How to be a good interviewee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dboy

What do you think is the best way to come across at an interview? We all know everyone puts on a show at the interview and feeds the Adcoms BS. But what if you are asked a question and you really don't have a lot to say about it? I read this interview question on SDN and thought to myself I couldn't say a whole lot without sounding redundant: " So ( Name ) tell me what are your thoughts on plagiarsm?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, for every question asked, say what you have to say and then shut-up - don't keep going on and on b/c you are nervous that you either haven't said enough or b/c you think you should keep talking to fill the emptiness.

i have worked in a more "corporate" america capacity since graduating from college, and i can tell you from an interviewer's and interviewee's standpoint it is best to take your time when answering questions (demonstrates that you are actually thinking about the question and not just saying whatever off the top of your head - but don't take too long), say what you have to say and then don't go on and on. rambling shows that you are either not confident in your answer or are uncomfortable with the silence in the room - or both. :scared:

so, if presented with a question from out in left field- give it some thought, respond, and then don't go on and on trying to elaborate/explain yourself unnecessarily.

laelialudisia said:
IMO, for every question asked, say what you have to say and then shut-up - don't keep going on and on b/c you are nervous that you either haven't said enough or b/c you think you should keep talking to fill the emptiness.

I agree partially.

Depending on the type of interviewer you have, being short and waiting for another question may not be the best tact. We've heard several times now of schools that are conversational in an interview. I agree, in any interview, answer the question ask succinctly and stop. Do not ramble on about the topic, but if it is obvious that the interviewer is looking for a more conversational tone, ask a question back. After making your point, perhaps ask the interviewers op[inion on the same question or if the question is:

"what are you looking for in you fellow dental school classmate?" Answer, and then possibly ask the interviewer what his or her perception of the majority of student at the school are like.

As far as plagerism...it's a cut and dry topic. You tell them what you think...which hopefully is that you should not plagerize because it is stealing someone else's work...and then wait for another question that is more interesting

djeffreyt said:
I agree partially.

Depending on the type of interviewer you have, being short and waiting for another question may not be the best tact. We've heard several times now of schools that are conversational in an interview. I agree, in any interview, answer the question ask succinctly and stop. Do not ramble on about the topic, but if it is obvious that the interviewer is looking for a more conversational tone, ask a question back. After making your point, perhaps ask the interviewers op[inion on the same question or if the question is:

"what are you looking for in you fellow dental school classmate?" Answer, and then possibly ask the interviewer what his or her perception of the majority of student at the school are like.

As far as plagerism...it's a cut and dry topic. You tell them what you think...which hopefully is that you should not plagerize because it is stealing someone else's work...and then wait for another question that is more interesting

i agree - if it is more of a conversational interview than make it conversational, but if it is more along the lines of ?, response, ?, response then keep it succinct

you'll just have to read the tone of how the interviewer is going to conduct the interview, and the tone may even change throughout the interview