How old is too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustMaybe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am almost 31 and having recurrent pangs of wanting to go to Vet school. Long story start, I started out pre-vet right out of high school in 1995. I never had to study in HS and made good grades, so college was a shock to my system. When I discovered you can't pass Chemistry without studying, I panicked and changed majors a few times, and ended up with a degree in business admin in 2000. After a few dead end jobs, I knew I wanted something more, but committing to 4 years of vet school plus pre-reqs scared me. I ended up doing my pre-reqs for nursing school and got my RN-BSN about a year ago. It was a 15 month program for second degree students.

Now I am thinking I should have followed my gut and gone for vet school. But I have loans from my nursing school, and need to work right now and for at least a few years to catch up. I also don't know how supportive my husband would be of this after putting up with me being in school for most of our marriage. :eek:

So, I am thinking the soonest I can so this is maybe 5 years from now, but I can get my pre-reqs done at a local community college and by independent study from the school I want to go to. If all goes well, I would be 36 when I apply. Assuming I get in, I would graduate at about 40. Is it worth it at this age? BTW I don't dislike nursing, I am a school nurse and LOVE "my" kids, I just have this longing to be a vet. I would especially love to be a vet for a humane society or something like that. Any opinions/advice. Be brutal, I can take it! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am almost 31 and having recurrent pangs of wanting to go to Vet school. Long story start, I started out pre-vet right out of high school in 1995. I never had to study in HS and made good grades, so college was a shock to my system. When I discovered you can't pass Chemistry without studying, I panicked and changed majors a few times, and ended up with a degree in business admin in 2000. After a few dead end jobs, I knew I wanted something more, but committing to 4 years of vet school plus pre-reqs scared me. I ended up doing my pre-reqs for nursing school and got my RN-BSN about a year ago. It was a 15 month program for second degree students.

Now I am thinking I should have followed my gut and gone for vet school. But I have loans from my nursing school, and need to work right now and for at least a few years to catch up. I also don't know how supportive my husband would be of this after putting up with me being in school for most of our marriage. :eek:

So, I am thinking the soonest I can so this is maybe 5 years from now, but I can get my pre-reqs done at a local community college and by independent study from the school I want to go to. If all goes well, I would be 36 when I apply. Assuming I get in, I would graduate at about 40. Is it worth it at this age? BTW I don't dislike nursing, I am a school nurse and LOVE "my" kids, I just have this longing to be a vet. I would especially love to be a vet for a humane society or something like that. Any opinions/advice. Be brutal, I can take it! Thanks!

I was on vacation at the Caribbean Island of Bonaire, when I ran into an older gentleman who was a student at the medical school there. I guessed him to be in his early fifties. He had a successful career as a teacher, rose to become a principal, and retired as a superintendent of the school system. He was financially set, having an excellent pension. He had always wanted to be a family doctor, and now decided to go through the whole thing of medical school, clinical rotations in US hospitals, applying to residency, as a second career. The Bonaire medical school was the only one he had gotten into.
I asked him how old he was. "Im 66", was his reply. To some people its never too late. Age is just a number. If you really want to do it, go for it.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Be brutal, I can take it! Thanks!

Your way too old. ;);) (kidding)

Seriously, there is no reason you shouldn't pursue vet medicine if its something you think you will enjoy. First though exactly how familiar are you with the field? If you haven't gotten some clinical exposure volunteering/shadowing in a veterinary setting that is definitely the first thing you want to do. I know before I started working in a clinic I really didnt know exactly what it is a veterinarian does.

Regarding classes, you could take them at a community college, but the general consensus you will get is that you would probably be better off taking them at a larger university. One particular problem you will run into is that most community colleges don't offer the upper level sciences you will need for vet school. With a nursing degree I would imagine you have taken many of the core science pre-reqs.

I am an occupational therapist. While I also like my job, I can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life...I am not passionate about it.

I started taking prereqs 2 years ago at community colleges and will be starting vet school this fall. Oh yeah, and I am 33 right now. You are never too old to follow your dreams and do what you really love.

One of my classmates is 50. We've got numerous in their mid-thirties. I say go for it!!

I'm starting this fall at the ripe old age of 37, and considering an internship and residency after that. If it's really what you want to do, do it! I think you'll find a few of us that are in (or were in) the same situation as you.

I'm almost 32 now, and will be a 2nd year student. As others mentioned, there are many students in their 40's and 50's, and even older, sitting in vet schools around the country.

