How screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kew

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT a week ago and got 16/17/18 on it with a 3.62 gpa. First of all, how screwed am I? Second, I am going to retake it in 3 months and should do a lot better, I was just wondering if it will be almost too late at that point to redeem myself for this cycle. I don't know how many interview offers I'll get. But I was just wondering what the outcome would be if I got like a 20+ on it in November. Do schools really look at people that well if a retake happens in November? I have a lot of strong extras to go with my application, so I know I could get into tons of places if I just get a decent DAT, I just hope it's not too late. Any imput would be helpful. Thanx, Kenny

Members don't see this ad.

calm down, you are not completely screwed. your have a good pat score, it is just your science that needs improving. be happy it is not the other way around. focus on your science, and i am sure you can achieve 20+ have you thought about kaplan, i found them to be quite helpful.

I'd say you're not totally screwed at all - it's early yet in the cycle and you have plenty of time to study hard and re-take the DAT. From what I've seen on SDN, at least some schools do re-evaluate applicants when new scores come in, and offers of admission can be made as late as February, March, April...

So go for it!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
What categories where your lowest scores in?

Ochem 17 genchem 16 biology 17, math 15, english 16. I do speak fluent english but I hadn't studied the reading comprehension before the dat, thinking that it would be a walk in the park but I was just a little mistaken. I know I can bring those scores (15,16) I just need to actually study them. I put most of my time in the sciences, and just need to fix my timing on almost everything because I kept running out of time on all the subjects, which made me panicked through most of the last part of the test. I think just working on the timing will do wonders for my score in and of itself. I'm really not that worried about my next test score, I'm certain I will get at least a 20. I studied for 4 months about 5 hours a day so I have a large foundation of knowledge now, I just need to refine it and focus on my weaker areas and do some more practice problems and I think I'll be good. I'm just nervous because my retake is so late in the year, that's all. Thanx, Kenny

I would definately do just that, apply and send the new dat scores once you have them. I would be willing to bet that some schools may even want to interview you as is with your high GPA. plus your low scores are in the sections they care the least about.