Medical How should I move forward with reapplication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for volunteering your time on here. I really appreciate it. I applied to medical schools this cycle, and I've only received one interview. I'm worried that I might have to reapply, and should probably begin preparing for that. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to address the weaknesses in my application at this point. I'm currently training to be a medical scribe, but I've also been offered a position with AmeriCorps, which involves a community medicine research component. Some options I have right now are to work full-time as a scribe, full-time as an AmeriCorps member, or do part-time scribing and part-time AmeriCorps. The last option would amount to a 55 hour work week, and I'm a little wary of working so many hours especially before starting medical school. I'm open to any other suggestions or advice!

Here's a bit about me:
GPA: 3.9, (3.8 science)
Majors: English, second major music
MCAT: 520
University-Based Non-clinical service: 350 hours
University-Based minor leadership Non-clinical: 330 hours
Shadowing: 200 hours
Research: 200 hours (just a name on a poster & 1 year part-time involvement in a music cognition lab)
Graduated in 2018

Gap year 1: Took MCAT, studied music, performed in opera festivals
Gap year 2: AmeriCorps health/nutrition educator (may or may not count as clinical) (1700 hours)
Gap year 3: current

In addition to figuring out how to move forward, I'm wondering if I have any hidden red flags or weak areas.
Do you have any clinical experience to show for at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Americorps description makes me lean non-clinical service unless there's more. 200 hours of shadowing is a lot for shadowing; did you do anything else while shadowing?

I also don't know exactly when you submitted your application, but if most schools are experiencing increases in the applicant pool, you may be stuck because of where you are placed in reviewing your application among the schools where you applied. There is no track record of a WAMC so I have no idea where you applied; if you applied to a lot of name-brand schools, your lack of experiences noted here may be holding you back. I don't know what your state residency is to know whether you have a shot there.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Other than shadowing, teaching nutrition workshops, and performing music therapy for Alzheimer's patients, I don't think anything else I did may count as clinical. I definitely see how this could be a red flag. I also applied in early August, so it makes a lot of sense that I'm stuck in the review process. I also live in Illinois, and I applied to all my state schools.

It looks like continuing my scribe position for this year might be the best option then, instead of splitting it with AmeriCorps, which involves administering surveys to patients about a community holistic care study/program. I guess if I have to reapply next year, I'll have this scribe experience to draw from and talk about as well. Is there anything else I can do at this point/to prepare for next year?

Thank you again!
The scribe experience will be very helpful. Some other opportunities include doing some work in free clinics assisting with registration or simple vitals. Any screening opportunities with health fairs supervised by professionals will also help (I'm not sure whether you do that in your Americorps service since you do not describe it that way).

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't accepted this new AmeriCorps position yet, but it's entirely virtual for now, so I guess that rules out screening opportunities. It might also be too much for me to commit to that and a scribe position right now. However, I can look into volunteering at free clinics, if they are open to that during the pandemic. Or even contact tracing?
Many physicians are accustomed now to telemedicine, and there seem to be opportunities to be a scribe under virtual circumstances. This may also be the case for free clinics (it is at the student-run one that I am associated with).

My own opinion: I am a fan of being a full-time scribe under normal circumstances, especially in ER settings. I know one can scribe in different specialties too. Considering the strain on the health care system now, being a scribe or a medical assistant that is truly competent is a welcome service.

Status
Not open for further replies.