How to ask a prof for an online class for a recommendation with a non science career-filled resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepFriedWater

Eh
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. If I lived anywhere near a college where I could take post bacc classes when not working, I would.
For the last 3 years I have been taking online online classes, well, because I have had rotating, very long shifts. My current career has nothing to do with science.

I got a great grade on an online biochem course and asked the prof for a letter to which he agreed. He wanted for me to send me my resume to help him write said letter. The problem is, I work in something that has absolutely nothing to do with science. In fact, I have worked in this career for years. How do I skirt that fact? Can I format my resume to diminish the non-academic, non-medical career that I have been working with?

I would love to hear some suggestions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to hear some suggestions.
Interesting username. :thumbup: LoRs from online course instructors might not be the best, but if that's what you got, then that's what you got to work with.

Disclaimer: I've not gone through an application cycle yet so I'm in the same place as you.

My approach would be to send them the AAMC guideline - link below. If they are at UNECOM, they're probably already aware.
https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

I work in something that has absolutely nothing to do with science.
I suppose it does not have to be about science 100%. If you look at the guideline, it talks about competency in "thinking and reasoning", "science", and "intrapersonal". Maybe you could send them your resume (tailored to highlight your accomplishments in thinking, reasoning, and intrapersonal competencies) and also your personal statement. If they're willing, maybe you could also have a phone call where you tell them "why medicine, why now", your accomplishments (relating to the AAMC competencies etc)? Also tell them (via email or personal statement) your activities relating to clinical volunteering etc and any other thing that could be relevant.

In the osteo world, we see plenty of posts where folks report that they shadow a DO for 8 hours and get a letter. So this is not all that different, but that's just my opinion. Hopefully you can make this work.

Last edited:
Interesting username. :thumbup: LoRs from online course instructors might not be the best, but if that's what you got, then that's what you got to work with.

Disclaimer: I've not gone through an application cycle yet so I'm in the same place as you.
My approach would be to send them the AAMC guideline
Thanks! Yeah, to put it politely, I was so skittish about asking, I phrased it as, "I need a letter for grad school. Would you be willing to write it?" Now I have to let him know gently that it's medical school. Somehow it makes a difference-not sure why. I'd probably assume (rightly) that this professor has a standard formal letter already put together that he tweaks for everyone. It's a state school professor, so I'm sure he gets it a lot. He actually told me it's better to get face to face profs. I'm sure it is, but I'm years out from my face to face classes. Asked those profs, but no-go. The only thing I have is a LOR for a totally different field identifying my strengths from a former professor.

I suppose it does not have to be about science 100%. If you look at the guideline, it talks about competency in "thinking and reasoning", "science", and "intrapersonal". Maybe you could send them your resume (tailored to highlight your accomplishments in thinking, reasoning, and intrapersonal competencies) and also your personal statement. If they're willing, maybe you could also have a phone call where you tell them "why medicine, why now", your accomplishments (relating to the AAMC competencies etc)? Also tell them (via email or personal statement) your activities relating to clinical volunteering etc and any other thing that could be relevant.
In the osteo world, we see plenty of posts where folks report that they shadow a DO for 8 hours and get a letter. So this is not all that different, but that's just my opinion. Hopefully you can make this work.

I had a hard time just begging my way into shadowing physicians. I researched every single private practice physician office around here and went from door to door asking to shadow and leaving my name and number. This was after I asked local hospitals if I could. They never got back to me. I was lucky to get one kind-hearted doctor to help me by allowing me to shadow for a month.
I'm hoping this professor will give me a shot. I actually never thought about calling him. I don't know for certain that he will be in-office this summer and he's in a completely different state. It's worth a shot, though. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually never thought about calling him.
Might sound strange, but hearing your voice, tone, laugh, etc might help him like you better. I've had interactions with clients and vendors just on email for months/years and then when I had to call them and talk on the phone - some I liked and some I did not. Might help you form a better connection if you speak with them. Do your best to be personable on the phone call.

Your options for schools is very limited with all your pre-requisites being online. You would need to have a slam dunk MCAT score to prove to adcoms that you know your stuff.

Your options for schools is very limited with all your pre-requisites being online. You would need to have a slam dunk MCAT score to prove to adcoms that you know your stuff.
My prereqs are mostly traditional style, since my B.Sci was in Biology. They were just years ago. All of my online courses are post bacc as either repeats or optional higher level courses to boost my grade.

Might sound strange, but hearing your voice, tone, laugh, etc might help him like you better. I've had interactions with clients and vendors just on email for months/years and then when I had to call them and talk on the phone - some I liked and some I did not. Might help you form a better connection if you speak with them. Do your best to be personable on the phone call.

