How realistic is it to practice 6 months on 6 months off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bGMx

He moʻolelo ia e hoʻopau ai i ka moʻolelo holoʻoko
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in a US medical school-- right now I'm embracing the ability to learn from mentors and work on different research projects. My ultimate goal is to work hard and learn to be the best psychiatrist my abilities allow me to do, and in the process pay off my debt. Once that has been accomplished, I'm wondering how feasible it is to work 6 months on and 6 months off. I ultimately would like to have a modest house and a sail boat, and spend much of my time sailing the world while doing a little off the record primary care (think first aid, nutrition guidance, skin protection) on the side for places I dock, free of charge. I'm wondering how feasible this is.
I imagine global internet will improve by that time (a decade or two) and I'll be able to maintain a decent telehealth clientele as well as work for telehealth functions. I figure that if I'm on the other side of the world, I could happily work a midnight US telehealth psychiatry shift without the lifestyle dysregulation that is part and parcel of "graveyard shifts."

I know there is something to be said about medical doctors having to be physically in the country they practice-- can anyone speak to their thoughts on different unorthodox ways to structure a 40 hour work week? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were a patient in ongoing treatment, I can't imagine I'd be thrilled with a provider who I had no access to for half the year.

Also, you'll have to delve into international telehealth laws.

Reactions: 5 users
I negotiated with my employer for 10 days off straight every month (although I work 13 days out the month with pocket of days off besides the 10 days) and do ER psychiatry. I did this because I love to travel. There are alot of 7 on/7 off too available especially for inpatient psychiatry. I got an email for a inpatient gig for 14 on/14 off a few days ago but those are rarer. To answer your question, its very realistic. If you want to work 6 months than 6 month off, do locum assignments. Many are for only 3-8 months at a time. You will get paid more (although you wont' have benefits) and be able to have flexibity.

Members don't see this ad :)
locums. its doable but you wont have a stable nice job in a cool area for the 6 months of working. you will be scrambling and going to undesirable areas to do a job that no one else wants to do.

Reactions: 4 users
I ultimately would like to have a modest house and a sail boat, and spend much of my time sailing the world while doing a little off the record primary care (think first aid, nutrition guidance, skin protection) on the side for places I dock, free of charge. I'm wondering how feasible this is.

Bear in mind that in some parts of the of the world this comes very close to practicing medicine without a license, and some countries take this super seriously if you don't have a specially negotiated exemption as part of some kind of humanitarian mission. Expect potential arrest or more likely being shaken down for significant bribes.

Reactions: 8 users
If I were a patient in ongoing treatment, I can't imagine I'd be thrilled with a provider who I had no access to for half the year.

Also, you'll have to delve into international telehealth laws.
Yeah I get this, which in my practice I would imagine the patients who actually prefer this type of intervention will self select and I'll have a stable cohort of people I can care for longitudinally. Otherwise, I would work consult shift work and provide diagnostic and short stay interventions and med management to places which can't meet demand, be it in person or telehealth.
Bear in mind that in some parts of the of the world this comes very close to practicing medicine without a license, and some countries take this super seriously if you don't have a specially negotiated exemption as part of some kind of humanitarian mission. Expect potential arrest or more likely being shaken down for significant bribes.
Humanitarian mission is exactly my thought-- Ideally I would load up with multivitamins (Vitamin A, D and Folate specifically) and distribute them to the peripheral nations who have people who are otherwise deficient, free of charge, as well as communicate the importance of sun screen and general wellness screens wherever I end up. I'd probably have to get in touch with the WHO or UN?

I negotiated with my employer for 10 days off straight every month (although I work 13 days out the month with pocket of days off besides the 10 days) and do ER psychiatry. I did this because I love to travel. There are alot of 7 on/7 off too available especially for inpatient psychiatry. I got an email for a inpatient gig for 14 on/14 off a few days ago but those are rarer. To answer your question, its very realistic. If you want to work 6 months than 6 month off, do locum assignments. Many are for only 3-8 months at a time. You will get paid more (although you wont' have benefits) and be able to have flexibity.

