How to Approach Histology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ko8e24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I'm an M2 and I have realized very quickly that I absolutely hate histology, and for that reason I can't get myself to study/retain a lot of it. With regards to Step studying, what is the best way to overcome this obstacle? How much histo is typically seen on the boards?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personal experience, so take with a grain of salt. My step 1 exam had zero histology images on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Carefully, as to not bump your head on the microscope eyepiece.

...but seriously, histology is usually among the most predictable topics. Images are reused and are typically quite obvious to anyone who has seen a handful of examples.

The NBME has this habit of using crappy black and white &/or low-res images, but that’s beyond your control.

Try the high-yield images step 1 deck. Make cards using screenshots of the little FA square pictures w/associated text for enforcement.

You’ll be alright.

Histology gets better and better the farther you get into the course. You might consider asking for a tutoring session from someone who really enjoys the subject--one of the TA's, or a pathology resident. Once you catch on, it will be much better. Histology is really cool!

Histology is the worst and completely irrelevant to clinical practice. The only histology that is fun is the limited pathohistology that is covered in pathoma. I will never understand why medical schools teach histology over radiology (when radiology practically dictates all clinical decisions in modern medicine)

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
I used shotgun histo on YouTube to get a general overview. It helped quite a bit.

I second this, went from failing to passing histo thanks only to these videos.