how to ace CARS and CP by spending < $60

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted388502

i scored the equivalent of a 511 on the pre-2015 exam (31, 99th percentile CARS). also studied through a study group here on sdn :)

i wanted to share three invaluable resources that are low cost or free and are in my opinion, game changers for prep.

CARS - LSAT reading comprehension from their practice tests with lsathacks.com for answers. Their reasoning is prime (including a passage analysis and UW style explanations) and imo so close to aamc logic. you can find these practice tests floating around online.

CP - this section is alllll about content knowledge. very little that can be thrown at you that you haven’t already seen.
- practice questions with EK1001 organic, physics, genchem. these books are 1001 discrete, stand-alone questions in the hard sciences. i always tell students: if you did 1001 questions on something, how could you not be an expert at that topic at the end of the day? especially in CP, the only section where i believe you have a good grasp on content before jumping to passages. i promise if you work through the entirety of these books your CP will skyrocket. you can also find these floating around online or on amazon used for a few bucks. disclaimer: some of the questions are absolute trash, and the explanations are not fantastic. the repetition of concepts is what makes this resource amazing.
- chads prep mcat course: $60/month on his website. if you have used chad before you know he is the god for all things physics and chem. i used him back when i studied for the mcat in 2014, that’s how long he’s been around! his mcat videos cover only what’s on the mcat (vs his free videos are more extensive) with discrete questions to test your knowledge after the video. IMO, besides UW and AAMC, best money you could spend on study materials.

i just wanted to share these nuggets i’ve picked up as fantastic tried and true resources over the years. other must haves are UW and AAMC, but i have seen the resources above make huge differences in scores and studying.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
You rarely hear about Chad's videos, which is a shame because they are really good. AK videos are also a really good resource. You don't have to spend thousands to get great prep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice! I looked into LSAT reading comprehension, and added it to my "practice resources" list. I know for CARS the common theme I've found is to keep reading. I try to read at least 3-5 passages a day, and I think the LSAT has great passages that are on the same level of rigor as the MCAT and they're quality explanations online too.

I picked up the EK 1001 Q's for Physics and Chemistry for now and the questions are great practice!

I'll pass on the Chad's MCAT prep, I already blew through my budget on UWorld, so I will stick to Khan Academy and various free Youtube videos on any topic I'm not strong on.

Last edited by a moderator: