how to be supportive of reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happysnowman

Figuring out how to pay for school
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a close friend who went through this year's application cycle with me. It's my first time and he had been really supportive and encouraging . He's sort of dropped from the radar (not really responded to messages) and I don't think there had been good news on his end. How do I help him and keep him encouraged?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a reapplicant myself and got accepted my second time around, some times I really appreciate that my friends and families will not bring up my failure in every conversation. If I were you, I will spend more time with him doing things outside of academics. Maybe try to offer help in his application process if necessary (only once or twice). Tell him that you are there for him and you are there to support him.

Reactions: 1 users
Start making conversations about how beautiful and not so bad the Caribbean is. That will surely lift his spirits up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a close friend who went through this year's application cycle with me. It's my first time and he had been really supportive and encouraging . He's sort of dropped from the radar (not really responded to messages) and I don't think there had been good news on his end. How do I help him and keep him encouraged?
You may not be able to keep him encouraged, and actually, dealing with his discouragement may be just the kick in the pants he needs to get his act together if his app was subpar. That being said, let him take the lead on how you can best help him. In the meantime, try to be sensitive to what he's going through. That includes not discussing it unless he brings it up first, and not offering any help or advice unless he asks for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, I've avoided talking about it and generally kept it off application topic. I do send him funny photos or try to talk about news/ current events.

Should I ever mention that I got an acceptance? I do want to thank him for his support at some point.

Thanks, I've avoided talking about it and generally kept it off application topic. I do send him funny photos or try to talk about news/ current events.

Should I ever mention that I got an acceptance? I do want to thank him for his support at some point.
He'll know someday. I think he'll probably ask you without needing to mention it, but bring it up if you're just a couple of months from leaving.

He'll know someday. I think he'll probably ask you without needing to mention it, but bring it up if you're just a couple of months from leaving.
:/

You, I'm not sure if you're joking.

:/

You, I'm not sure if you're joking.

Its my second time applying, unfortunately without luck. I was overjoyed when my friends told me when they got into schools. I think you should tell your friend when you get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Its my second time applying, unfortunately without luck. I was overjoyed when my friends told me when they got into schools. I think you should tell your friend when you get accepted.
Eh. I guess it depends on the nature of your relationship. I'm admittedly a bitter person. If I didn't have any acceptances I'm not sure that I would be wanting to hear about all of the people that got accepted. But then again, if you guys are very open he may appreciate sharing in your triumph.

Eh. I guess it depends on the nature of your relationship. I'm admittedly a bitter person. If I didn't have any acceptances I'm not sure that I would be wanting to hear about all of the people that got accepted. But then again, if you guys are very open he may appreciate sharing in your triumph.

Thank you for your honesty/insight. I think this application process drains you emotionally and financially while simultaneously making you reexamine yourself in the harshest light possible. I admire all re applicants for their determination.

Last edited:

Thanks for your perspective. You're blessed with a very generous heart. I wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user