How to ask for rec letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be better to email the prof. first and let them know and arrange to meet with them?

Or just ask them in person first?

Any tips in general... for a newb :D
Do they need to know my extracurriculars, non-academic stuff..?

Members don't see this ad.

E-mail to arrange a meeting time. Don't tell them what for.

Come prepared with at least these things: personal statement, transcripts, resume, passport photo, form dealing with where it will be sent to, nice folder with your school's logo on it.

Asking rec letters is no tiny thing. You'll want to impress them before they even know you're asking (as such, this should all be ready before you ask).

It may seem a bit stingy, but the extra effort definitely helps. Also, right on the folder when the letter needs to be finished by (in bold sharpie) so there's no mistaking it!

Personal Statement?! Fall Semester isn't even over lol... I'll be writing that in June

would anyone recommend asking RIGHT at the end of Fall Semester to give the prof. a few months advance notice.... since he won't be teaching me in the Spring?

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal Statement?! Fall Semester isn't even over lol... I'll be writing that in June

would anyone recommend asking RIGHT at the end of Fall Semester to give the prof. a few months advance notice.... since he won't be teaching me in the Spring?

It depends on the professor. I just asked my microbiology prof from summer via email and I am meeting with her tomorrow. You don't need to write a personal statement unless the professor specifically asks you to do so.
I am going to have my transcript and the letter form with me, but I am not going to pull them out unless she says she is okay with writting it after our meeting. Do not put this off like I have, just get the balls and ask teachers. If they say "I would be happy to," then you are golden. DO NOT ASK professors that seem like they could care less.

EDIT: Also, I never talked to this professor in class but she was nice so I didn't think she would mind.

best to ask either right now or after the class is done with.

It depends on the professor. I just asked my microbiology prof from summer via email and I am meeting with her tomorrow. You don't need to write a personal statement unless the professor specifically asks you to do so.
I am going to have my transcript and the letter form with me, but I am not going to pull them out unless she says she is okay with writting it after our meeting. Do not put this off like I have, just get the balls and ask teachers. If they say "I would be happy to," then you are golden. DO NOT ASK professors that seem like they could care less.

EDIT: Also, I never talked to this professor in class but she was nice so I didn't think she would mind.

It doesn't have to be your final personal statement, but at least a "good" rough draft (have it noted that it is rough also), so that they have something to go on when writing your rec letter. For most people, you'll do good in a prof's class, have probably talked to them a few times, but I know my sciences classes were daunting in their size. A personal statement gives them something quick to read so they can ask questions about you and write a better letter.

RealMD thats RealEXCESSIVE

politely asking a professor in private is more than ample. explain why you are asking him (be it personal intereaction, performing well in class whatever)

professors know you need their letters, and if you were a good student for them and they know your name, thats all you need.

the only thing i would say to have is enough for them to write abuot.. make sure you got your resume and a small blurb about yourself, you dont need your personal statement done or a fancy notebook.

i just told them id email them what i had on my resume

I wrote up an autobiography, a CV, and a statement of purpose, printed them all out, stuff them in a brown envelope, and handed them to each of the professors who agreed to help write for me.

Thanks for the replies guys.. I couldn't find this anywhere.. but where exactly do you ask the professors to submit these letters?

I hear people talking about something called Interfolio. What is the most common/easiest way to get this done?

Thanks for the replies guys.. I couldn't find this anywhere.. but where exactly do you ask the professors to submit these letters?

I hear people talking about something called Interfolio. What is the most common/easiest way to get this done?

Luckily my school provides a letter service for the students so we don't have to do it through Interfolio. I am positive that someone can point you in the right direction on how to sign up for it though. Good luck.

RealMD thats RealEXCESSIVE

politely asking a professor in private is more than ample. explain why you are asking him (be it personal intereaction, performing well in class whatever)

professors know you need their letters, and if you were a good student for them and they know your name, thats all you need.

the only thing i would say to have is enough for them to write abuot.. make sure you got your resume and a small blurb about yourself, you dont need your personal statement done or a fancy notebook.

i just told them id email them what i had on my resume

To each their own. What you consider excessive, I find adequate. This is something you'd probably do for larger science classes (like my ochem class of 480) than a smaller 20-person class where the professor already knows you.

RealMD is right. You have to have your crap together for this, and you have to ask early and be as clear as possible on deadlines so that your app isn't held up by LORs, (happened to me and it sucks. I even did all of these things). If you do not go in there with all of these things in order, you are basically asking them to hold your hand through the process:

• personal statement
  • resume
  • Current transcripts
  • cover letter in business format including all your contact information explaining everything you need, special instructions for schools and deadlines (your own deadlines, not the schools deadlines. Don't tell them they're due by January, which may be true for some schools, but it is also true that your app will be on hold until that time as well if you don't get your LORs in.)
  • nice folder to house it all
  • stamped addressed envelopes for each school you are applying to (you can possibly give them these as you receive your secondaries.)
these things should be considered bare minimum.

