How to classify EMT-B training on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatrickStarMDPHD

Who you calling pinhead?
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently started an EMT course. It is not offered through a university or CC program so I was confused on how to classify it on AMCAS as an activity or course. I called AMCAS a few weeks ago and they said to put it under activities, but I thought I would confirm with the good folks of SDN.

If you all would classify it as an activity, would you classify it as community service/volunteer clinical (like what I put for hospital volunteering) or just other?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Its an EC activity unless you took it as a for credit course at a college.

As for what type of activity, the course itself is just that, an educational course (so it would go under "other").

Its not community service/volunteering unless you actually use the certification to volunteer with an EMS squad or fire department.

Reactions: 1 users
Its an EC activity unless you took it as a for credit course at a college.

As for what type of activity, the course itself is just that, an educational course (so it would go under "other").

Its not community service/volunteering unless you actually use the certification to volunteer with an EMS squad or fire department.

Awesome! I will classify the course as "Other" then. Not getting academic credit here. I plan to use the certification later on to either find a paid job or volunteer for an EMS squad, but I will let my schools know through an update letter. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping this thread again! As I mentioned before, this course is not affiliated with a university or community college. I am almost done with the course, will I have to report my grades to my medical schools in the future?

I'm in a similar predicament, I'm a paramedic and my school was 2 years long but did not give any college credit and no one in the course was a "degree seeking student"... And there is no official transcript to request per Se..

Reactions: 1 user
I called AMCAS late last week and they said that it is not really possible to obtain transcripts from organizations like that. Especially since we need to get above a certain % to pass, and I believe all they report is P/F. I just wanted to confirm what other SDNers are doing in that predicament.

I had a follow up question to this.

I did a similar course for college credit, and did about 100 hours worth of EMS ride-alongs/hospital shadowing in order to get credit. Could I list those hours as clinical volunteering or no?

Take what I am saying with a grain of salt: Since you put your EMT training to use, you can list it as clinical volunteering. The difference is that since you listed the course as for-credit, you must report the grade on AMCAS.

I had a follow up question to this.

I did a similar course for college credit, and did about 100 hours worth of EMS ride-alongs/hospital shadowing in order to get credit. Could I list those hours as clinical volunteering or no?
If you were there as an observer, then it could be included as EMS shadowing. If you were present as part of a curricular requirement, it was not "volunteer," even if you were helpful in some way.

Hi everyone,

I recently started an EMT course. It is not offered through a university or CC program so I was confused on how to classify it on AMCAS as an activity or course. I called AMCAS a few weeks ago and they said to put it under activities, but I thought I would confirm with the good folks of SDN.

If you all would classify it as an activity, would you classify it as community service/volunteer clinical (like what I put for hospital volunteering) or just other?

Thanks!!

I had a similar thing with my app. I took my CNA course at a "continuing education college". The course offered no credits but did list Continuing Education Units (CEUs). I spoke with AMCAS and they said list the Continuing Education College school attended and enter the courses. However, they said these courses will not be verified so how you enter them doesn't really matter.

I had a similar thing with my app. I took my CNA course at a "continuing education college". The course offered no credits but did list Continuing Education Units (CEUs). I spoke with AMCAS and they said list the Continuing Education College school attended and enter the courses. However, they said these courses will not be verified so how you enter them doesn't really matter.

hmmm, interesting. My program's website describes it as a "training company", which I am sure is similar to your situation. I just contacted my organization the other day and it seems they do not keep or send transcript records, nor do they give college credit or any units. AMCAS told me to do the opposite you did and list it as an activity.

hmmm, interesting. My program's website describes it as a "training company", which I am sure is similar to your situation. I just contacted my organization the other day and it seems they do not keep or send transcript records, nor do they give college credit or any units. AMCAS told me to do the opposite you did and list it as an activity.

Your situation may have different solutions than mine, but I'll lay out mine for you.

I attended a CNA course (and other first aid courses) at the "Continuing Education College" associated with the CC I took classes at. The CCE did not award credit, instead it awarded CEUs. They do provide a transcript of completed coursework. When I called AAMC about how to enter courses with CEU credits, I never even mentioned putting it as an EC because my CNA got me a job that is listed as an EC. They never mentioned anything about entering it as a work/activity. Instead they told me to add the CCE as a "school attended" and enter my coursework however made sense to me, since they will not be verifying these courses. I basically entered them as they appeared on my transcript and listed "0" credit hours and P/F for each.

I would surly do what the AMCAS rep told you, as your situation seems a bit different. Did you get a job with your EMT-B? If so I might just list that and include in the description how/when I got the license.

Your situation may have different solutions than mine, but I'll lay out mine for you.

I attended a CNA course (and other first aid courses) at the "Continuing Education College" associated with the CC I took classes at. The CCE did not award credit, instead it awarded CEUs. They do provide a transcript of completed coursework. When I called AAMC about how to enter courses with CEU credits, I never even mentioned putting it as an EC because my CNA got me a job that is listed as an EC. They never mentioned anything about entering it as a work/activity. Instead they told me to add the CCE as a "school attended" and enter my coursework however made sense to me, since they will not be verifying these courses. I basically entered them as they appeared on my transcript and listed "0" credit hours and P/F for each.

I would surly do what the AMCAS rep told you, as your situation seems a bit different. Did you get a job with your EMT-B? If so I might just list that and include in the description how/when I got the license.

My apologies, I totally understand your situation and it is different. I am almost done with training, but I do intend to get work or volunteer with it later on. That will be the subject of a future update letter and conversation during an interview.

If you were there as an observer, then it could be included as EMS shadowing. If you were present as part of a curricular requirement, it was not "volunteer," even if you were helpful in some way.
It was part of a curricular requirement. Should I not list it at all then on my app? It was a significant amount of hours and would be nice to add, but I don't want to mislead.

If it helps at all, I got my EMT fresh out of high school.

Mine was different in that I had taken it at a CC, so there was 11 credit hours on a transcript (and it counted toward science GPA!)

I volunteered for a local fire dept on the ambulance as well as a local rescue team / community educators. I called both medical related volunteering.

I did NOT count the clinical experience as part of the class (abt. 36 hours for this specific program's curriculum) as its separate entry. I did give passing word to it in my PS, as well as used for interview fodder. It seemed to be well received by the interviewers at the two schools I interviewed at last cycle.

And... I hope I'm not being too blunt. But until you make use of it, I don't think it means much... YES, I think everyone should have at least the basic skill set. But there's a difference between having a skill like CPR that can sit latent and a technical certification. So many people enter the field and get their certifications, then do nothing with it. I witness it all the time. And I can't imagine that an adcom sees that with any positive light (just like getting a CNA license but never using it.) Once you make use of the license, you can include an entry like "Volunteer EMT" and all of that stuff can fall neatly under it (my solution).

Please don't take this as a personal dig! I hope you use it and learn more about yourself through it. Just my .02:banana:

EDIT: I think iBro and I had the same idea, I skipped over this last |P. There ya' go.

It was part of a curricular requirement. Should I not list it at all then on my app? It was a significant amount of hours and would be nice to add, but I don't want to mislead.
You can list it, but don't call it Volunteer. Use Shadowing or Other (if you did more than watch). Name it what it is.

Or refer to it in the PS.

You've spent hundreds of hours in other classes, but you aren't listing them, so be sure you're reporting a lot of impact to make it worth the space, if you decide to proceed.

Last edited: