Optometry How personal should I be when explaining past failures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my freshman year of college, I spiraled into depression, my grades fell dramatically, and I was pretty much suicidal. I have improved since then and my GPAs are fine. I even got an A in the class I previously failed and got a recommendation letter. However, I do have more personal details on why I became so depressed. It pretty much set a tone for the whole year especially with how overwhelmed I was with everything. I'm wondering if I should put this into my personal statement or if I should tell the admissions officers when they ask why I did so badly my Freshman year. Please let me know, thank you.
I would leave it very general if asked to the theme of "I had significant personal issues the first year that I had to take time to deal with, and my academic performance suffered." This is the truth, but only if you need to do so. For more details, it's a more case-by-case depending on how you read that situation with an individual school.

Members don't see this ad.

I woudln’t go into details on your personal statement. On your secondaries you can talk about it if you feel comfortable, but still wouldn’t get into details. I would leave it rather broad. In an interview, if they ask you and you feel ok talking about it then maybe...but I doubt they would dig that deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.