If this is something you really want, then go for it. The brick wall, as Randy Pausch says in his last lecture, is there to stop "others" - who may not want it badly enough.

It's a tough road, and a long one. It took me five years to complete my pre-req's as well, working full-time, since I too chickened out in undergrad, and I did a BA in English.

I think community college is a good way to get some classes under your belt, for less money, and, I was pleasantly surprised at the calibre of teaching I found in them.

You would bring some great experience with you into vet school! Don't forget to shadow a vet, perhaps before registering for a class, to help solidify your desire. Best wishes! :luck:

JustMaybe,

Based upon the other posts, I'm the most 'chronologically gifted' of the group at the ripe old age of 43 as I begin vet school this fall. Personally, I plan to do this (practicing vet) well beyond what would have been my retirement age with another career so I feel that I have plenty of time!

Also, check with the vet school or schools you plan to apply to and confirm how they handle community college vs. university for pre-reqs. In my case, I had most pre-reqs from my BS 20 years ago, and for what was left most classes from the CC were fine, but there was one class (biochem) they wanted me to take from a four year university.

It's a wonderful thing to follow your dream - good luck!

I'm 48 and getting ready to start my 2nd year of vet school. I also plan on doing an internship and residency.

In 5 years you will be 36 whether you do this or not. You may as well spend your time doing something you want rather than looking back and wishing you had!!

Thanks for the positive feedback - that gives me hope! I have worked in a Vet clinic before, and have volunteered at animal shelters, in addition to having 4 cats, 3 dogs and 3 horses. But the idea for a ride along with a vet is a great one. I am close friends with my equine vet, so I will talk to him about it. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks everyone! I too find that the level of teaching at the CCs is great. I did my prereqs for nursing at the local one and my micro instructor was the best teacher I have had in my life, including nursing professors. Thanks again for the positive remarks, this gives me hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
UF CVM c/o 2012 - this year they admitted a 61 year old and a 51 year old.

Age is just a number.

I'm 48 and getting ready to start my 2nd year of vet school. I also plan on doing an internship and residency.

I am 51 and starting at this Fall. The oldest in the class is 61.

There are a couple of students in my class (2nd year of vet school) who will be older than that when they graduate. And my anatomy lab partner was an RN for 13 years before deciding to go to veterinary school--it's what she wants it do.

The financial part of it is an issue for everyone without a trust fund. It stinks, but there's nothing to do besides suck it up and try to make good decisions about personal finances to the best of our ability.

one's age is literally a number - only.

I completely agree with the others.

Have you done any shadowing or volunteering, yet? If you have, then you've probably gotten that, "Wow, I could do this forever," feeling. It doesn't go away. It will be there, whether you go for it or not. Believe me, I fought it for nearly ten years.

I'm 33, so I'd be older than you in 5 years. :p There appears to be quite a few of us thirty or thirty somethings floating around filling out the applications. I blame the high school guidance counselors for the classes of '87 through '96, because my guy was really a tool who thought I wouldn't amount to anything.

I'll be 35 or 36 when I graduate if all goes well, and depending on when I get into vet school, plus whether or not I go to a US school or an Australian one. I know many people around my age, and some much older that are pre-vet or vet students. Last time I went to an open house at a vet school they had someone in their graduating class in their 50s. If you don't do what you know you want to do you will regret it in the future. That's what I keep reminding myself of to keep me going. :p

I'm almost 32 now, and will be a 2nd year student. As others mentioned, there are many students in their 40's and 50's, and even older, sitting in vet schools around the country.

If this is something you really want, then go for it. The brick wall, as Randy Pausch says in his last lecture, is there to stop "others" - who may not want it badly enough.

It's a tough road, and a long one. It took me five years to complete my pre-req's as well, working full-time, since I too chickened out in undergrad, and I did a BA in English.

I think community college is a good way to get some classes under your belt, for less money, and, I was pleasantly surprised at the calibre of teaching I found in them.

You would bring some great experience with you into vet school! Don't forget to shadow a vet, perhaps before registering for a class, to help solidify your desire. Best wishes! :luck:

I agree with everything CookieBear said! I will most likely be around 30 when I apply, so I have pondered this issue as well. I definitely say go for it!

I am 51 and starting at this Fall. The oldest in the class is 61.

lenadeb, I heard that there was someone admitted in their 50's and did not realize you were the one - you are my hero!!!!!! I didn't realize there was someone in their 60's as well. Would love to "pick" their brain about their trip. :bow:

FYI - only starting my junior year of undergrad at the ripe old age of 40.

