how to answer "discuss an obstacle you have overcome" ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patel2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I grew up in a pretty fortunate family and do not feel that I really had to overcome any real sort of adversity to get to where I am today. For better or worse, my life is what it is. Asian dude who grew up in suburbia, went to private college, not too many "real" strugggles, especially when you consider the economy and the struggles millions of americans have right now. I was not disadvantaged in any way...but there are a number of secondaries asking this question (not optional).

At best, I could talk about some academic struggles withdrawing from a course, and how I used that year to decide medicine was worth the hard work. Does anyone else have trouble answering this question?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm dreading it a little. if i pick something that i didn't really cause, it feels like a sob story and is a little personal anyway, really. if i pick something i did cause, uh, then i'm writing an essay about screwing up :)

oh well. the diversity one will be even harder i think. i'm not way off the mean in a lot of ways. which is why it's the mean...

anyway, i guess you just gotta consider what they're asking for, vs the stereotypical extreme examples that might come to mind. i think a personal academic set back (especially since sdn visitors are typically pretty successful in that area) that taught you something is perfectly fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up in a pretty fortunate family and do not feel that I really had to overcome any real sort of adversity to get to where I am today. For better or worse, my life is what it is. Asian dude who grew up in suburbia, went to private college, not too many "real" strugggles, especially when you consider the economy and the struggles millions of americans have right now. I was not disadvantaged in any way...but there are a number of secondaries asking this question (not optional).

At best, I could talk about some academic struggles withdrawing from a course, and how I used that year to decide medicine was worth the hard work. Does anyone else have trouble answering this question?

I don't think that answers to the adversity type questions have to incorporate things like financial hardship, or discrimination etc. I wrote about having to fire an employee.. another example could be confronting a friend about cheating/drug problem/stealing etc. or dealing with having a relative in hospice. Just pick something that was particularly difficult for you and use that to highlight your personal strengths and maturity.

Reactions: 1 user
i had this monologue almost verbatim when i wrote this essay a few days ago, since i had no real life hardships i just went with expanding on a difficult EC

You have something, you're just thinking way too extreme. Everyone has challenges in their lives. I know you're not perfect, so that's proof enough you have something to overcome.
Basically, unless you're the perfect person, you have something to overcome -either you haven't overcome the obstacle or you had your memory erased.

Schools may vary but I suspect that many are more interested in how did you overcome whatever it is. The whatever is not the important part of the essay. It is how you did what you did: trying again, asking for help or advice, analyzing what went wrong and working on that, meditationor prayer, finding a distraction, getting involved in a group, helping or comforting others.

As a psychologically healthy person, you probably have defenses against thinking about the minor past obstacles in your life. If you ever did something that was hard, and you actually had to think about what to do about it, you could call it an obstacle. Honestly I think that the whole overcoming adversity thing is really overblown. Sure it shows character, but having a hard life shouldn't be a prerequisite for admission. If it isn't, then they are all just looking for convincing BSers.

Schools may vary but I suspect that many are more interested in how did you overcome whatever it is. The whatever is not the important part of the essay. It is how you did what you did: trying again, asking for help or advice, analyzing what went wrong and working on that, meditationor prayer, finding a distraction, getting involved in a group, helping or comforting others.

LizzyM, what do you think is too personal for these types of questions? Dealing with a drug-addicted family member? What about psychiatric illness in a family?

It can be anything, OP!

I had to write an essay on that topic for my undergrad's (prove you can write an essay) requirement to graduate. My topic: I poured the bowl of Lucky Charms one Saturday morning before realizing I had no milk.

I passed

I am a proponent of being very discrete about others' personal business. I have seen people report domestic violence of one family member against another (not involving the applicant directly), a father's adultery & love child, a parent coming out of the closet, and things of that sort and I find it very indiscrete.

If you are going to discuss someone's drug addiction, alcoholism or (other) mental illness, you might want to just call it an incurable chronic condition or be vague about which member of the family was ill. So many people are bent out of shape about patient confidentiality but will reveal personal information about members of the family with no reservations. I find that inappropriate.

Last edited:

An obstacle doesn't have to be a hardship. Try to come up with a personality flaw that you've had to deal with (like anxiety or lack of self-confidence) and how you've dealt with it and overcome the flaw to become a successful student.

Or, for another example, a friend of mine talked ab high school football. He was a great field goal kicker but he had one leg shorter than the other because of some growth plate deficiency. I thought that was an interesting angle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump.

