How to choose a backup specialty for ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spikebd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an ms3 do student getting ready to set up some audition rotations but I'm not sure what to do in case I don't get enough interviews to feel comfortable matching. I have a 617 comlex and a 248 usmle, so decent scores but not great. My problem is I don't know what to do if I don't match. I'm a typical med student, and not matching scares me due to high ish student loans.

This do merger is concerning because I don't know how many do ortho spots will close. This will make it tougher than usual to match, at least that's my worry.

Should I set up an audition rotation in a "backup" specialty like anesthesia or emergency medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

What will you say on that rotation?

"I'm totally dedicated to your specialty if I don't actually get what I want."

Seems like a waste, but I don't know anything about anything.

I'd imagine they lie and tell them they LOVE whatever it is they're using as a backup.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people think its wise to use 2 weeks to cover more places and just stay 4 weeks at one or two places you are really interested in?

I don't think you can really learn that much about a program in two weeks (or them about you). Even 4 weeks goes by quickly, especially when they have you rotating on multiple services. I would recommend 4 week blocks, but if you have an extra two weeks with nothing better to do, it could be a good way to see another program and increase your chances of getting an interview there.

4 week blocks is the standard. Many don't offer 2 week stints, and frankly you really lose out on getting a feel for life as a resident on a 2 week rotation.

I'd speak to your program advisors about away rotations with EM and Anesthesia rotations. To my knowledge, they're not classic "rotator" fields, at least they weren't when I applied 2 years ago. It would be personally surprising if you hear that away rotations in this field were common.

With respect to the discussion of a backup - while I wouldn't walk around advertising that a place in your backup, I have had colleagues who were asked this directly (they did a lot of ortho research, had ortho aways, and interviewed in, say, OB/GYN). I would be honest. You're intrigued by both fields. You know that aways are important in ortho and med school doesn't give you a great idea about life as a resident there. That said, you're very excited about this specialty - which you really should be to consider it. You should have an anecdote or a discussion about a mentor ready. People get "backup" programs all the time, and one friend of mine ended up ranking a "backup" ahead of all of his "primary" programs (he matched there).

All in all, if you have to err on being honest vs. "strategic" with residency interviewers, be honest. They've seen it ALL.