How to Craft List of Schools to Apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagonwheel23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm starting to craft my list of MD schools to apply to and I'm curious to hear how fellow non-traditional students did this.

My sense is that traditional students are able to heavily rely on the average MCAT/GPA of each school to determine their chances. While I know that these factors are also important for non-traditional students, are there any schools of thought regarding how non-traditional background should select schools to apply to versus traditional students?

I'm particularly curious for those of you that applied with a masters. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.6 and a graduate GPA of 3.9 (Biochemistry, top 5 research university) and I'm not sure how much weight to give to my graduate GPA when assessing my likelihood of admission.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your graduate GPA will be considered as a strong extracurricular that also shows your academic potential. It's hard to say statistically how it will factor into your odds of acceptance at any school. Without your MCAT score, it's also hard to say where you are competitive. On your UG GPA alone, your numbers do look to be about the median, which I consider in the competitive range. In your shoes, I'd be applying then to any MD schools that I would like to attend, and also that my MCAT and GPA both look to be competitive (plus some reach schools as well as some safety schools. With a decent MCAT, you look to be in good shape, but should still apply broadly.

For myself, I've run through the MSAR and compiled a list of schools with comparable stats to mine, who (besides my in-state school) accept a decent number of OOS students. This mostly includes private schools across the nation, plus a few other public schools that have a good percentage (~35%) of OOS matriculants.

Quik; thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it!

To begin my MCAT studying I took the Kaplan diagnostic test (modeled after the old test, but still relevant) and scored a 28 (12 VR, 9 BS, 7 PS). I have also taken a number of practice questions for the new section and have been scoring, as measured by ExamKrackers, in the ~98th percentile. I've also been showing a lot of improvement in my BS and PS abilities. So, while I'm not sure where exactly my MCAT score will land, I except to be above the median.

Aside from the MCAT, your insight is incredibly helpful. Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Use your LizzyM score as a crude statistic to compare yourself to schools and compile a list with safeties/targets/reaches (LizzyM = (undergrad cGPA x 10) + MCAT). You have: 36+28=64. You can also calculate the LizzyM scores for medical schools using the information provided on the MSAR. I've heard it said that schools with LizzyM scores +3/4 from yours are reaches.

I will warn you that your LizzyM is low, so finding MD "safeties" will be very hard. BUT you are non-trad and probably have kick-ass ECs and can write great essays! Consider new medical schools and maybe DO?

Use your LizzyM score as a crude statistic to compare yourself to schools and compile a list with safeties/targets/reaches (LizzyM = (undergrad cGPA x 10) + MCAT). You have: 36+28=64. You can also calculate the LizzyM scores for medical schools using the information provided on the MSAR. I've heard it said that schools with LizzyM scores +3/4 from yours are reaches.

I will warn you that your LizzyM is low, so finding MD "safeties" will be very hard. BUT you are non-trad and probably have kick-ass ECs and can write great essays! Consider new medical schools and maybe DO?

The OP hasn't actually taken the MCAT yet, just a diagnostic, so I'd expect the MCAT to go up some from the just starting out point and I don't think 28 is a bad place to start.

Hi all,

I'm starting to craft my list of MD schools to apply to and I'm curious to hear how fellow non-traditional students did this.

Everyone's advice is good. Just adding that I have crafted my list with another important factor: family. I've got school-age children, so I'm especially favoring MD schools closer to home to avoid a move, if possible, or schools that are in cities where moving with kids is viable.

If you don't have kids or a spouse with a job you can disregard those factors, obviously. Good luck!

I've reflected on this a bit lately in terms of how I picked the schools I did and what actually happened vs. what I thought realistically would happen. If you look at it just by numbers, I received IIs from 0 schools where my GPA was in the 10-90th percentile. My MCAT fell between most of these schools, but still out of my 7 IIs, none of them are in my GPA range, so I feel that to use numbers alone is really misleading. I applied to about 10 schools that were within my GPA range, and I've heard either nothing or rejections at this point. The schools I selected, albeit there were an abundance of them (35+), I selected based on whether or not I could really see myself there based on friends I knew there, my professional experience there, or impressions I got from my own research. I put little value in the numbers component, so I would recommend you do the same.

I did similarly on my practice MCAT, and after a lot of practice (over 15 practice tests), I did really well and I think that definitely helped me overcome doubts due to a lower GPA. Your GPA Is good, so I don't think you need to worry there, but the importance of the MCAT still remains.

I also think applying early definitely helped, so do that!

Best of luck!

The OP hasn't actually taken the MCAT yet, just a diagnostic, so I'd expect the MCAT to go up some from the just starting out point and I don't think 28 is a bad place to start.

Great catch! Sorry I missed that. I completely agree! A 28 is a FANTASTIC place to start!
Best of luck with your exam, @wagonwheel23.

MSAR Online is your friend. Target schools whose median stats are closest to your own, and aimn accordingly.

Pay careful attention to the "Acceptance Information page.

Hi all,

My sense is that traditional students are able to heavily rely on the average MCAT/GPA of each school to determine their chances. While I know that these factors are also important for non-traditional students, are there any schools of thought regarding how non-traditional background should select schools to apply to versus traditional students?

I'm particularly curious for those of you that applied with a masters. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.6 and a graduate GPA of 3.9 (Biochemistry, top 5 research university) and I'm not sure how much weight to give to my graduate GPA when assessing my likelihood of admission.

Thank you in advance!

I bought the MSAR. I made a huge spreadsheet with one line per school, with their GPA and MCAT scores. I made a filter so the schools near my stats would light up. I think 50 schools lit up.

So I started applying more filters. School that had at least a certain percent OOS. Schools that had a certain percentage primary care. Etc. I just kept adding filters that were meaningful to me, until only about 20 schools were left, and applied to them.

It was a very mathematical approach to choosing schools, but I applied to a wide variety of them, including several I had never heard of (this includes the school I matriculated at!), and I am satisfied with the results.

Planning school lists is useless without an MCAT score.

Your graduate GPA helps a little bit but how much will depend on the school. A 3.6 uGPA is reasonable if you do well on the MCAT. I have had an acceptance and lots of interviews as a non-trad with a 3.5 and no post grad work, but with research experience and a good MCAT.