How difficult was this to negotiate, and did you have to do a fair bit of job hunting before finding someone on the same page as you or was it relatively accepted by your prospective employers?

As others have said, the six on six off schedule is achievable if you find it can fit with your lifestyle by then (if you have a partner or kids that would be a lot harder to make work).

I would recommend being very cautious about practicing primary care in other countries. Your heart is in the right place but we are not trained as primary care providers. You could also end up in a lot of legal trouble for practicing without a license.

Yeah I get this, which in my practice I would imagine the patients who actually prefer this type of intervention will self select and I'll have a stable cohort of people I can care for longitudinally.
There is no cohort of outpatients who prefer their doc to be sailing around the world 6 months of the year. You will definitely not have a stable cohort of patients.

Humanitarian mission is exactly my thought-- Ideally I would load up with multivitamins (Vitamin A, D and Folate specifically) and distribute them to the peripheral nations who have people who are otherwise deficient, free of charge, as well as communicate the importance of sun screen and general wellness screens wherever I end up. I'd probably have to get in touch with the WHO or UN?

This is just kind of weird and silly.

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah I get this, which in my practice I would imagine the patients who actually prefer this type of intervention will self select and I'll have a stable cohort of people I can care for longitudinally. Otherwise, I would work consult shift work and provide diagnostic and short stay interventions and med management to places which can't meet demand, be it in person or telehealth.

If I understand correctly, you're a psychiatrist who is going to write to the United Nations to ask for permission to distribute sunscreen via sailboat?

And people don't believe some of the experiences I've had . . .

I'm sorry I shouldn't joke. It's better to have a dream than be beaten down by life. Out of curiosity, what is your sailing experience? Will you have a crew? Sailing can be grueling. I'm not sure everybody would want to sit down to work at a computer after a day of sailing, unless you're only working when docked.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

This sounds like you are cruising for a career in just providing emergency telepsych services or telepsych for the kind of outfit that manages to diagnose 95% of people who sign up with ADHD and provide stimulants. No expectation of treatment relationship. The actual clinical work will of course be awful and the pay won't be great, but if you're in developing countries money can still go far.

You should talk to established NGOs that do this. A quick google search will reveal many

How difficult was this to negotiate, and did you have to do a fair bit of job hunting before finding someone on the same page as you or was it relatively accepted by your prospective employers?
All you need to do is talk to recruiters and they will find jobs for you that match your preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I understand correctly, you're a psychiatrist who is going to write to the United Nations to ask for permission to distribute sunscreen via sailboat?
This had me in stitches for seriously like 5 minutes straight lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Wow, this got weird. Anyways, yes, you can get six months of locums telepsych work per year. It will almost certainly not be longitudinal. It will be covering for away providers, or much more likely, handling cases in EDs and on medical floors. I won't touch "off the record primary care."

Don't forget about nutrition guidance!

I can only imagine trying to give nutrition guidance to starving people in 3rd world countries. I assume it is something along the lines of "eat enough food to survive".

like other have echoed, locums work could be feasible for 6 months on/off.

The world of humanitarian work is full of people doing useless ****, so don't be one of those people. You would probably be more useful doing psycho-education to groups of mid-level primary care providers around diagnostic skills or psychotropics - some sort of capacity building work in general based on your skills and interest. Or you can go to Tijuana and provide a bunch of pro bono forensic psychiatric evaluations for people waiting to apply for asylum. If you are really interested in this kind of work, you need to do a lot of reading and talking to people who seriously engage in international work, as a career, to avoid being a dilettante.

Reactions: 6 users
Might want to consider distributing the yoni jade vaginal egg. Many women in developing countries birth many multiples of children and could probably use something like this to go along with the vitamins and banana boat. Also I heard gwenth patrow say it works.