Oh, I state all of this because 100% guaranteed, your LORs will be the last thing you need to finish your app and they will be the only thing you have no control over. If you don't put on your game face, they will be less likely to put on theirs and your LOR will be stuck in limbo for a long[\b] time. Heckling them doesn't get it done faster either!

Members don't see this ad :)
You: "Hi Professor ______. You dont know me, but I was in your class last semester. Can I get a letter of rec for med school?"

Professor _______ : "Uhm..."

........just dont do this and you will be fine.

But where are the professors supposed to send the letter of rec to? Do they send it to amcas? or to the school? I just started my third year, and I'm planning to ask my O-Chem teacher for a LOR at the end of the semester. I understand all the things required to give to the professor (personal statement, resume, transcripts, etc etc) but where are the pre-stamped letters supposed to be addressed to?

But where are the professors supposed to send the letter of rec to? Do they send it to amcas? or to the school? I just started my third year, and I'm planning to ask my O-Chem teacher for a LOR at the end of the semester. I understand all the things required to give to the professor (personal statement, resume, transcripts, etc etc) but where are the pre-stamped letters supposed to be addressed to?

This will be made clear when you get your secondaries. Best to wait until then to give out the stamped, addressed envelopes, and all the more reason to get your AMCAS out early so that the secondaries arrive quicker.

you DO NOT need a resume for your professor to write you a solid LOR. Sure you can give them one, but it is absolutely not necessary. If the professor does not know you that well then you should write something that gives them an idea of who you are.

STAND ON THEM after they agree to it. The process is not over until the letter is in your hands or on file somewhere. If they're going to put it in the mail tomorrow, the process is not over.

Also, ask other pre-meds about who you have to hassle and who you don't. Some profs are notorious for being really fast & nice about it and others are notorious for saying yes and taking 6 months to do it.

I just emailed the professors, and asked to set up an appointment. Most of them wanted a copy of my personal statement, a CV (resume), and a copy of unofficial transcripts. I go to a big school, so its hard for them to know you really well, which is why they might want so much stuff. Good Luck

Thanks for askign this question. I was wondering the same thing :)

I'm in the over-doing it camp as well.

I had my resume, transcripts, rough draft of personal statement, research description, and miniaturized version of my most recent poster. All were in page protectors in one of those plastic 3 prong folders. In the pocket I had the cover form my school uses and I taped a printed sheet with the due date and where to send it on the pocket.

...But I'm anal retentive.

Of course, one of my recommenders had already been asked by several people and it sounded like she was going to say that she simply didn't have enough time to write it. But then she said that she would be glad to do it. She mentioned how organized everything was - I think it may have swayed things in my favor. And, hey, it's one more nice thing they can write about you...

I also did exactly what TheRealMD said, I emailed for a meeting without saying what it was for. Some profs definitely like to be asked in person (and this one was hard to get a hold of).

So I was like, "dude, like, can you write some reks for me?"

And he was like "duude, like to get into medschool n shxt?"

and I was like "totally."

Then I have a recommandation letter.

You say: "I want a strong letter."
Thank you.

Just to be clear: Letters of rec are for secondaries, none needed for primary?

And if using Interfolio, you have the profs send the letters to Interfolio and then from Interfolio you can have copies mailed to the schools as needed?

Just to be clear: Letters of rec are for secondaries, none needed for primary?

And if using Interfolio, you have the profs send the letters to Interfolio and then from Interfolio you can have copies mailed to the schools as needed?

LORs are not part of the AMCAS primary. When you get secondaries, they will have instructions on how to send LORs, how many they want, and what format they want them in. You can use a letter service, but this is up to you and your school/pre-med committee. Every school has different LOR requirements, and some have additional forms they want the providers to fill out. You should have already asked your professors for LORs long before you get the secondaries, however.

you DO NOT need a resume for your professor to write you a solid LOR. Sure you can give them one, but it is absolutely not necessary. If the professor does not know you that well then you should write something that gives them an idea of who you are.

Even if they know you I think a CV would be a really good thing to add. It can remind them of things they may have forgotten and also show them that you could be an even more of an impressive candidate than they thought you were.

I'm planning on giving them my CV and possibly a person statement.

I agree with RealMD. The idea isn't to dazzle them with your completeness or fancy notebooks though, but rather to allow them to get to know you a little better. This should never hurt your chances and really gives you an opportunity to improve your chances of a great letter.

Not to mention, you could always ask if they would be willing to review your personal statement and give you feedback. How could that hurt?

Just 2 cents from a man without a penny...

Even if they know you I think a CV would be a really good thing to add. It can remind them of things they may have forgotten and also show them that you could be an even more of an impressive candidate than they thought you were.