Thanks! I'll give that a try if I get a chance today!

Hey guys. If I lived anywhere near a college where I could take post bacc classes when not working, I would.
For the last 3 years I have been taking online online classes, well, because I have had rotating, very long shifts. My current career has nothing to do with science.

I got a great grade on an online biochem course and asked the prof for a letter to which he agreed. He wanted for me to send me my resume to help him write said letter. The problem is, I work in something that has absolutely nothing to do with science. In fact, I have worked in this career for years. How do I skirt that fact? Can I format my resume to diminish the non-academic, non-medical career that I have been working with?

I would love to hear some suggestions. Thanks.
Why are you scared of discussing your current career? Med schools will want to know what you've been doing with your life. They'll want to know why you took these classes online (PS many schools don't accept online credits for prereqs). More and more med students come from non-traditional backgrounds, majors and careers.

Reactions: 1 user
You're going to have to explain why you did your post-bac coursework online. If you were in the military that would be a different story, but your career/job is not enough to justify you choosing to go online. Many non-trads have taken one class per semester in a traditional class setting and have matriculated into medical schools...they were in the predicament you are in.

Why are you scared of discussing your current career? Med schools will want to know what you've been doing with your life. They'll want to know why you took these classes online (PS many schools don't accept online credits for prereqs). More and more med students come from non-traditional backgrounds, majors and careers.

I guess I should embrace my current career on the resume. I'm only hoping that this prof would be able to have enough info to write me a decent letter. I suppose I could sent my resume through a paid person. Maybe that'd help. These prof letters really do seem to come at a premium. I actually had ACOM ask me for a LOR from an online professor this year. Hence, I am interested in obtaining one even if I have to pay for it.

Thanks for the reassurance!

You're going to have to explain why you did your post-bac coursework online. If you were in the military that would be a different story, but your career/job is not enough to justify you choosing to go online. Many non-trads have taken one class per semester in a traditional class setting and have matriculated into medical schools...they were in the predicament you are in.

I disagree. I think paying my bills, feeding myself, and keeping a roof over my head are a pretty good reason for doing some of my post bacc coursework online while working a career. You tell me how I can work a 14 hour night shift/2nd shift gig 5 days a week and still drive 2 hours one way to the closest college. I didn't come on here to argue about how "qualified" I am. I leave that for the admissions committees. They can tell me about my shortcomings. I only asked for advice on how best to phrase my letter and resume to help the professor write me the best letter he can.

One of my LORs (non-science) came from an online professor. I had had many non-science courses in the past but they were from 10+ years ago. Hers was the only non-science course I'd taken in the past 4 years, so I felt it was my best option. I sent her the AAMC guidelines and asked her to give them a look and to tell me if she felt she could write a strong letter based on that. She said she believed she could.

Definitely pass along those guidelines and let the prof decide if they feel they can write one or not. Like others on here I'm not sure why you'd want to hide any of your activities on your resume. Everything you've done makes you you. I had a few LOR writers ask for my resume (which is very, very varied), and I had one tell me it helped them write as they could highlight my performance in the face of long work hours, etc. I think you'll be fine on that specific front.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the others about providing your full resume. Something I see on here a lot is premeds thinking that if things can't somehow be tied to medicine or science, they aren't relevant. But working in a healthcare setting requires a ton of non-science related skills.

So if you flipped burgers or sold clothes for a couple years to pay the bills, you've probably developed some good customer service skills and good multitasking skills. Working as a teacher or coaching would help with effectively communicating with patients, explaining things in terms they understand, and maybe motivating them to make healthier choices. Babysitting or nannying for a couple years shows that you're someone trustworthy enough that someone made you responsible for their child over an extended period of time, etc. Hell, just being able to see things from another perspective is huge.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with your online prof that you should do everything in your power to get a LOR from someone who actually knows you. The purpose of a LOR is to attest to your personal characteristics that would make you a good candidate for a career in medicine. The problem with getting a LOR from an online class is that the prof doesn't know you. I mean, I'm a prof too, and an academic physician to boot. You could send me your resume, and I could write you the same exact nonspecific LOR on university stationary that will tell the adcom exactly nothing about your personal characteristics and drive for medicine. They will already know you got an A in the class. What they need is for someone who has actually laid eyes on your mug to say something to the effect of, "DFW is a guy/gal with a strong work ethic, as exemplified by XYZ. S/he also shows great commitment to a career in medicine and a good ability to work with others. For example...."