• Haha
I won't touch "off the record primary care."
Dude medical school should have explained to you why what you're talking about is highly unethical.

Just sounds like you want to virtue signal or pat yourself on the back for what a humanitarian you are while in reality pissing around in your boat. The reality is you know how selfish it would be regarded for a physician or psychiatrist to have a practice pattern like you're describing. Sounds like you just went into medicine to fund your hobbies. How sad for patients.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Seroquel XXXXXXR.

Hibernation for 6 months.

Dude medical school should have explained to you why what you're talking about is highly unethical.

Just sounds like you want to virtue signal or pat yourself on the back for what a humanitarian you are while in reality pissing around in your boat. The reality is you know how selfish it would be regarded for a physician or psychiatrist to have a practice pattern like you're describing. Sounds like you just went into medicine to fund your hobbies. How sad for patients.

Meh, you're right that the off the radar primary care piece is highly unethical and illegal. But I don't think the rest is selfish. There's no reason you can't be a psychiatrist and take 6 months off. But as mentioned, you can't do longitudinal care if you decide to do this. You're looking at locums, ED work, or CL work.

Funny thing, I had an endocrinology attending in med school who did hospital consults half the year and the next half of the year, he was off in CA doing who knows what (not medicine). He was a snowbird. The hospital hired him and some other guy to cover for the 6 months he was off and all they did was half a day of inpatient consults M-F. Schedule was 7 am - noon every day for 6 months, then off for 6 months (and the other guy was on), then switch. I think the other guy was GA or AL or FL the other 6 months. I thought it was cool (though hated endocrine).

I can't see a private practice model doing 6 months on and 6 off, most patients want to see their psychiatrist. Locums would be doable. I see Chicago, a lot of places in NY as well as undesirable locations . I would demand that the locums company have a no buy out so you can flip between locums companies and facilities. You actually can have this negotiated.

Thanks all for the input.
For the record, my reasoning for the vitamin bit is because
A) I'll be in that geographical location anyway
B) Vitamin deficiency is a major problem in peripheral nations
C) bulk multivitamins are cheap

I don't understand how people can dismiss this as unworthy seeing as this is low hanging fruit that can do a disproportionate amount of good at a low dollar cost. The motivation here is: lack of birth control coupled with folate deficiency. Or island villages without adequate iron intake.

Thanks all for the input.
For the record, my reasoning for the vitamin bit is because
A) I'll be in that geographical location anyway
B) Vitamin deficiency is a major problem in peripheral nations
C) bulk multivitamins are cheap

I don't understand how people can dismiss this as unworthy seeing as this is low hanging fruit that can do a disproportionate amount of good at a low dollar cost. The motivation here is: lack of birth control coupled with folate deficiency. Or island villages without adequate iron intake.
I can't speak for anyone else, but you shouldn't listen to any cynical comments I make. Life didn't work out for me, which can make me sardonic. Go for it.

In terms of the vitamin distribution. Just find some NGO who does this and donate to them. Their economy of scale likely means that they can secure and distribute this much more cheaply and efficiently than a wandering good Samaritan. Also takes the liability out of the equation. Wouldn't be a good look if some of the cheaply bought vitamins were contaminated and caused some organ damage in a group of people.

It's a goofy and totally incorrect idea to think that a person sailing the world in their personal ocean going sailboat could stock enough vitamins (and then distribute them) to help in anyway shape or form.

Bordering on delusions of grandeur.

Just be a shaman instead. No logistical issues whatsoever.

In terms of the vitamin distribution. Just find some NGO who does this and donate to them. Their economy of scale likely means that they can secure and distribute this much more cheaply and efficiently than a wandering good Samaritan. Also takes the liability out of the equation. Wouldn't be a good look if some of the cheaply bought vitamins were contaminated and caused some organ damage in a group of people.

