how to address a probate judge...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DebDynamite

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm giving my first set of recommendations to a judge tomorrow (regarding one of my involuntary inpatients). How do you address a jusge these days? "Your honor" seems soemwhat formal. I'm thinking of sticking to "m'am" at the least. Hmmmm....."your honor" just sounds obsequious- but maybe it's the right thing to say?

Members don't see this ad.

Your honor is fine and commonly used in mental health court. You're giving verbal recommendation? If you are, they'll most likely ask you your professional opinion, in which case you don't really need to address the judge directly, but address the court in general.

I did in fact use your honor, which I thought would seem odd (because it was not in court, but a conference room) but in the end it was fine. Yeah, I just gave my (attending's) reccs for the follow up care of one of our patients. It was anxiety provoking at first, knowing that I was being recorded. That said, if I did it every day, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks!