how should i proceed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user121

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dealt with a very similar situation. i put down a deposit at VCOM-VA and ended up getting an acceptance at the school I am now attending (RowanSOM) about a week after the deposit deadline for VCOM. Unfortunately, that meant I had to pay both deposits. Unfortunately, the non-refundable deposits are a part of the DO admissions game.

I would suggest waiting until Nov 15th and put down the deposit at CUSOM that day if you still have not heard back on ACCEPTANCES from PCOM or VCOM. Drop DCOM at this point if you are 100% positive you will not go there over CUSOM. Luckily, the PCOM deposit is super cheap if you get in there, however you'll just have to take the monetary hit if you get accepted to VCOM after the CUSOM deadline.

Hope this helps!

I'd second that general sentiment. Wait as long as you can, deposit your CUSOM (or whatever your current first-choice is).

That deposit is a sunk cost; it'll already be spent. You should decide on the second school (PCOM or VCOM) based on their own merits, if you get an acceptance later on. If you get into a top-choice school (and it's still your top after the interview) I think the little bit of extra money spent would be worth it for your satisfaction for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
word

Last edited:
What are the thoughts on declining my acceptance at CUSOM thereby buying myself more time (and possibly money)? "Worst" case scenario, I attend DCOM which isn't the end of the world...its medschool and i am satisfied with that.. but I'd be happier at CUSOM and possibly more happy at the other two based on my exposure there.
You just have to decide if $1500 is worth spending 4 years at a school knowing you would have been happier somewhere else. Once you're paying $45,000+ each year after 4 years I don't think you'd miss that $1500 one bit if you are happier but that's me...

i see!

Last edited:
Uncle Sam will be covering that. I plan on doing HPSP.
Then the $1500 really wouldn't bother me at all if I was going to be happier somewhere else. To me if I clearly likes one school over the other I wouldn't let the deposit be the deciding factor when there's only a possibility of getting into a school I like better but that's for you to decide.

make sense

Last edited:
Would it be a completely foolish decision to give up my seat and banking on an II from my #1/#2 knowing DCOM is my fall back??

It would be foolish to not put a deposit in for DCOM OR CUSOM in hopes of hearing back from PCOM and VCOM, but I think choosing one of them is fine. Which one is up to you. Best case scenario is you somehow get interviewed and accepted to PCOM by 12/14. Worst case scenario is you still hear nothing, and now you have to pay a $1250 deposit to a school you don't particularly want to go to to ensure a spot.

Since you'd prefer CUSOM over DCOM I'd probably recommend paying their deposit, but if you're 100% okay with DCOM as a fallback then that's not a terrible choice.

^this

Last edited:
The advantage of DCOM is that I have an extra month to put down a deposit. So I have about 2 months from now before I have to lay down any money. Should I get an II and or an acceptance from one of my top choices within a reasonable length of time, I may not have to ever lay down a deposit for DCOM and I can save myself a lot of money! So i am unsure if I would be making a really dumb mistake to pass up on CUSOM if I have little chance of getting any (good) news from PCOM or VCOM in time.

Personally, I would make a decision based the acceptances I had in hand. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" and all that. Since this process is such a crapshoot, I wouldn't treat anything that wasn't an acceptance as an integral part of my decision making process. Make a decision based on the acceptances you have now, not the ones you hope you will get in the future, especially if you haven't even been invited for an interview yet. It would suck to put an investment like that in PCOM and VCOM only to not get in and be stuck with the school you liked least. I think that would be too much of a gamble for me.

Unless you are 100% sure you would have no regrets going to DCOM instead of CUSOM. Then by all means, take the gamble.

Reactions: 1 user