Yes, so much this. OP, you are not the first person to have it occur to them that vitamins might be helpful for poor people in remote rural areas to have. There is probably already an organization doing this in country, in fact! Unless you have Bill Gates type money you will certainly do far more good in the world by donating money you don't need to an NGO that already has an established infrastructure locally.

By all means vet them and do your research (GiveWell can help with this), but you should ask yourself whether it's more important to be doing good or to feel like you're doing good. I get that cutting a check doesn't feel as virtuous as distributing vitamins personally but the first one will almost certainly help more people.

Honestly, if charity is the concern, making as much money as possible doing more lucrative work and then giving most of it away is going to maximize your ability to make a positive impact more than anything you can do with your sailboat.

Reactions: 6 users
I agree with the above statement, but I don't understand the logic behind not doing something more. I can cut a check, I have no problem with this-- I think the 10% Giving What We Can Pledge is in my future (Pledge to give more, and give more effectively). But what is the apprehension behind doing that and giving out vitamins wherever I am. I just don't see why they're mutually exclusive-- also, great point about liability. It would be helpful for me to find an organization that sponsors this so that I can have a bit of insurance regarding a bad batch of vitamins or sunscreen.

I agree with the above statement, but I don't understand the logic behind not doing something more. I can cut a check, I have no problem with this-- I think the 10% Giving What We Can Pledge is in my future (Pledge to give more, and give more effectively). But what is the apprehension behind doing that and giving out vitamins wherever I am. I just don't see why they're mutually exclusive-- also, great point about liability. It would be helpful for me to find an organization that sponsors this so that I can have a bit of insurance regarding a bad batch of vitamins or sunscreen.
Nothing wrong with helping out. But you dispensing vitamins is similar to you spitting on a housefire to help the firemen

There is no cohort of outpatients who prefer their doc to be sailing around the world 6 months of the year.

I LOL'ed at this. I can imagine the patient satisfaction surveys now: "the only thing I don't like about my doctor is that he's not away sailing around the world enough."

This is just kind of weird and silly.
He could start by telling the natives "ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now."

Are you getting these vitamins from the US? It's very poorly regulated here. Percentage of actual vitamins vary wildly. I would consider getting them from the EU.

I would also strongly encourage you to look closely into the laws of each place you plan to visit because proclaiming to be a doctor and "handing out vitamins to the locals" can certainly be considered illegal in many places. Imagine the potential dangers of allowing anyone to show up with pills and distribute them freely. In addition, you probably need to look into customs and import laws as well. The laws exist for good reason.

I would also strongly consider looking into local needs and culture before assuming they need salvation from the American guy on a boat with a sack full of vitamins. You might very well land in a place with better Healthcare, first aid, or primary care than you can provide.

I think you're getting the pushback because what you've suggested honestly sounds poorly thought out. I would actually encourage you to partner with organizations, clinics, etc. at the places you are visiting and work with them to obtain things they can tell you they clearly need for the community. That would be in my opinion a more thought out plan than showing up with a bunch of folate to give to the masses on the beach.

I LOL'ed at this. I can imagine the patient satisfaction surveys now: "the only thing I don't like about my doctor is that he's not away sailing around the world enough."

He could start by telling the natives "ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now."

Remember, there's positively no sex in the champagne room, none.

OP wants to be a benevolent savior who tosses vitamins and sunscreen off their yacht to a populace of underdeveloped peoples? Sounds like Florida is calling you for spring break. All those partiers getting sun burned and depleting their vitamins with alcohol consumption.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Man I just want to do good things and also live on a boat

Why not just do telepsych from your boat? Once Starlink is up you will be able to have a high speed internet connection anywhere on the planet via satellite dish. But ya the vitamin & sunscreen plan is kinda bizarre and not well thought out. My interpretation is you're trying to make your desire to live on a sailboat feel more altruistic, not that you're passionate about public health in developing nations, otherwise you probably would be doing family medicine instead of psychiatry and working for Doctors without borders or something. Do my starlink enabled-boat-telepsych plan and you can live on a sailboat and still be of service! We do great things for our patients too and there is massive shortage of psychiatric care most places. I'd discourage the vitamins/sunscreen plan as you will most likely end up getting arrested for violating local laws governing medical pracctice or have your sailboat captured by pirates or something if you go through with it and I suspect most of the people you'd be pushing your vitamins and sunscreen on would be confused more than anything any not really benefit from your efforts anyways.

