How should I respond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xorthos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as stated in a previous topic, I matched at my #2 program. I had multiple ties, a strong history and several reassurances with my #1 program, and was honestly floored during the match that I didn't match there. Over the past week and a half, I have gotten over the shock and am actually feeling okay with everything.

Then today, I get an e-mail from my #1 program that didn't rank me. It was a personalized e-mail, congratulating me on matching at my #2 spot, and saying that they hope to work with me again in 3 years after residency, and hoping I make it back to the area, and also asking what I thought about their program and how it could improve.

I know that many programs send out survey e-mails after the match, but is it generally common for the place that knew you were going to rank them #1 to not match you, then send a personalized e-mail asking for feedback after not matching there? Honestly it just felt kind of like a punch in the gut in a way, and I'm not entirely sure how I should feel about it, or what to say in response.

It's feels like the girl who turned you down for the dance asking you what dress to wear for her sexier date that she decided to take instead of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We just went thru the Match ceremony at BCM. Dr. Klotman (who runs Baylor) told the story of how he had matched at his second choice, but after he got over the shock, he came to feel good about it. Since he now runs Baylor, it did not set him back career-wise to be sure.

His comments:
“It’s called ‘Match Day’ for a reason. It’s not called choice day,” he said. “The thing about a match is that it requires not only your choice, but the choice of the other institution that you’re applying to. Whatever choice you get, on the other side there’s going to be a program that is absolutely ecstatic that you are joining them. And because of that, it will be a great match.”

~~~~~~~

As a practical matter, understand that some staff person is likely doing her/his rote job soliciting feedback...the program surely did not mean to seem flippant toward you.

I could show you myriad posts on SDN where people with great credentials felt almost metaphysically certain that they would match at their number 1 choices, often home programs-- but then did not.

The Match is a peculiar mating dance...but it is what it is. Matching at your second choice beats the heck out of matching well lower...or not matching at all. I know an AOA type from a top 10 school that did not match the first time-- s/he simply did not play the interview game well...for many that is a to-be-learned skill, but it matters A LOT.

Reactions: 2 users
I see what you're saying.

I took OP's statement to mean they were just congratulating for matching at a specific program rather than the ROL number. (since OP consistently refers to is as #2)

You're right, they congratulated me on a specific program, not "congrats on your #2 spot". For anonymity's sake I left the name of the program out.

Reactions: 1 users
We just went thru the Match ceremony at BCM. Dr. Klotman (who runs Baylor) told the story of how he had matched at his second choice, but after he got over the shock, he came to feel good about it. Since he now runs Baylor, it did not set him back career-wise to be sure.

His comments:
“It’s called ‘Match Day’ for a reason. It’s not called choice day,” he said. “The thing about a match is that it requires not only your choice, but the choice of the other institution that you’re applying to. Whatever choice you get, on the other side there’s going to be a program that is absolutely ecstatic that you are joining them. And because of that, it will be a great match.”

~~~~~~~

As a practical matter, understand that some staff person is likely doing her/his rote job soliciting feedback...the program surely did not mean to seem flippant toward you.

I could show you myriad posts on SDN where people with great credentials felt almost metaphysically certain that they would match at their number 1 choices, often home programs-- but then did not.

The Match is a peculiar mating dance...but it is what it is. Matching at your second choice beats the heck out of matching well lower...or not matching at all. I know an AOA type from a top 10 school that did not match the first time-- s/he simply did not play the interview game well...for many that is a to-be-learned skill, but it matters A LOT.

Thanks for the awesome story!

Yeah, like I said in my original post, now that the shock and disbelief has worn off, I'm content with my #2 spot. I ranked them #2 for a reason over 18 other places, so it wasn't a bad thing at all. I think in the long run I will be much better off going to my #2 spot. Plus, as in your story, they liked me enough to rank me highly, so it's an honor to be going there.

The e-mail from my #1 spot kinda hit me in a weird way, and was completely unexpected.