Since you're not currently in college, you have a couple of ways you could try to play this. If you're very far out, you could try to substitute letters. I was ten years out when I applied, and I got LORs from my grad school faculty for the sciences, and an employer letter for my non science letter. I contacted each medical school individually, explained my situation, and requested permission to substitute a LOR from my current employer. Every school agreed to allow me to do this. Alternatively, if you're just a couple of years out, try contacting your college and see if you can get a committee LOR. A lot of med schools prefer those over individual LORs anyway.

But seriously, getting a general, nonspecific LOR from a guy who's never met you is not very useful to the adcom. It completely defeats the purpose of being able to "introduce" you to an adcom that's never met you if written by another person who has also never met you.

One of my LORs (non-science) came from an online professor. I had had many non-science courses in the past but they were from 10+ years ago. Hers was the only non-science course I'd taken in the past 4 years, so I felt it was my best option. I sent her the AAMC guidelines and asked her to give them a look and to tell me if she felt she could write a strong letter based on that. She said she believed she could.

Definitely pass along those guidelines and let the prof decide if they feel they can write one or not. Like others on here I'm not sure why you'd want to hide any of your activities on your resume. Everything you've done makes you you. I had a few LOR writers ask for my resume (which is very, very varied), and I had one tell me it helped them write as they could highlight my performance in the face of long work hours, etc. I think you'll be fine on that specific front.

I did what you suggested. I agree, it's me that they'll see. I hope if nothing else, my blunt, no frills resume does the trick. This professor taught me a biochemistry class. He told me it would be better for me to obtain one from a face to face prof, to which I explained that my face to face profs were so many years ago that they flat out said no. Then, finally he agreed to do it. I'm hoping he pulls through. Thanks so much for the encouragement and suggestions.

Agree with the others about providing your full resume. Something I see on here a lot is premeds thinking that if things can't somehow be tied to medicine or science, they aren't relevant. But working in a healthcare setting requires a ton of non-science related skills.

So if you flipped burgers or sold clothes for a couple years to pay the bills, you've probably developed some good customer service skills and good multitasking skills. Working as a teacher or coaching would help with effectively communicating with patients, explaining things in terms they understand, and maybe motivating them to make healthier choices. Babysitting or nannying for a couple years shows that you're someone trustworthy enough that someone made you responsible for their child over an extended period of time, etc. Hell, just being able to see things from another perspective is huge.

Yep, financial auditing for a large company. Not as much of a responsibility as caring for someone whose life is in the balance, but it isn't easy. I have switched jobs over the years, too, so my resume is a bit of a mess. Finally landed a career type job a few years back. I'm hoping that helps a little, but I appreciate you helping me look on the bright side. Yes, it helped me gain a lot of helpful skills that really have com in handy when applying for jobs. I can morph that into a good set of skills for med school in my applications. I even took the GMAT and did really well on it. I could take MBA when I get into a school. Thanks again!

I agree with your online prof that you should do everything in your power to get a LOR from someone who actually knows you. The purpose of a LOR is to attest to your personal characteristics that would make you a good candidate for a career in medicine. The problem with getting a LOR from an online class is that the prof doesn't know you. I mean, I'm a prof too, and an academic physician to boot. You could send me your resume, and I could write you the same exact nonspecific LOR on university stationary that will tell the adcom exactly nothing about your personal characteristics and drive for medicine. They will already know you got an A in the class. What they need is for someone who has actually laid eyes on your mug to say something to the effect of, "DFW is a guy/gal with a strong work ethic, as exemplified by XYZ. S/he also shows great commitment to a career in medicine and a good ability to work with others. For example...."

Since you're not currently in college, you have a couple of ways you could try to play this. If you're very far out, you could try to substitute letters. I was ten years out when I applied, and I got LORs from my grad school faculty for the sciences, and an employer letter for my non science letter. I contacted each medical school individually, explained my situation, and requested permission to substitute a LOR from my current employer. Every school agreed to allow me to do this. Alternatively, if you're just a couple of years out, try contacting your college and see if you can get a committee LOR. A lot of med schools prefer those over individual LORs anyway.

But seriously, getting a general, nonspecific LOR from a guy who's never met you is not very useful to the adcom. It completely defeats the purpose of being able to "introduce" you to an adcom that's never met you if written by another person who has also never met you.

Thanks. Yeah, I really wouldn't have asked this prof unless I really needed it. He even suggested I first try for my face to face profs. Those are a decade or more out. As it is at the moment, I'm not a career student, so I haven't got much except for having to work long hours and taking school online part time. If I lived in a city it would make more sense, but I live hours away from any real 4 year college making it nearly impossible. This year I got a personal email from the admissions personnel at an osteopath school asking me if I would just ask one of my recent online professors for a LOR. I figured, if they are interested enough to send me a personal email specifically requesting that, they are interested in admitting me. Why not try?