How to choose MD/PHD school based on field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted722807

I am a few years out of school but am aiming to apply to MD/PhD programs next cycle. I am also signing on to a research project to get some recent work in before I apply (I did do extensive research in school).

My question is regarding the selection of schools. I am interested in engineering and applied mathematics, particularly the field of image processing. That particular field of research does not seem to exist at many programs, however. Is it common for MD/PhD students to go to schools where their particular field is not researched? If so, would it be expected that I simply apply to all programs that offer engineering and go not for a specific type of project, but for general training?

Additionally, is it a red flag that image processing seems to be researched by PhDs exclusively, but not MD/PhDs?

My PIs have been PhDs and were not able to answer my question. They did tell me, however, that fields could be narrowed down in postdoc positions. I'm not sure if MD/PhD is the same way.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine why on earth you would want an MD to go into such a specialized field that, to my little brain, has no medical applications, unless you're interested bioengineering and in vision research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, I'm happy to clarify-- thanks for the replies! I certainly do want to be a physician-scientist, not one or the other. My question had more to do with how people chose the field they wanted to go into. MD-PhD programs in general, by my estimation, seem to be less geared to engineering research. Is it the wrong approach to be tied to a particular project instead of viewing the application as an opportunity to gain research skills?

Image processing has enormous biomedical applications. One of my old PIs works with neurosurgeons and radiologists on aneurysm imaging. At my old school, there is a huge collaboration between biomedical engineers and our medical school on image processing in general. There are definitely schools that have labs for MD-PhD students in this field, but I'm being realistic about (i) the likelihood of getting into a particular school and (ii) acceptance rates in general. My stats are decent, but I'm no stud.

Hey man, like you said, Image processing has tons of applicaitons to the biomedical field. Plus, I would be surprised if no MD-PhD worked in that field with the amount of applications. And even if there wasn't that means there is a new frontier to be pursued.

There are a bunch of schools with a strong engineering school tied to them for a md-phd, for example

John Hopkins
Harvard - MiT
Emory - GaTech
Duke
Indian-Purdue
UF
Stanford
Baylor - Rice
Pretty much all the Cali schools
Northwestern

^^^ Those are a range of school some more competitive than others for admission all with a decent if not stellar engineering school. I am an electrical engineering with a focus on neuroscience/neuroengineering. If you wanna do image processing work just look for MD/PhD programs with a strong electrical engineering program that emphasizes signal process sing. There are a bunch of schools that can be a good fit for you!

@thatguy, thanks for the list! I'm skeptical about getting into places like Hopkins, Stanford, or Harvard-MIT, but thanks for the heads-up about the rest. Your interests seem similar to mine, it's nice to know I'm not the only black sheep in a sea of bio majors :p

Reactions: 1 user
@mdphdhopeful4 the list I gave you definitely wasn't comprehensive. There are plenty of schools that will meet your interests just look around and good luck!

Certainly lots of applications of image processing in medicine. And many larger institutions, not just the MIT/Hopkins elite will have people that do this well. While my area was in computational mechanics, I was able to get a handful of publications on image processing just by being the "medicine guy" around the engineering labs.
I picked my MSTP by first picking my research mentor. I found the guy who was the best in the world at what I wanted to do and called him. Then I contacted their medication school. Your medical education will be more-or-less the same at the 40+ places that you could go. Your science training will not be.

Certainly lots of applications of image processing in medicine. And many larger institutions, not just the MIT/Hopkins elite will have people that do this well. While my area was in computational mechanics, I was able to get a handful of publications on image processing just by being the "medicine guy" around the engineering labs.
I picked my MSTP by first picking my research mentor. I found the guy who was the best in the world at what I wanted to do and called him. Then I contacted their medication school. Your medical education will be more-or-less the same at the 40+ places that you could go. Your science training will not be.

@JETER, thanks for this information, it's very valuable. How likely is it that you can get into an MSTP if you click with the mentor? I've identified a couple, but it seems a like chances are low that I will get into the exact MSTP that I pick. As you said, science is different wherever you go, which is why I started the thread. I want to make sure I learn the science I want.

There is a rumor about UCLA likes to take MDPhD with tech background. I cannot deny that because the only two current student I know are physics and CS major in college. Keep in mind UCLA and USC MDPhD is at Caltech (PhD) portion. Your interest is actually a very useful topic in biotech. Think about how sequencing is done, prosthesis, and everything in radiology department.
You will be an interesting applicant, if all MSTP is cell biology, that will be boring.

I disagree with Goro and wholeheartedly. I'm on the image generation/physics side. Image processing is hot right now. You don't need any expensive equipment to do it. In theory they can just hand you a large volume of imaging data and you can mine for gold. The investment is low, and if you can get it funded it's a slam dunk. I'm in the cancer side and we just had a meeting on this. The institutions from the US most involved were:

USF/Moffitt (hosted it)
MD Anderson
Sloan Kettering
Miami
Dana-Farber
Stanford

I may have forgotten one or two and there are certainly more. UCLA, UWash, and WashU are fine suggestions, for example.

If so, would it be expected that I simply apply to all programs that offer engineering and go not for a specific type of project, but for general training?

No. This is not the model. The school needs to have at least one PI (preferably a group) whose interests line up with yours.

Additionally, is it a red flag that image processing seems to be researched by PhDs exclusively, but not MD/PhDs?

That's not a problem.

My PIs have been PhDs and were not able to answer my question. They did tell me, however, that fields could be narrowed down in postdoc positions. I'm not sure if MD/PhD is the same way.

You want to try to tailor yourself to your interests as much as possible. You have to do a residency and probably a clinical fellowship. You don't have time to spend a few years in a post-doc like a regular PhD.

You'll need to identify potential mentors at these programs. I can't think of many places off the top of my head, but if you do some digging you might be able to pull a dozen programs out to apply to. Hard to know if the MSTPs will bite. If you are otherwise a strong applicant and can make a compelling story out of your existing research, your proposed research, and how it's applicable to medicine, you have a decent shot.

Reactions: 1 user
The departments of psychiatry and bioengineering at UIllinois at Chicago would eat you up, if you're interested.

http://www.psych.uic.edu/research/conect-uic

This kickass MD/PhD gave a seminar to us the other day, too: http://www.bioe.uic.edu/bin/view/BIOE/AlexLeow

A word of warning, though, the coursework for a PhD in bioengineering is rigorous (at least at my institute), and the pre-clinical sciences do not really get you off the hook for the engineering type classes, the way they might for a biochemistry PhD.