Last edited:
You want to work very little but FEEL like you are working alot. Right? That much is very transparent, Let's be on the same page here before we move forward?

Further, you need to understand that the specifics of what you are proposing sound a bit bizarre (at least what little you have articulated so far), and there is little to no empirical evidence that a sailboat-living, free-spirt, ever vacationing psychiatrist who hocks vitamins (most of which will be pissed out) and sunscreen but doesn't want to do any continuity of care/follow-up would have any kind of an impact on 3rd world/developing country health outcomes. You are also making alot of assumptions about many places/countries. This is either extreme white savior stuff, or an attempt to feel like you are "working" when you aren't.....and don't want to because of your sailboat and preferred "lifestyle."

There is a whole system set up for what you are seemingly interested in doing half the year. Several, actually. I'm not saying they are are all that efficient or impactful either, mind you. But you can up your chances significantly by working WITHIN those systems as opposed to doing some of this goofy stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My argument remains: while I'm on a boat, why not hand out sunscreen and vitamins while also contributing to all the other things that have been mentioned?

My argument remains: while I'm on a boat, why not hand out sunscreen and vitamins while also contributing to all the other things that have been mentioned?
Your current proposal does essentially nothing, whilst feeding your ego and NOT working as a psychiatrist or physician most of the time. That is why it is considered "weird" here. Understand?

And for goodness sakes, son. Aren't you a trained psychiatrist? My take on your "career idea" should NOT be news to you if you have shared the idea with other trained/attending psychiatrists on your residency faculty. Please see my previous post.

And again, do you have any evidence that such things (in absence of other involvement or follow-up) impact health outcomes? I thought we we were practicing evidence-based medicine here in America?

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Granted, I am not a psychiatrist, although for the purpose of this conversation I don't think that qualification really matters, but I think you are being led astray with concerns of going to vitamin jail.

Your bigger questions than handing out vitamins should be: Where are you going to get food? Where will you get water? Where will you get fuel? Will you have a crew? How will you handle banking?

Sailing around the world is not as carefree as it sounds. I have a feeling handing out vitamins might be the last thing on your mind once you're out there if you're just getting your sea legs and trying to run a remote psychiatry business. These smaller matters might become less important once you run up against the bigger practical realities.

Reactions: 1 users

Attachments

• vitamins and sunscreen.jpg
    vitamins and sunscreen.jpg
    768.5 KB · Views: 72
My argument remains: while I'm on a boat

Your current proposal does essentially nothing, whilst feeding your ego and NOT working as a psychiatrist or physician most of the time. That is why it is considered "weird" here. Understand?

And for goodness sakes, son. Aren't you a trained psychiatrist? My take on your "career idea" should NOT be news to you if you have shared the idea with other trained/attending psychiatrists on your residency faculty. Please see my previous post.

And again, do you have any evidence that such things (in absence of other involvement or follow-up) impact health outcomes? I thought we we were practicing evidence-based medicine here in America?
Search OP's post history--he's a first-year medical student.

Are you getting these vitamins from the US? It's very poorly regulated here. Percentage of actual vitamins vary wildly. I would consider getting them from the EU.

I would also strongly encourage you to look closely into the laws of each place you plan to visit because proclaiming to be a doctor and "handing out vitamins to the locals" can certainly be considered illegal in many places. Imagine the potential dangers of allowing anyone to show up with pills and distribute them freely. In addition, you probably need to look into customs and import laws as well. The laws exist for good reason.

