How to behave in Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GomerPyle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am told to be very humble at my interview, however I don't see how anybody could be "humble" while bragging about how they are a qualified medical student and better than everybody else? Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should play it off in my interview? I have a lot of unique qualities that I think make me a good candidate, and as I practice to myself and list them off, I sound more like I am more "cocky" than humble.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been far from humble in my interviews. Just be yourself, make conversation, and don't come off as a creep. Talk yourself up without sounding cocky, but don't sell yourself short either. Confidence with humility. Don't blurt out erroneous information unrelated to the conversation at hand. I mean, I guess I'll know whether my method works in the next month or so, but "humble" is probably not the way to act.

try to match your affability with the person interviewing you...i'd guess

Members don't see this ad :)
Just answer the questions they ask you as if you were talking to anyone else, and let those experiences you speak about speak for themselves! Also, make sure you sound like you really like what you do!!!! Can't stress this part enough.

You can think of being humble as not trying to one-up someone else. Also, being humble doesn't mean you can't be confident. For example, you can talk about your strengths and why you're a good a candidate confidently. Don't make weird back-handed compliments or try to out-do someone (or other applicants) when you talk.

Just remember to comment on how attractive the PD's 16 year old daughter is in the photo on his desk.

Ask if you can make a copy of her picture to take home with you.

It shows interest in the program.

Just remember to comment on how attractive the PD's 16 year old daughter is in the photo on his desk.

oh gosh :eek:.

I've been far from humble in my interviews. Just be yourself, make conversation, and don't come off as a creep. Talk yourself up without sounding cocky, but don't sell yourself short either. Confidence with humility. Don't blurt out erroneous information unrelated to the conversation at hand. I mean, I guess I'll know whether my method works in the next month or so, but "humble" is probably not the way to act.

You have to walk the fine line between confidence and arrogance. The former is an extremely important trait for being a future successful physician. Just think about how awesome you are, but NOT necessarily how you're better than anyone else. Worry about yourself, don't sell yourself short, because the interview is an opportunity for them to see 1) how you would fit at the school 2) how you would represent the school 3) how you would represent the medical profession.

Also, to go along with what someone said about affability - calibrate accordingly to your interviewer. If he/she is energetic, animated, and a very social person, then match that and try to make the interaction as pleasant and memorable as possible. On the other hand, if they are very serious and low-key, it would feel awkward for both you and him/her if you acted like king of a frat party.

Also mention that she will be 18 in just 2 years. It will demonstrate your strong arithmetic skills, which are important for the practice of medicine.

Try to walk into the interview being ready to discuss every part of your application in detail as well as your PS. Be able to answer "why do you want to come HERE?" Be yourself and make sure you mention something unique about yourself that will help the person interviewing you remember you after you leave their office.

Just be normal. Be yourself and don't worry too much about how you are portraying yourself. It becomes so obvious if you try to act a certain way that isn't really you.

Just be normal. Be yourself and don't worry too much about how you are portraying yourself. It becomes so obvious if you try to act a certain way that isn't really you.

Eh, I actually used a British accent for my first interview, and then for my second interview with an M4, I used an Australian accent. I am from Indiana, but I don't think they even noticed!

To avoid being "cocky," I usually walk right into the interview room with a big ole strut, slap my nuts down on the desk and yell "THESE BIG ENOUGH FOR YA?"

3 acceptances so for.