And not to trump the rest of you, my step-son just told me I was going to be a grandmother in March!

I think you are never too old to pursue vet school (unless you think you will die in exactly 4 years).

. I blame the high school guidance counselors for the classes of '87 through '96, because my guy was really a tool who thought I wouldn't amount to anything.

Awesommmeeeeee.....

class of '84 - my tool told me to go to Ithaca College so that I could meet a med student at Cornell, get married and be a dr.'s wife for a living :sleep:

you guys are really helping me to feel better about myself! I applied this year, was rejected from all the schools I applied to except waitlisted at UIUC. They told me the waitlist wasn't going to be moving anymore, so most likely I should just plan on reapplying again for next year. I'm 36 now. I was BUMMED to hear that, but am determined to eventually get in. so whether its at 37, 38 or 39-its going to happen and now that I know there are other oldies joining me, I feel so much better!

Hi!

I just want to wish you guys good luck in applying this year. I hope you will both apply to IL again- you were so close last cycle. I'll be rooting for you guys when the time comes for the interview again. Now that you both know the field of applicants and the school(s) pretty well, think MARKETING in your personal statement and interviews. I think the key is to be confident, yet humble.

Talk to you guys later,
- Tiger1

Wow, I'm loving this thread.

I'm 31 and amazed at how many non-traditional pre-med and pre-vets I've run into doing my prereqs. Nice to see that it gets even better in vet school.

JustMaybe, if after shadowing a lot you find vet school is where your heart is, go for it. I was on the same fence until I met a vet who had graduated at 42 and was happier than she had been in her whole life.

Where would you rather be in six years, wondering what it would like to be a vet or finishing your last year of veterinary school?

Hi! I have enjoyed reading all the posts and am just awestruck at the support and optimism here! I am a 47-year old career drifter who has never really been happy in my job. I am a medical technologist working in a hospital lab but I've worked in vet labs too.

I am revisiting the idea of going to vet school but age has been a deterrent. I wouldn't go (to Ross University, probably) for another 3 years or so, so I would be at least 53 when I graduated! And you think 30-something or 40-something is old! No way!! I keep going over the numbers in my mind. How long would I be able to practice? Could I work into my 70's? How could I possibly pay off such an enormous student loan?

I agree with everyone here. You only go around once and should go for it if it's what you want! The best of luck to everyone.

Alex

I just saw a profile of Dara Torres on the Today Show. One of the things she said was "don't put an age limit on your dreams." She is correct. Many times when a student is in undergrad you are still too young and inmature to know what is best for you. Before I left high school I had already been working with a vet and doing some pretty heavy duty stuff, assisting in surgery, deworming, lab work, x-rays, etc. I just knew I was going to vet school. Even still, when I got to college and saw how far away the animal science course was from my dorm I changed my major because it was too far for me to walk. I ended up with a degree in education. I have since begun the mountain climb to take the prerequisites and apply to a professional program once again. You should go for it. You will never be at peace if you don't at least try.

hi Alex,
I'm a non-trad going to Ross in a couple of weeks. Good to know that there are lots of us, huh. I say if it's what you want, with all your heart, MARCH ON!!

As my Genetics prof told me, "you can always wheel yourself up to a microscope". Guess that would go for walkers too! I may not wrestle in the field with at patient at 80, but I might be able to discover a cure for something!

Okay I'll play devil's advocate here ......

I am 32 and applying for the second time this cycle. The things you need to consider is your family situation and the money aspect. Is your family willing to put up with you being completely unavailable (possibly across the country) for 4 years? Do you have children yet or are you looking to have children soon? (all those plans need to go on hold if you are in vet school). Is your spouse (and you) willing to put up with loans that are going to be difficult to work off? (starting vets make less then RN's in my area; and you make even less than that in your first year residency). Are you willing to sell all your horses and be a complete slave to your education? (I ride also, and this has been a tough part of it for me).

There is a recent thread on finances - you may want to search it and check it out. I don't mean to be the "bubble burster" but that whole "follow your dreams" talk isn't always practical; in the end it might make you miserable, not happier.

I agree with Meadow36. I find myself thinking occassionally that I'M too old for this, and I'm only 25. Before you absolutely kill me, let me explain.

I've always wanted to have a family. I was engaged a number of years ago, but that fell through and I'm still currently single. Now I find myself going into the "No Man's Land" (literally!) of vet school in Ithaca NY. I'm thinking the prospects of finding anyone in the next four years are pretty slim based on the male:female ratio, the amount of time I'll spend working/studying and the fact that, let's face it, Ithaca is in the middle of no where.

