How to best learn things I was never exposed to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malikhind

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I got very unlucky with my professor for intro biology 1 (evolution, ecology, animals etc...) and he basically taught nothing. I was wondering how I should approach teaching myself everything. I was thinking about going through my bio section of destroyer because I learn best through examples, however I feel really stupid whenever I go through destroyer and I'm unsure if thats normal and expected.

Do you guys think I should continue through destroyer or go through something like Cliffs or Feralis' Notes first then destroyer? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Destroyer is meant to be hard, so don't worry. I'd suggest watching videos (like CrashCourse or Bozeman) to start you off/get exposed to the material and then Cliffs. Personally I bought the Kaplan Blue Book like 2 years ago lol and it really helped give me a solid foundation that I supplemented with Destroyer info.
So, I did: KBB (notes) -> Destroyer (practice) -> BC (testing/simulation). Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. You can also read what I and others posted here: Need Advice for the Biology Section :)

Reactions: 2 users
I would honestly go through videos. Destroyer is super hard and can be difficult to remotely learn anything without prior knowledge. Read Cliff's AP Bio and then watch some videos.

Reactions: 1 user
I would start with Cliff's as a basic review first. It will give you a pretty decent foundation to work with; then expand to other resources once you've read it entirely at least once. I also learn well from examples but I think in the case of biology that information needs some context/structure to be memorized effectively in a framework of what you already know, rather than a set of random facts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, so I got very unlucky with my professor for intro biology 1 (evolution, ecology, animals etc...) and he basically taught nothing. I was wondering how I should approach teaching myself everything. I was thinking about going through my bio section of destroyer because I learn best through examples, however I feel really stupid whenever I go through destroyer and I'm unsure if thats normal and expected.

Do you guys think I should continue through destroyer or go through something like Cliffs or Feralis' Notes first then destroyer? Thank you.

Hi malikhind,

The Destroyer is very challenging but it is meant to cover a wide variety of possibilities and give you best chance to scores 20 plus on the DAT. We use the Destroyer in our classroom setting and complete all the work, not skipping a single problem, but Dr. Romano does quite a bit of review work prior to beginning the Destroyer. I would take time going through Cliffs, and once complete go to straight to the Destroyer. Don't feel stupid when going through Destroyer, it's not a timed test, it's a teaching book. Stick with it, it does become easier. artist2022, offers some great suggestions.

If you have any questions while going through Destroyer feel free to post them and we will answer asap.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone. Definitely gonna go through cliffs first!

would highly recommend Bozeman science on Youtube to get an introduction to the terminology before even diving into Cliffs (if you've never seen a topic before)

Edit: I see someone already recommended it lol