Literally all I can think about is having to retake the MCAT after not doing so well the first time. I think this is so lame though. I really haven't had hardships. I guess breaking up with signifant others, but come on. Any ideas sdn?

I wonder how cliche a high school story about failing, then succeeding at a sport would be?
I guess it depends on whether they value the type of story or the actual details (the working hard, extra effort, etc.)

Bump.

Literally all I can think about is having to retake the MCAT after not doing so well the first time. I think this is so lame though. I really haven't had hardships. I guess breaking up with signifant others, but come on. Any ideas sdn?

I'm thinking of that too, took it 3 times, 2nd time worse than 1st, hence the third.

you probably don't want to tell an admissions committee that you have trouble doing well on standardized tests

Think of the most stressful situation in your life. How did you mentally will yourself through the struggle? Even if your life was privileged there's probably a time when you were under enormous pressure or stress. It could even jut be out getting through finals, but the point is show how you dealt with the stress and overcame it.

you probably don't want to tell an admissions committee that you have trouble doing well on standardized tests

Well for me I was just ill prepared for the first time I took it. After that I focused, made a plan and then got a good score. Overall I think it's got a good message. Something bad happen and i analyzed it, made a plan and executed it. But seriously the mcats a lame story of resiliency in my opinion.

Just a heads up, even if you don't get a secondary that asks this question, be prepared to answer it in interviews. It's one of the most common questions.

Not much of a chance when the evidence is glaring them in the face. Might as well come out with it and say what I learned in overcoming it.

Think of the most stressful situation in your life. How did you mentally will yourself through the struggle? Even if your life was privileged there's probably a time when you were under enormous pressure or stress. It could even jut be out getting through finals, but the point is show how you dealt with the stress and overcame it.

OP is from 2010.

Not much of a chance when the evidence is glaring them in the face. Might as well come out with it and say what I learned in overcoming it.

Having to retake the MCAT multiple times doesn't automatically mean you struggle with standardized tests. You could have gotten sick, been immature and not studied, had a terrible test environment, etc. I suggest not openly admitting that you struggle with standardized tests.

If retaking the mcat is the biggest obstacle you've overcome, then you must have had a pretty sweet life lol!

No I don't think it's serious enough... I mean it is not an obstacle that really impeded you from achieving your life goals.

Last edited:
No I don't think it's serious enough... I mean it is not an obstacle that really impeded you from achieving your life goals.

Who said it has to impede your life goals?? Like LizzyM said above, it doesn't matter *what* the obstacle was, just *how* you overcame it. I think the basketball thing can definitely work if the steps and time taken to achieve the goal are described more fully.

Who said it has to impede your life goals?? Like LizzyM said above, it doesn't matter *what* the obstacle was, just *how* you overcame it. I think the basketball thing can definitely work if the steps and time taken to achieve the goal are described more fully.

That poster specifically asked if working on his jump shot was considered a "hardship". I highly doubt not being able to score consistently is considered a hardship. Maybe if you making a college or professional team depended on the improvement of your jump shot, then yeah; but in that guy's case? not really...

It's really about whether the school puts any weight into the question that they ask. You can try to beef up your jump shot story all you want. But if it's compared to someone who got seriously ill, temporarily homeless, discriminated against in some form, ran out of money at a certain time, etc..., then your story is not going to hold any weight.

And if you are trying to use LizzyM as an example, then remember the post when she talked about how students used 2 paragraphs full of elaborate and imaginative details to describe applying a simple bandaid to a paper cut.

The more BS your hardship is, the better you have to spin it. And if you find yourself running out of things to say or over exaggerating, then chances are, it probably isn't a hardship.

That poster specifically asked if working on his jump shot was considered a "hardship". I highly doubt not being able to score consistently is considered a hardship. Maybe if you making a college or professional team depended on the improvement of your jump shot, then yeah; but in that guy's case? not really...

I doubt the poster really meant it as a "hardship." I took it to be more in line with the title of the thread - an "obstacle" - which I think it is.

It's really about whether the school puts any weight into the question that they ask. You can try to beef up your jump shot story all you want. But if it's compared to someone who got seriously ill, temporarily homeless, discriminated against in some form, ran out of money at a certain time, etc..., then your story is not going to hold any weight.

Of course not being able to shoot a basketball is not on the same level at all as not being able to put food on the table. The fact remains that not everyone has been seriously ill or temporarily homeless or discriminated against. Everyone has faced some kind of obstacle in their lives, whether tiny or life-changing, and while the basketball thing may seem trivial to someone who has been through much more, adcoms will care about the steps the person took to overcome that obstacle (viewing things from a different perspective, seeking help, dealing with stress, etc).