Based on the fact that your chances of birth defects increases exponentally every year in mothers ages 32 and up, I've always hoped to start a family before that time. But at this rate, I won't even be out of school until I'm 29. And since I'm interested in Equine Orthopedic surgery, that could potentially mean another year of internship, folowed by three years of residency, leaving me at 33 before I can even think of having a JOB. So I feel like I'm possibly sacraficing the dream of a family for the dream of a vet school, and at times I wonder if I'm going to regret it. I mean, I like cats and all, but do I really want to be the crazy old cat lady? :p

So, sometimes, there MIGHT be such a thing as too old. If you're finacially stable enough to be able to pay for tuition out of pocket, then maybe it's okay for the older students. But what if you can only practice for a maximum of ten years after you've graduated and end up passing all the debt onto your chilcren? Is it really worth that? Not that I'm saying the OP will face that issue, but some people might. Sometimes I'm not so sure the Mr. Rogers' outlok on life is really all that healthy...

I don't think that your student loan debt can be passed on to your family. I thought that student loans die with you, am I wrong? Also, it is possible to have a family and go to vet school. The key is having a great partner who is supportive and willing to help you follow your dream. Each and every one of us has a different situation to deal with and sometimes those situations allow us to follow our dreams and sometimes they don't. Just keep your options open and do what works regardless of age. If it is meant to be, then it will work out. Best of luck to everyone :)!

I don't think that your student loan debt can be passed on to your family. I thought that student loans die with you, am I wrong? Also, it is possible to have a family and go to vet school. The key is having a great partner who is supportive and willing to help you follow your dream. Each and every one of us has a different situation to deal with and sometimes those situations allow us to follow our dreams and sometimes they don't. Just keep your options open and do what works regardless of age. If it is meant to be, then it will work out. Best of luck to everyone :)!

I know as a single person, my student loan debt will die with me, but I'm not sure if the same is true if you're married and taking out loans. Anyone?

I know as a single person, my student loan debt will die with me, but I'm not sure if the same is true if you're married and taking out loans. Anyone?

I have heard, in a presentation from AVMA insurance, that Staffords die with you. (The debt is forgiven upon your death.) But private loans do not, which is why life insurance is important if you have private loans and want to protect your family.

I did the family and kids thing before going back to school, so I don't know anything about the having kids (before, during or after vet school) issue. I took time off to get my kids the start I wanted them to have for school, which may also be something to consider when thinking about the situation. However, if communication is kept open, the spouse and children will know exactly what is happenening and why. For a non-trad, yes, it is more complicated. But if you go in with the understanding that you are working toward a goal, and everyone is on board with that goal, it is reachable.

As for loans, I have insurance and I also have a job that is thinking about paying for my tuition, so I'm pretty okay with it. If the job doesn't decide to pay, I will be the agressive repayment sort. We've (my h and I) lived like church mice to make sure that our kids get what they need and a little of what they want. That's what parents do. It won't be much of a stretch to live poor after school to pay toward what is owed.

I'm not married, but if I were I could not live with myself knowing I kept my wife from following her dream instead of helping her pursue it.

You will encounter plenty of negativity on your journey but if you really want it you will find a way.

I just saw a profile of Dara Torres on the Today Show. One of the things she said was "don't put an age limit on your dreams." She is correct.

That is one amazing athlete!

You're never too old! My horses' vet told me about a OSU professor that was in his graduating vet class many, many years ago. He was 70 years old at the time! My vet said that the man had always dreamed of being a vet and after he graduated he opened up a small animal clinic. He has since passed away. Amazing what you can do if your heart is in it!

Hey, the best of luck to you! I give you a lot of credit for pursuing your dreams!

Alex

hi Alex,
I'm a non-trad going to Ross in a couple of weeks. Good to know that there are lots of us, huh. I say if it's what you want, with all your heart, MARCH ON!!

Hi Everyone,
I'm so glad that I read this. I'm a foreign graduate and many times I asked myself if I still should try to get my licence to practice vetmedicine. The problem was: I thought I'm too old - 41. Thanks guys to all of you in here who encourges us - "oldies" to do something we might regret for not doing later.
THE BEST LUCK to EVERYBODY!!!:thumbup::clap:

About the having kids before your biological clock runs out (re: birth defects, etc) -- adoption is always an option! So is fostering and mentoring! I know there are people who want their 'own' children, but there are still options available if you're looking to have kids in your life.

And you can be a great parent at any age!