How to add AP classes in AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneKatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to put in my coursework for AMCAS. It gives you the drop down for the school year, and then the drop down for the semester. If I started college with several AP credits from high school, what do I enter them as? Spring Semester of the year I finished high school as?

Members don't see this ad.

What I did: Look at your college transcripts. You were most likely awarded credits for the AP exams which were applied to your first semester in college (likely Fall 20__). I entered mine in the semester/year that my university applied them to, and I gave them the course name/number that they assigned (e.g., AP ART became ART 110). I entered the number of credits they awarded, and left the grade field blank. I checked the "AP" box at the bottom, and this was the only thing I did to indicate it was AP credit.

I have no idea if this is right...anyone want to correct me (please)? It seems like the AMCAS directions are about as clear as mud on this topic...

I tried leaving the grade blank on this class I audited and it gave me a big red warning message about fees and stuff for not putting in the grade...so for all of my upcoming classes and such I put NG for No Grade which appears on my transcript for a few bio labs (the grade and credits were all applied to the lecture only lol). There is an option for High School Student....

EDIT: Another question. One of the schools I am applying for requires an upper division psych class which I am taking this Spring Semester right before I graduate. However, since it is in the spring, as opposed to the fall, should I still add it in there as a current/Future class, to show that I PLAN on taking it even though I am not technically registered yet? I really wish there were instructions somewhere for this stuff....did I miss them or something? lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just ignored that warning. My transcripts don't have anything recorded for grade, so I figured it would probably throw them for a loop if I entered something.

Under the grade my transcript says "S" so that is what I put lol Not sure what that means exactly, but Oh well. Have you entered any future classes?
I am doing research right now, but we haven't actually added it as a class yet. lol I will have to figure that one out...

I listed AP credits in the summer before my first semester (in this case, Summer 2007) and AMCAS didn't correct them. I don't think it matters though.

Did you list them according to what your university titled the credit? What did you do for the grade field?

Did you list them according to what your university titled the credit? What did you do for the grade field?

Yeah, I listed them as on my transcript, which was the class I was credited with. I had a grade of CR (for "credit received") and put that in AMCAS. They seemed to be fine with that.

Put your AP credits under the semester you started college. For the grade, put G. You can list them as generic credit, or you can list the courses that you got credit for.

Go ahead and put in your future classes, especially if one of your schools requires that you take it, even though you won't take it until Spring. The red warning box will pop up; just ignore it.

Put your AP credits under the semester you started college. For the grade, put G. You can list them as generic credit, or you can list the courses that you got credit for.

Go ahead and put in your future classes, especially if one of your schools requires that you take it, even though you won't take it until Spring. The red warning box will pop up; just ignore it.

Thanks. What does "G" stand for? I assume this won't cause problems if my transcript has nothing for a grade?