How to do transfers? help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxkrafted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a noob question to ask. I just started working at cvs as an intern, and already seen all the rants on this forum lol... i just want know how to take transfers since my store if kind of busy its difficult to learn. How would i go about taking/giving a transfer and would i use the TI/TO functions? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Transfer in: Ask your pharmacist to underline the things to ask on a transfer pad. Then just ask for those. Use TI to enter the Rx and it will prompt you for the other store's info and original written date and stuff.

Transfer out: Use TO and enter the Rx number. Tell the other pharmacist whatever they ask for. On the next screen you'll get prompted for the other store's info (address and pharmacist name and whatnot). Remember at the end to use an RPh's credentials. If you use yours, everything you entered will go away.

thanks, i appreciate the information! one last question, does the script info come up as soon as i enter the Rx number using TO or do i have to go through the patient profile first?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, i appreciate the information! one last question, does the script info come up as soon as i enter the Rx number using TO or do i have to go through the patient profile first?

It populates all the RX information automatically.

Always get a store phone number and store DEA number- the system won't allow you to transfer in controls without the later (it's the law)

Here is my go-to script for giving transfers: script number, drug name, strength, quantity, directions, prescribers name, prescribers city (if in state transfer), prescribers telephone number, prescribers DEA number (even if not controlled), original date, last filled date, number of refills left, and my name.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this is a noob question to ask. I just started working at cvs as an intern, and already seen all the rants on this forum lol... i just want know how to take transfers since my store if kind of busy its difficult to learn. How would i go about taking/giving a transfer and would i use the TI/TO functions? thanks in advance

Note 1: on the phone, please say you are intern so please talk slow to me, others will talk slow to you so less mistake.

Note 2: Know the name of PHARMACIST ON DUTY. ("Pharmacist on duty" may or may not be Pharmacist in charge". "Pharmacist In Charge" is PIC, is title for Manager or Interim Manager.) Pharmacist on duty could be pharmacy manager, or pharmacy staff, or pharmacy floater or pharmacy relief.

Note 3: When you call other pharmacy, start with:

"Sorry to bother you, patient asked me to call for Transfer or Copy."

Why?

If you transfer script away from pharmacy that cares about script count, the pharmacist may hate you and be mean to you. For example, if you transfer from pharmacy that I own, I will lose money. If you transfer from pharmacy that I am manager, I will lose bonus.

If the tech answered your call and you were nice, you wait less time.

If the pharmacist answered you call and you were nice, you wait less time.

No matter what, never be mean to the other pharmacist, even if the other pharmacist is mean to you. Why? You never know who is on the other line. I know many ex-pharmacy managers or pharmacy district managers opened his or her own pharmacy and still keep in touch with old friends at chain pharmacies. If you are mean and rude, they may tell their friends who are still at management level and that could bite you later. How? You have to tell your name during the transfer. So, be nice and avoid karma bad feedback. You heard already: Pharmacy is a small world.

Note 4: After you receive a transferred script, on top of paper, you have to write TRANSFER, this is the pharmacy law. Friendly note to CVS stores that I have talked to, whenever I asked politely for a TRANSFER, I almost always hear: You want a copy? Last time I read pharmacy law book, we are doing the action of transfer and writing the word TRANSFER on new paper, where in the law book do you find the requirement about copy? So, to save myself that special clarification, I always ask the way I was taught: "Sorry to bother you, patient asked me to call for Transfer or Copy."

A trick I discovered in Rite Aid system: If you work at 24 hour store and at 2 A.M., a patient asks you to transfer a script from a store that is closed already at 10 P.M., you please find a Rite Aid branch that opens 24 hours a day. Call that 24-hour-pharmacy branch, ask the pharmacist on duty to bring script into this 24-hour-branch, then put on HOLD STATUS. Then, this 24-hour-branch can transfer to you. You can rescue the patient in the middle of the night instead of waiting until next morning for the transfer to be done the the original store which was closed at 10 P.M. I like this trick a lot, please share to others.

Note 5: If you transfer from Rite Aid, ask for FAXED TRANSFER. Rite Aid system has improved a lot. You simply fax the following and follow up with a quick call to make sure they receive your fax.

Name of pharmacist on duty,

Phone number of your receiving pharmacy,

Fax number of your receiving pharmacy,
(if you have stamp or business card that shows your address, give as well. Why? in case Rite Aid did not have your store's info.)
Name of patient,
Date of birth,
Medication you want.
Rite Aid will fax to you DIRECTLY from computer to your fax machine, very quickly and efficiently. You will get EVERYTHING YOU EVER NEED for a transfer:

Pharmacy's info: Store number, address, DEA, PHONE, FAX, full name of pharmacist that transferred to you.

Doctor's info: phone, address, DEA.

Patient's info: full name, address, phone.

Medication's info: name of med, strength, quantity dispensed, refill remaining, original date.....

I mean: everything. So efficient. Try it sometimes and you will save time for both sides: yours and them.

When you receive, you do not have to rewrite, just use the fax as hard copy and save yourself a lot of trouble.

(Remember to write the word TRANSFER on top before scanning into your computer.)

Remember: the law does not force receiving pharmacist to HAND WRITE; after conversation, you have to REDUCE TO WRITING, meaning, make the info show up in written form, either by

TYPING IN COMPUTER AND PRINT OUT (I did at small pharmacy),

or HAND WRITE,

or, if you got the fax with ALL INFO, just use the fax.

So efficient and convenient.

I beg my entire pharmacy colleagues to please try to request Faxed Transfer from Rite Aid. We all will benefit with this win-win solution.

This was part my dream transfer when I was pharmacy clerk.

The best transfer way I have seen was Walgreens system in 2012, back when Walgreens refused to take Express Script Insurance and had to transfer out a lot of medications. Non-Walgreens pharmacy could access a special website directly without talking to anyone and transfered out any medications. Amazing system. Now, that's efficient. Rite Aid still has room for improvement.

Anyone at Rite Aid's Corporate Level? Want us to work faster and fill more script and inject more flu shot? Please set up the transferring system like Walgreens website in 2012 to save us time from transferring out scripts at the front line and we will have more time to care for our patients and fulfill our duties to stockholder and meet corporate initiatives. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've only heard Walmart pharmacists refer to transfers as a "copy". First time they did it I was working prn at an indy and had no idea what they meant. "A copy of what?"