Don't reply. That's a very rude gesture on their part

Reactions: 3 users
Agree. I wouldn't reply. It seems personalized and that's just a dick move on the program's part. Probably a good thing you didn't match there.

eh, i disagree...esp if you really think you may come back and then want to work at this place.

wait a few days and then write back a polite thank you and that you look forward to working with them if and when you come back to the area...you don't want to burn any bridges if in a few years later you need those connections.

eh, i disagree...esp if you really think you may come back and then want to work at this place.

wait a few days and then write back a polite thank you and that you look forward to working with them if and when you come back to the area...you don't want to burn any bridges if in a few years later you need those connections.
Agreed. I obviously don't know because I haven't seen the email, but I would bet it is a general form email they send to everyone who interviewed there, just with one or two specifics to make it seem more personal. Don't act all butthurt, respond with a short and respectful email and be done with it.

Residency matching isn't an exact science. Who knows, maybe you were literally next on their list but they filled uncharacteristically early this year. Maybe everyone liked you but for some reason someone with veto power didn't like a sentence in your personal statement. Residency programs, especially in specialties with bigger numbers, make mistakes every year. My program fills going less than halfway down the list, but there are a handful of people that have turned out to be lemons, where I'm sure some people farther down our rank list are superstars where they ended up.

Respond to the email, and don't think about it for another second. Be a great resident where you matched, so that when you do apply for a job/fellowship at your #1 they see what a big mistake they made.

re:

...wait a few days and then write back a polite thank you and that you look forward to working with them if and when you come back to the area...you don't want to burn any bridges if in a few years later you need those connections.

Agreed. I obviously don't know because I haven't seen the email, but I would bet it is a general form email they send to everyone who interviewed there, just with one or two specifics to make it seem more personal. Don't act all butthurt, respond with a short and respectful email and be done with it.

Residency matching isn't an exact science. Who knows, maybe you were literally next on their list but they filled uncharacteristically early this year. Maybe everyone liked you but for some reason someone with veto power didn't like a sentence in your personal statement. Residency programs, especially in specialties with bigger numbers, make mistakes every year. My program fills going less than halfway down the list, but there are a handful of people that have turned out to be lemons, where I'm sure some people farther down our rank list are superstars where they ended up.

Respond to the email, and don't think about it for another second. Be a great resident where you matched, so that when you do apply for a job/fellowship at your #1 they see what a big mistake they made.

~~~~~~

Good advice above here...these residency programs/fields can be surprisingly small worlds...you certainly do not want to burn any bridges.

As a highly interested observer (parent) with lots of experience recruiting in the business world, the medical residency match format struck me as a bit chaotic and even illogical...but it is what it is. Attendings do not interview people all that often and they can be imperious/supercilious (M. Deities), even rude, and certainly awkward at it.

As candidates, you ALWAYS want to be pleasant, polite, attentive/interested, calmly self-confident, maintain eye contact, and appreciative (see articles on "soft skills").

There is a reason for the common current/interviewing resident perspective: hey, we are looking for people who will work hard and be highly capable, but we could also see going to have a beer with.

re:

...wait a few days and then write back a polite thank you and that you look forward to working with them if and when you come back to the area...you don't want to burn any bridges if in a few years later you need those connections.

~~~~~~

Good advice above here...these residency programs/fields can be surprisingly small worlds...you certainly do not want to burn any bridges.

As a highly interested observer (parent) with lots of experience recruiting in the business world, the medical residency match format struck me as a bit chaotic and even illogical...but it is what it is. Attendings do not interview people all that often and they can be imperious/supercilious (M. Deities), even rude, and certainly awkward at it.

As candidates, you ALWAYS want to be pleasant, polite, attentive/interested, calmly self-confident, maintain eye contact, and appreciative (see articles on "soft skills").

There is a reason for the common current/interviewing resident perspective: hey, we are looking for people who will work hard and be highly capable, but we could also see going to have a beer with.

