How to deal with such questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shigella123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
These type of q confuse me cuz I don't understand what's really going on.

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqq.png

Members don't see this ad.

These type of q confuse me cuz I don't understand what's really going on.

View attachment 180454
First of all, if I saw this on the real exam I would look for 30 seconds, make my best guess based on my interpretation, mark and move on.
When I came back to it I would approach it like this. What is the figure showing? The answer is MAP (essentially, BP) and HR after administration of 2 diff drugs. Then I would see what they are trying to get out of the graph. Looking at the curves the MAP goes up every time after admin of drug X. So I'm looking for something that causes vasoconstriction.
Then I look at HR and see that it goes down with drug X by itself. So I know that it increases MAP but also decreases heart rate. So I'm thinking something that has reflex baroreceptor response to decrease HR.
Then I look at drug Y. by itself, it decreases MAP and increases HR. It also inhibits the reflex bradycardia produced by drug X (last bump). So it probably blocks Ach, because it prevents my baroreceptor response on the heart.
Then looking at the answers, I know NE causes alpha 1 predominant agonism. Because of this, it causes reflex bradycardia. Hexamethonium is an ACh antagonist that will block this. Leads me to answer E.
Epinephrine has Beta effects predominantly, so this does not cause HR to go down, which is how I differentiate B and E.
Sorry for the long winded response. Hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 user