are taking a spot away from someone who is much younger who could be practicing for 3 times as long as you. This argument is useless on the n=1 scale, but with the increasing number of older applicants, it could start to actually make a difference in the system.

I don't see the point of doing it at around 45+ for those reasons. But I certainly would not tell anyone they are too old to do it; it's not my place.

wow, your avatar is aragorn from lord of the rings

Look at that bell curve!

How old is too old is an "it depends" question.

Technically, you could enter medical school at any age. No age is too old.

How old is too old to go to medical school if you want to make money? That would have an age attached to it, depending on the current financial situation.

How old is too old to handle very demanding 80+ hour week residencies (such as surgery?) There are ages that might me too old, depending on their health...

I'd say older than 50-55. A lot of people go through the "midlife" crisis where they've figured out that there original career wasn't very fulfilling and they want to go into something like medicine so they feel they can make a difference and follow their passion. Much after that though, you're just not going to have that much time to actually practice as a doctor. Start when you're 60, 4 years of med school, 3 of residency (at least) you're into retirement age before you're even officially done.

23+, already wayyyyyy past their primes. In a couple of years, theyll have grandkids, walkers, and retirement to consider. Why waste your short life if youre 25?? :smuggrin:

Someone 50+ would often not have to take out loans because they were probably already in the workforce for a few decades.
I don't know of many people, even in the 50+ category, that have a spare $250,000 to pay their tuition and live off (because they probably have a mortgage, children, etc). The older med students that I know are taking out loans (at least those who have apprised me of their financial situation).

*ahem*

To all 10 of you so far who have suggested that 30 is too old to start medical school, I would strongly suggest that you take your rock music and hula hoops and get off of my lawn.

Reactions: 1 users
As many have mentioned, if you can keep up with the material and the workload, you're not too old to enter medicine.

With that said, how is too old for me? I'd say 26, if I'm not in medical school by then, time to move on.

On a personal level I don't entirely agree with the American medical education approach, and favor a the European model where people enter medical school right after essentially high school. This maximizes the usefulness of a trained physician and his/her ability to impact research and healthcare. Essentially you get more bang for the buck.

I think you should be able to work for twice as long as your training took to complete and retire at 65. The average med school and residency will take about 8 years so 65 - 24 = 41. I guess I would say 40+.

30 too old? People must be joking or haven't got a clue. I did the 12+4+4 route but I am not sure that taking a break and working in a different field for a few years wouldn't have been a good thing. I hope I won't feel that old in 3 years!

give it two years and you'll start feeling old. hell, I feel old and I'm only 21

give it two years and you'll start feeling old. hell, I feel old and I'm only 21

Are you talking to me? I remember making the same statement about feeling old when I was 21. Ah, those were the days. Remember, don't give age related advice to someone older than you. I have been through your age and more kid. I don't see how you could have any useful insight on being 29 when you are 21 . . .

Perhaps you can tell me what residency is like too.

I don't know of many people, even in the 50+ category, that have a spare $250,000 to pay their tuition and live off (because they probably have a mortgage, children, etc). The older med students that I know are taking out loans (at least those who have apprised me of their financial situation).

I can't imagine one would go back to school at 50+ without the ability to pay for it, or most of it. Are the oler med students you know really that age? It is unrealistic to expect to pay back six digit student loans when starting at that point - it takes most people more than a decade post residency. You probably can't even get private student loans at that juncture anyhow (although I suppose social security kicks in at some point).

As many have mentioned, if you can keep up with the material and the workload, you're not too old to enter medicine.

With that said, how is too old for me? I'd say 26, if I'm not in medical school by then, time to move on.

On a personal level I don't entirely agree with the American medical education approach, and favor a the European model where people enter medical school right after essentially high school. This maximizes the usefulness of a trained physician and his/her ability to impact research and healthcare. Essentially you get more bang for the buck.

... get more holler for your dollar..lol

I can't imagine one would go back to school at 50+ without the ability to pay for it, or most of it. Are the oler med students you know really that age? It is unrealistic to expect to pay back six digit student loans when starting at that point - it takes most people more than a decade post residency. You probably can't even get private student loans at that juncture anyhow (although I suppose social security kicks in at some point).

Money is irrelevant . It's paper. Having a medical school education is key.

Anyways, there are many organizations that pay off medical school loans for exchange for medical services, e.g. military service, private sector service, government programs, etc....

Money is irrelevant . It's paper. Having a medical school education is key.

Anyways, there are many organizations that pay off medical school loans for exchange for medical services, e.g. military service, private sector service, government programs, etc....

Money is irrelevant after a point, but with a smaller window of employment, you won't get to that point -- was the prior poster's argument.
Military service has a strict age cut-off in terms of paying for school -- it won't help the 50+ crowd. The other programs you suggest may be viable.

Money is irrelevant after a point, but with a smaller window of employment, you won't get to that point -- was the prior poster's argument.
Military service has a strict age cut-off in terms of paying for school -- it won't help the 50+ crowd. The other programs you suggest may be viable.

I am an Officer in the US Army Reserves and I have seen 60+ MDs enter the service. Nowadays, they have a waiver for everything.

But you're right, money is important. But I think not at the cost of following your dreams.

30 is too old. If you are thirty and applying to medical school you might as well just start digging your own grave now. You're too old, and taking up a spot that could've gone to a younger doctor who could do better for a longer period of time. Essentially you're worthless both to the medical system and society in general that 30.

jk lol

30 is too old. If you are thirty and applying to medical school you might as well just start digging your own grave now. You're too old, and taking up a spot that could've gone to a younger doctor who could do better for a longer period of time. Essentially you're worthless both to the medical system and society in general that 30.

jk lol

lol

jk lol

Don't forget to tell women they lose their sex appeal by 30. Sorry, no one finds you attractive at 30; you've become a wrinkled, sagging old bag. Better get lipo and botox stat if you ever hope to seduce the pool boy again.

jk lol

Yep, and your grandkids think you smell funny.

Don't forget to tell women they lose their sex appeal by 30. Sorry, no one finds you attractive at 30; you've become a wrinkled, sagging old bag. Better get lipo and botox stat if you ever hope to seduce the pool boy again.

Yeah...that too. Remember the biological clock is ticking at that point also...

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Fd9GHiMdJA[/YOUTUBE]

Skip to 4:00.

i feel really old. it is my 21st birthday today and i drank tooooo much last night. :D

*ahem*

To all 10 of you so far who have suggested that 30 is too old to start medical school, I would strongly suggest that you take your rock music and hula hoops and get off of my lawn.

*sets bag of poo aflame on Quix's doorstep*

*rings doorbell*