Yeah, I sent a response back and told them thank you for their time and congratulations, and that their program was excellent, so I am not sure exactly what I would change with their program. Then told them good luck with everything, and have a nice day.

Hopefully they don't detect it as being sarcasm or anything, but I had several friends proofread the response and say it sounded fine. Anyways, time to focus on the awesome residency program that accepted me and move on ^_^

Send them this by email...

giphy.gif

Sorry...a little vulgar...but funny.

So, as stated in a previous topic, I matched at my #2 program. I had multiple ties, a strong history and several reassurances with my #1 program, and was honestly floored during the match that I didn't match there. Over the past week and a half, I have gotten over the shock and am actually feeling okay with everything.

Then today, I get an e-mail from my #1 program that didn't rank me. It was a personalized e-mail, congratulating me on matching at my #2 spot, and saying that they hope to work with me again in 3 years after residency, and hoping I make it back to the area, and also asking what I thought about their program and how it could improve.

I know that many programs send out survey e-mails after the match, but is it generally common for the place that knew you were going to rank them #1 to not match you, then send a personalized e-mail asking for feedback after not matching there? Honestly it just felt kind of like a punch in the gut in a way, and I'm not entirely sure how I should feel about it, or what to say in response.

It's feels like the girl who turned you down for the dance asking you what dress to wear for her sexier date that she decided to take instead of you.

I'm confused, why are you hurt? Because they didn't match you? Seems kinda petty. I could understand if an individual told you, "We are ranking you number 1." or "in our top X" where X is the number of spots they have to fill being upset with that individual. But, you seem upset with the fact that they didn't want you as much as they wanted other people... How do you know that they didn't rank you? Something just doesn't sound right. You seem to feel entitled to a spot at their program, which I do not understand.

I'm confused, why are you hurt? Because they didn't match you? Seems kinda petty. I could understand if an individual told you, "We are ranking you number 1." or "in our top X" where X is the number of spots they have to fill being upset with that individual. But, you seem upset with the fact that they didn't want you as much as they wanted other people... How do you know that they didn't rank you? Something just doesn't sound right. You seem to feel entitled to a spot at their program, which I do not understand.

It is very unbecoming of a program to solicit feedback from applicants that were not ranked to match unless they're doing so BEFORE the match but doing so after just seems like rubbing salt in the wound and generally poor form.

What likely happened is that the program matched better than expected so OP didn't make the cut. I think OP meant didn't rank him high enough not at all.

I know OP has already sent a reply but I would've recommended just ignoring the email. It is NOT a personal email but a form letter where they populate your name and match. Noone would have even noticed you didn't reply let alone hold a grudge. There certainly wouldn't have been any burnt bridges.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It is very unbecoming of a program to solicit feedback from applicants that were not ranked to match unless they're doing so BEFORE the match but doing so after just seems like rubbing salt in the wound and generally poor form.

What likely happened is that the program matched better than expected so OP didn't make the cut. I think OP meant didn't rank him high enough not at all.

I know OP has already sent a reply but I would've recommended just ignoring the email. It is NOT a personal email but a form letter where they populate your name and match. Noone would have even noticed you didn't reply let alone hold a grudge. There certainly wouldn't have been any burnt bridges.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Except that didn't happen.

The program submitted their rank list with the OP on it (obviously no way to know for sure, but certainly far more likely than not). The OP ranked them number one. Nobody told the OP that he was ranked highly. A bunch of people unrelated to the program and unaffiliated with the program match list told him, "You will for sure match there!" The PD said in response to an applicant saying "I am ranking you number 1", "Cool, you are a good candidate." The OP matched their second choice.

I don't know how the program did anything wrong or unbecoming. I sent congrats e-mails to half a dozen applicants that I interviewed after I found out where they were going (in addition to the residents who matched with us of course). Replying to the e-mail or not replying is completely fine, nobody will notice as you say.