I'm planning on giving them my CV and possibly a person statement.

I agree with RealMD. The idea isn't to dazzle them with your completeness or fancy notebooks though, but rather to allow them to get to know you a little better. This should never hurt your chances and really gives you an opportunity to improve your chances of a great letter.

Many people said that my LOR "package" was the most complete they have ever seen. It's just professionalism, and it will get you a better LOR. You want to look like you have your **** together and know what you're doing. If you give them a well organized package, you're telling them that it's important to you and they should take it seriously. They still might string you along for six months or more (one of mine still did), but it's not as likely. And if they have everything from the beginning, they don't need to ask you for stuff and further delay the process.

Not to mention, you could always ask if they would be willing to review your personal statement and give you feedback. How could that hurt?

Just 2 cents from a man without a penny...

I was happy enough to just get the LOR, thank you. If you can pull a personal statement edit from them, that's cool, I guess. I had enough trouble just getting the LOR. I wasn't about to ask them for anything else.

Many professors/pre-med committees will want your MCAT scores as well. Include them in the packet.

You: "Hi Professor ______. You dont know me, but I was in your class last semester. Can I get a letter of rec for med school?"

Professor _______ : "Uhm..."

........just dont do this and you will be fine.

if this is the case, even a big realMD packet of info is not gonna help

you gotta get to know your target letter writers long before you ask them. thats the key, not some fancy proposal and crap

I was happy enough to just get the LOR, thank you. If you can pull a personal statement edit from them, that's cool, I guess. I had enough trouble just getting the LOR. I wasn't about to ask them for anything else.

I go to a smaller state school (avg class size from 20-50), so I know my professors pretty well. We'll hang out and chat about this and that, new avenues of research, and even on occasion grab a beer or two when the semester is over. So, yes. I feel completely comfortable both asking for a LOR and asking if they would giving me feedback on my personal statement.

Everyones situation might be different, but this is mine.

If you are already "in" with your profesor just be like "Hey Prof. Skippy... can I have a LOR?" And if Prof. Skippy knows you very well the answer should be yes. But since your asking I am assuming that is not how the relationship is...

So here is the question (this might have already been asked, I haven't read the whole thread) is it a big lecture or is a a small lecture. Are there guidelines? I know for physics and for bio, at my university, you could only get LOR for medical school if you recieved A's in these courses. If not go to office hours, make sure the professor knows your face. I am hoping for an A this semester so I can get a LOR from my physics II Prof and he knows my face from sitting in the same seat in the front for 2 semesters. Also if your prof. does research get on his/her good side by becoming interested in it. Throw some abstract ideas around, or ask for clarification on a certain lecture. Become known through your prof. eyes. If you do that then you should have no problem getting an LOR... If you become friendly with your prof. you should be able to ask in that casual manner... see above.

If you don't want to go through all of that just set up an appointment and go see your prof. But I suggest doing what I said above, because you don't want the "form LOR" you want the professor to get a sense of who you are. There is still time to get to know your prof., it's only novemeber. Try doing what I said above and ask for the letter before the final.

What if i'm not sure whether I'm going to apply for 2008 or 2009, but I want a LOR from the professor, but I don't want him to forget me. I'm doing well in the class but if I ask him for a letter of rec, do I say, "Can you write the letter of rec for me but save it until i get secondaries (which may be in 2 years) and then when I tell you can you mail it to them?" Or do I just have to come back to the professor when I'm applying for med school and ask him to write it for me then (by which time he may have forgotten the better qualities of me).

Damn... sounds pretty intimidating...

I don't know of anyone who's even started thinking about apps yet... or personal statements.. most people I know haven't even taken the MCATs!\

I was thinking about just setting up an appointment with the teacher and asking for anything they would need to help them in writing it. That's how I thought most people did it...

Would it be a good idea to walk in there, ask them about it casually... and then ask if they need any other materials to help them write it?

Hmm.. I was wondering the same thing. I am currently TA'ing for Gen Chem 1.. a course that I got a B+ in. However, the professor has gotten to know me, since we have staff meetings with him. Moreover, I was thinking of re-taking Gen Chem 1 (currently a first semester sophmore).. Do you guys think I would have a fair chance of getting a rec from this professor... say even if I dont take that class over again to get the A... moreover, I plan on TA'ing this course for next semester, and possibly my junior year as well!... or I can easily get an ORGO TA position as well, and ask my orgo professor for a rec?? What do you guys think?

*Keep in mind that this was a class of about 1200 students all taking Gen Chem.... narrowed down to about 20 TA's

I sorta asked for one this weekend- I was in DC presenting research (Holocaust Public Memory at the National Holocaust Museum) with a faculty member I studied abroad and then researched with and 2 other student collegues... I brought it up in one conversation about wanting to make an appointment in the spring before she adopts a baby from China to talk about the letter. She was like of course I will write you an awesome one!