And if you are trying to use LizzyM as an example, then remember the post when she talked about how students used 2 paragraphs full of elaborate and imaginative details to describe applying a simple bandaid to a paper cut.

Okay?? That is not along the same line as the basketball poster. If basketball was an important part of the poster's life at that time, it was an obstacle he had to overcome in order to improve. I agree in the sense that the details should not be exaggerated, that's a no brainer, but if the poster could elaborate on the steps he took to achieve his goal, he can create a decent response to the question.

I suppose but he's had a pretty good life if that's his biggest obstacle that he can write about.

"The application process."

I'm a bit at a loss too. The only thing I can think of is being scheduled to work during finals time.

Having to retake the MCAT multiple times doesn't automatically mean you struggle with standardized tests. You could have gotten sick, been immature and not studied, had a terrible test environment, etc. I suggest not openly admitting that you struggle with standardized tests.

Thanks for that, definitely be sure not to mention it. I will have to think about it if I get an interview who has an open file and can see my 3 retakes and if they ask me about it.

On that note, back to the drawing board for this "obstacle"

I suppose but he's had a pretty good life if that's his biggest obstacle that he can write about.
The prompt asks for an obstacle, not necessarily the biggest one. And luckily for most people, it's not a pissing contest to see who's had it worse :). I agree with Ismet on this.

A few secondaries asked for a major obstacle and I wrote about getting over homesickness the first time I went away for school. In the grand scheme of things, this "obstacle" wasn't very obstacley at all (and hardly unique haha), but it did show some coping mechanisms. I ended that essay by acknowledging it's a minor obstacle and then talked about how I would address more major problems when they occur in med school. I highly doubt this essay helped my application, but I'm pretty sure it didn't hurt either.

If someone doesn't have a good example to use, they should just write sensibly and maturely about their topic. Schools likely know that many applicants come from privileged backgrounds. It's only going to hurt imo if someone can't be reflective enough to answer the prompt or if they try to make a minor obstacle seem like their Everest. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

I think this question is designed to help weed out the people who lack experiences...

I served on the admissions committee of my grad program, and I saw several different versions of this essay. Your idea is really not bad per se, the trick is in how well you write it. Remember that the adcoms are looking for both what you say about the topic, and how you go about saying it. Being able to string together a good narrative in your essay is just as important as your answer to the question at hand. And they will expect that you can write a convincing story even if the subject matter is not that impressive otherwise, the same way that a skilled chef would be expected to make a great dish even if he had to use substandard ingredients.

That all being said, if you find that you can't write a nice essay from your jump shot story, might I suggest something else? As other posters noted above, not everyone has had to face particularly hard obstacles or events in their lives. But everyone has had bad interactions with people at some point in their life. It might be that you got some harsh criticism from your coach, but after some honest introspection you realized he was right all along. Or maybe you have a boss that is hard to deal with, but you found a way to swallow your pride because you need your paycheck to help pay for college. Maybe the person in question is a family member, or a teacher, or a friend. Or it could even be a one-time encounter with a complete stranger. As the above poster noted, it is not the problem but how you dealt with it that is the point.

Last edited:
I served on the admissions committee of my grad program, and I saw several different versions of this essay. Your idea is really not bad per se, the trick is in how well you write it. Remember that the adcoms are looking for both what you say about the topic, and how you go about saying it. Being able to string together a good narrative in your essay is just as important as your answer to the question at hand. And they will expect that you can write a convincing story even if the subject matter is not that impressive otherwise, the same way that a skilled chef would be expected to make a great dish even if he had to use substandard ingredients.

That all being said, if you find that you can't write a nice essay from your jump shot story, might I suggest something else? As other posters noted above, not everyone has had to face particularly hard obstacles or events in their lives. But everyone has had bad interactions with people at some point in their life. It might be that you got some harsh criticism from your coach, but after some honest introspection you realized he was right all along. Or maybe you have a boss that is hard to deal with, but you found a way to swallow your pride because you need your paycheck to help pay for college. Maybe the person in question is a family member, or a teacher, or a friend. Or it could even be a one-time encounter with a complete stranger. As the above poster noted, it is not the problem but how you dealt with it that is the point.

Mine would be about several family members with super harsh criticism and undermining my abilities, not supporting my decision to travel and study in the states.. i have pretty good idea on how to write about overcoming all of this, since i did a pretty good job ! but I am not sure how to describe this obstacle, their behavior, without either trashing them or making in it sound insignificant ! either wouldn't make me look good... and they're still family too you know !