This really sucks. But you have to make sure that their reassurance or not just nice payments and they tell everyone. For example program director said we'd love to work you would not count that as a reassurance because that's not the same thing as saying we are going to rank you. But I guess it's kind of a dick move stay sent everyone that they interviewed a survey

The program submitted their rank list with the OP on it (obviously no way to know for sure, but certainly far more likely than not). The OP ranked them number one. Nobody told the OP that he was ranked highly. A bunch of people unrelated to the program and unaffiliated with the program match list told him, "You will for sure match there!" The PD said in response to an applicant saying "I am ranking you number 1", "Cool, you are a good candidate." The OP matched their second choice.

I don't know how the program did anything wrong or unbecoming. I sent congrats e-mails to half a dozen applicants that I interviewed after I found out where they were going (in addition to the residents who matched with us of course). Replying to the e-mail or not replying is completely fine, nobody will notice as you say.

While I agree with you that the applicant shouldn't take any pre-match communication to heart it is certainly unbecoming of a program to send surveys to applicants who were not ranked to match. aPD agrees with this...

We should only send you a survey if you were on our rank list above our final match. If that's the case, and you didn't match, the only possibility is that you didn't rank us. If programs are sending surveys like this to people below their final match, that's just plain mean.

I think asking an applicant why they didn't match at your program when they wanted to go there is pretty insulting. Of course you don't know for sure where people ranked you on their lists but you know that you ranked them lower than people who matched. It's as though they are saying hey you weren't good enough for us, tell us what we could have done better to pick even more better people than you.

I think asking an applicant why they didn't match at your program when they wanted to go there is pretty insulting. Of course you don't know for sure where people ranked you on their lists but you know that you ranked them lower than people who matched. It's as though they are saying hey you weren't good enough for us, tell us what we could have done better to pick even more better people than you.

I don't think anyone asked why an applicant didn't match at the program, I agree, if they did, it would be pretty insulting.

I just don't understand the idea of not matching with us = "you weren't good enough for us". Again, being mad at an individual who you thought mislead you, sure. But, taking the match personally just doesn't make sense to me.

I just don't understand the idea of not matching with us = "you weren't good enough for us". Again, being mad at an individual who you thought mislead you, sure. But, taking the match personally just doesn't make sense to me.

Your inability to grasp this concept makes me suspect you matched at your first choice for residency...

Your inability to grasp this concept makes me suspect you matched at your first choice for residency...

Yes, I did. I also understand the visceral response of not getting what you want. But, if you know how the match system works and if you have a vague notion of how programs make your rank list, to me it is illogical to get pissy about matching your second choice and getting a generic post-interview feedback form. I mean should we as a program get pissy and hold it against applicants who ranked other places higher than us? Should we take it personally that we didn't match our first choices?

Again, if any number of things were different in this case, I could understand. If someone is lied to or misled. If someone didn't match at all. etc. But, getting a "congrats on matching at XYZ. Do you mind giving us feedback?" and somehow thinking that a program is rubbing it in? Seems pretty sensitive to me.

I'm not trying to say that people should be disappointed about not matching at their first choice. They have every right to be. And after pretty extensive PMs from the OP, he is clearly ready to move on and not let anything like this hold him back at his program. That's good.

For me, it is more coming from a program perspective, lets say we match our 3, 5, 7 and 8th choices. We should only send feedback requests to our 1, 2, 4, and 6th choices? Obviously it depends on what you are asking them. It would be inappropriate to ask, "Why didn't you pick us?" But, saying, "Was it hard to find information about your program?" or "Was everyone nice when you interviewed?" to people that don't end up with you? Maybe a little weird, but hardly mean spirited...

For me, it is more coming from a program perspective, lets say we match our 3, 5, 7 and 8th choices. We should only send feedback requests to our 1, 2, 4, and 6th choices? Obviously it depends on what you are asking them. It would be inappropriate to ask, "Why didn't you pick us?" But, saying, "Was it hard to find information about your program?" or "Was everyone nice when you interviewed?" to people that don't end up with you? Maybe a little weird, but hardly mean spirited...