She is amazing though and since I travelled with her and have spent a lot of time either one on one or in a very small group (3-5 people) it wasn't at all hard- and her undergrad is in English so it will be technically perfect- if she writes at all how she grades :)

Now those science profs who have massive classes- I have two picked out and will talk to them come February or so...

One school that I looked at said you have to have one from each of the science fields- does that include Physics? Cuz both of my physics profs are adjuncts and pretty crappy???

Hmm.. I was wondering the same thing. I am currently TA'ing for Gen Chem 1.. a course that I got a B+ in. However, the professor has gotten to know me, since we have staff meetings with him. Moreover, I was thinking of re-taking Gen Chem 1 (currently a first semester sophmore).. Do you guys think I would have a fair chance of getting a rec from this professor... say even if I dont take that class over again to get the A... moreover, I plan on TA'ing this course for next semester, and possibly my junior year as well!... or I can easily get an ORGO TA position as well, and ask my orgo professor for a rec?? What do you guys think?

*Keep in mind that this was a class of about 1200 students all taking Gen Chem.... narrowed down to about 20 TA's

I would think you would be fine and retaking would be a waste of time (unless you REALLY don't get the material)- I am going to be asking my organic professor from this semester for a letter after the semester is over and I am still not sure if I will have an A or B (I have an 89.7 now with 2 test left) but I have been to his office numerous times and have him in lab so I think it will be better than the A in got in Gen Chem were I was one in a sea of students.

If your transcript shows you got a B+, don't bother retaking. Plus, it's really not the grade that's as important if the relationship with the prof is more than your typical "He/she got an A. They'll make an excellent doctor!"

Damn... sounds pretty intimidating...

I don't know of anyone who's even started thinking about apps yet... or personal statements.. most people I know haven't even taken the MCATs!\

I was thinking about just setting up an appointment with the teacher and asking for anything they would need to help them in writing it. That's how I thought most people did it...

Would it be a good idea to walk in there, ask them about it casually... and then ask if they need any other materials to help them write it?

This is probably indeed how most people do it. But my posts were aimed at what you would do if you want to stand out. You have to create all of those things anyway, why not just put them in a folder and hand them to your instructor all at once? If you do it like you described, and like most people do, you communicate that you have never done this before and you want them to show you how it's done, i.e., hold your hand. Many professors will probably be ok with that. That doesn't change the fact that they will probably be impressed if you hand them a well organized LOR packet from the beginning. You then communicate that you know what you're doing, it's important to you, and they get everything they need from the beginning without having to ask. I guarantee they will be impressed if you give them all that stuff. This is not a totally painless process for them either. It takes them time and energy. You also communicate to them that you respect their time and you aren't going to waste theirs because you don't know what you're doing and need help.

This is probably indeed how most people do it. But my posts were aimed at what you would do if you want to stand out. You have to create all of those things anyway, why not just put them in a folder and hand them to your instructor all at once? If you do it like you described, and like most people do, you communicate that you have never done this before and you want them to show you how it's done, i.e., hold your hand. Many professors will probably be ok with that. That doesn't change the fact that they will probably be impressed if you hand them a well organized LOR packet from the beginning. You then communicate that you know what you're doing, it's important to you, and they get everything they need from the beginning without having to ask. I guarantee they will be impressed if you give them all that stuff. This is not a totally painless process for them either. It takes them time and energy. You also communicate to them that you respect their time and you aren't going to waste theirs because you don't know what you're doing and need help.

Just remember, there are a lot of people who are overachievers on this board. Either way, as long as your profs write you at least decent LORs, you will be fine. That is unless you are one of those few applicants that are hoping to get into Mayo or Johns Hopkins. But if that is the case then I would assume that you would have known what you needed to do to get adequate LORs.

For the average applicant, get to know the professor and then ask. Or you can ask without knowing them; make sure to provide a written statement about yourself, an unofficial transcript, and of course the LOR form.

Just remember, there are a lot of people who are overachievers on this board. Either way, as long as your profs write you at least decent LORs, you will be fine. That is unless you are one of those few applicants that are hoping to get into Mayo or Johns Hopkins. But if that is the case then I would assume that you would have known what you needed to do to get adequate LORs.

For the average applicant, get to know the professor and then ask. Or you can ask without knowing them; make sure to provide a written statement about yourself, an unofficial transcript, and of course the LOR form.

What's an LOR form? And one of the above posts talked about using Interfolio-is that through your school or do you pay for it or whatever yourself?

At my university, we use something that is called LEO. We fill out a form with the professors name on it and our relationship with them. It is basically just a short evaluational form for the professors to use on top of the official letter that they write. For my school, both are required as far as I know.