I would also strongly consider looking into local needs and culture before assuming they need salvation from the American guy on a boat with a sack full of vitamins. You might very well land in a place with better Healthcare, first aid, or primary care than you can provide.

I think you're getting the pushback because what you've suggested honestly sounds poorly thought out. I would actually encourage you to partner with organizations, clinics, etc. at the places you are visiting and work with them to obtain things they can tell you they clearly need for the community. That would be in my opinion a more thought out plan than showing up with a bunch of folate to give to the masses on the beach.
Now, now, go easy on the OP. Sailing takes him away to where he's always heard it could be. Just a dream and the wind to carry him, and soon he will be free. Fantasy, it gets the best of him when he's sailing. All caught up in the reverie, every word is a symphony. Won't you believe him?

1)You may be violating local laws regarding medical practice
2)You overestimate the demand for vitamins and sunscreen provided by yacht in developing countries
3)Its not cost effective
4)If you are docking in places where the population is largely vitamin deficient from malnutrition you are likely to be the victim of crime/piracy
5)Why do you think that anyone would take pills and rub cream on their bodies that a random American on a sailboat is handing out for free? Would you do this?
6) Why would someone who has lived their entire life in a culture with millennia-old traditions not involving sunscreen or vitamins suddenly decide they are instrumental to their well-being?
7)Assuming they adopt your recommendation for vitamins/sunscreen, where are they going to get more supply once you have moved your frolicking to other waters? How much good will a few days/months of vitamins and sunscreen even do for someone?

Last edited:
Some of you need to chill. Everyone else I appreciate your humor and your ability to humor me. I'd hazard to say there are tons of people out there across the globe who you can make a genuine connection with and offer sunscreen and vitamins to just as if you would give to a friend at the beach

Yes first year med student with a boat fantasy, tell the rest of us physicians "how it is," especially regarding the realities of actual medical practice.

OP, I'm honestly wondering what's so much different than if you bought these "friends at the beach" a meal of fish tacos or a banana daiquiri (full of potassium!)

How much time have you spent abroad? How much time in developing nations? How much time in a medical mission? I'm no expert like some on SDN are, but I've been on a few. Doesn't take much to see how woefully inadequate your plans are. This is basically getting into the worst side of the voluntourism movement.

No wonder you don't understand the difficulties or the ethics here - sounds like you have very little firsthand experience in healthcare delivery, or doing so abroad.

Reminds me of going to Tijuana and the little toddlers come up to you with cups begging for change. Thinking that putting a handful in there is really doing anything for those people....

When I drive around and I see people begging for change I usually give them some. But I don't make it my mission half the year and act like I'm really doing anything meaningful for these people. You could even argue I'm harming them if they use that money for drugs. I acknowledge that doing so is something I do for my own sense of wellbeing more than making any meaningful change.

But you don't have to believe a bunch of doctors that's there's better uses of your education, money, and time.

When I drive around and I see people begging for change I usually give them some. But I don't make it my mission half the year and act like I'm really doing anything meaningful for these people.
This is the meat of what I'm thinking here. But I disagree with your second sentence-- giving someone a multivitamin who is vitamin deficient is improving their life.

• Dislike
giving someone a multivitamin who is vitamin deficient is improving their life.
[/QUOTE]
No,

No, son! We don't agree. Again, see my previous points.

Last edited:
Some of you need to chill. Everyone else I appreciate your humor and your ability to humor me. I'd hazard to say there are tons of people out there across the globe who you can make a genuine connection with and offer sunscreen and vitamins to just as if you would give to a friend at the beach
You presented your idea as a career plan, not as a humorous day at the beach (not that I routinely give unsolicited vitamins and sunscreen to my friends at the beach? Do people do this?) I mean you asked if it was OK to take 6 months off a year to do this... Just taking you seriously and answering honestly.

Last edited:
  • Haha