Yes, I and many others would take offense to any kind of survey to solicit feedback if I did not match at your program even though I ranked t higher than the place I matched.

The best way to solicit feedback from all those who interviewed (and I can see why you would want to do this if you are only going down to #8 on your rank list) is to send out the survey after both the program and applicants have ranked but before the results come out. One of the fellowship programs I interviewed at did this and I think it's a great idea. Even though I didn't think I was going to match there because they had not responded to my post-interview communication I happily filled out the survey honestly (I ended up matching there).

Mimelim, let me present a situation to you.

Since you matched at your #1 program, do you feel as though it would be viewed as acceptable to send emails to every program you ranked below #1 and ask them where they ranked you and why?

How do you think a program who you knew ranked you #1 would view it if you emailed them and asked what they thought about you although you obviously ranked someone else higher?

This thread wasn't meant to dispute "entitlement". It was initially meant to be an inquiry on how to respond, which at this point I have given a polite response and answered their questions.

Yes, I and many others would take offense to any kind of survey to solicit feedback if I did not match at your program even though I ranked t higher than the place I matched.

The best way to solicit feedback from all those who interviewed (and I can see why you would want to do this if you are only going down to #8 on your rank list) is to send out the survey after both the program and applicants have ranked but before the results come out. One of the fellowship programs I interviewed at did this and I think it's a great idea. Even though I didn't think I was going to match there because they had not responded to my post-interview communication I happily filled out the survey honestly (I ended up matching there).
Just don't be the program that sent "reminders" about the survery during the SOAP. Oh did not I mention that this same place sent out the survey to everyone that applied to the program, including people who had had radio silence from the program the entire season.

Mimelim, let me present a situation to you.

Since you matched at your #1 program, do you feel as though it would be viewed as acceptable to send emails to every program you ranked below #1 and ask them where they ranked you and why?

How do you think a program who you knew ranked you #1 would view it if you emailed them and asked what they thought about you although you obviously ranked someone else higher?

This thread wasn't meant to dispute "entitlement". It was initially meant to be an inquiry on how to respond, which at this point I have given a polite response and answered their questions.

Why would I e-mail other programs? I am not going through this again. This is in stark contrast to residency programs. We have to do this all over again. We have already started recruiting for next year. We are arranging away rotations and already have our eyes on several people who will submit ERAS 5 months from now. While we are a competitive program in a competitive specialty, small lapses and lack of detail can lead to programs not matching and getting crappy residents, which in a small residency can be disastrous. Survey feedback is a small component of how we shape our medical student out reach. What is 'normal' for an institution is hardly going to be the same as for applicants.

Further, while we can only rank one person as #1, I personally got 5 e-mails from people post interview telling me that they were ranking us #1. Those are just the people that told a resident, never mind our PD or didn't bother telling anyone. The numbers are very different. We make it very clear to people at the top of our list that we want them.

My point is simply that while students have the tendency from pre-med on up through residency take these processes personally. The vast majority of the time, they aren't. Those that are, are exceedingly obvious. I'm sure there are plenty of programs out there that do silly or stupid things. I'm sure there are plenty that have a left hand that doesn't know what the right is doing leading to less than nice e-mails being sent to the wrong person. They didn't hire you, they congratulated you on your success, complimented you and asked for feedback. I mean of all the slights you will suffer in the work place in the future, this is not going to crack the top 30. Ignore or polite response is normal. Getting pissy about it? Different story.

Reactions: 5 users
This thread really serves no purpose anymore.

Last edited:
Why would I e-mail other programs? I am not going through this again. This is in stark contrast to residency programs. We have to do this all over again. We have already started recruiting for next year. We are arranging away rotations and already have our eyes on several people who will submit ERAS 5 months from now. While we are a competitive program in a competitive specialty, small lapses and lack of detail can lead to programs not matching and getting crappy residents, which in a small residency can be disastrous. Survey feedback is a small component of how we shape our medical student out reach. What is 'normal' for an institution is hardly going to be the same as for applicants.

Further, while we can only rank one person as #1, I personally got 5 e-mails from people post interview telling me that they were ranking us #1. Those are just the people that told a resident, never mind our PD or didn't bother telling anyone. The numbers are very different. We make it very clear to people at the top of our list that we want them.

My point is simply that while students have the tendency from pre-med on up through residency take these processes personally. The vast majority of the time, they aren't. Those that are, are exceedingly obvious. I'm sure there are plenty of programs out there that do silly or stupid things. I'm sure there are plenty that have a left hand that doesn't know what the right is doing leading to less than nice e-mails being sent to the wrong person. They didn't hire you, they congratulated you on your success, complimented you and asked for feedback. I mean of all the slights you will suffer in the work place in the future, this is not going to crack the top 30. Ignore or polite response is normal. Getting pissy about it? Different story.

You clearly don't get it and nothing we say will make you get it. But since you're so interested in feedback you're getting plenty of it here... sending out surveys to applicants who were ranked below your lowest match is viewed by many/most applicants as a d-bag move and might give your program a reputation you wouldn't want that may affect how you match in the future. Don't do it. As I suggested earlier send them out before the match but after the rank list (and I guess don't send a reminder during SOAP week).

Yes, I did. I also understand the visceral response of not getting what you want. But, if you know how the match system works and if you have a vague notion of how programs make your rank list, to me it is illogical to get pissy about matching your second choice and getting a generic post-interview feedback form. I mean should we as a program get pissy and hold it against applicants who ranked other places higher than us? Should we take it personally that we didn't match our first choices?

Again, if any number of things were different in this case, I could understand. If someone is lied to or misled. If someone didn't match at all. etc. But, getting a "congrats on matching at XYZ. Do you mind giving us feedback?" and somehow thinking that a program is rubbing it in? Seems pretty sensitive to me.

Except the op says that they've already gotten over it and it's not about matching their #2 instead of their #1. They also didn't get a generic feedback form.

It was a personalized e-mail, congratulating me on matching at my #2 spot, and saying that they hope to work with me again in 3 years after residency, and hoping I make it back to the area, and also asking what I thought about their program and how it could improve.

They didn't rank op high enough and then asks them questions about the match as if it were op not ranking them high enough and saying that they want to see them again in 3 years. That's just in bad taste.

apparently you did not read his original post about this topic...he is well known at this program, in his home town, did rotations there, had detailed discussions with faculty and staff (including the PD) about him being there, etc and he was surprised that he didn't match there...

lesson learned for him is take everything with these programs with a grain of salt...

but it seems that entitled does recognize its own...

apparently you did not read his original post about this topic...he is well known at this program, in his home town, did rotations there, had detailed discussions with faculty and staff (including the PD) about him being there, etc and he was surprised that he didn't match there...

lesson learned for him is take everything with these programs with a grain of salt...

but it seems that entitled does recognize its own...

I'm just shocked he did not go into CT surgery.

Which field?

A lot of programs send these surveys out to everyone they interviewed, particularly in smaller fields. I didn't realize until this thread that some people consider this an etiquette breach. Like @mimelim said - for a lot of programs only sending the survey to those "ranked to match" might mean you only get to survey a handful of people.

I think it's best to send after the match list is locked in.

A lot of programs send these surveys out to everyone they interviewed, particularly in smaller fields. I didn't realize until this thread that some people consider this an etiquette breach. Like @mimelim said - for a lot of programs only sending the survey to those "ranked to match" might mean you only get to survey a handful of people.
well it can feel like they are rubbing salt in the wound...i was a bit perplexed when i got that kind of email from my #1 (many moons ago...) asking me what could have been done, what to improve, yada yada yada...my thoughts were really? how annoying...

Sending a survey to people you didn't consider good enough to match to ask what you can improve on is a bit of a wasted effort. You were obviously good enough for most of them, and there isn't much constructive criticism to be had from people still dealing with the disappointment of not matching at your program. Ask soon after the interview, if anything.