Dental How to explain bad grades on dental school application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be applying to dental school in the upcoming cycle. I got a C+ in gen chem my sophomore year and two C+'s (one in spanish and one in Biochem) in the second semester of my junior year. This was due to some relationship issues. Other than these semester I got A's and some B's in my other science course. I currently have around a 3.4 science GPA. Should I mention these situations somehow in my application? If so, how?
Your science GPA is pretty good considering you had a C+ in GC and in Biochem, so I wouldn't mention other things in there, unless it came up in an interview. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you still have time to pad your sGPA with underwaterbasketweaving-science courses? I'd advise doing so to get it up a little bit higher to 3.5+.

I don't think you should explicitly explain it in your application unless they ask for it. In an interview, you need to gauge the interviewer and provide alternative reasons/responses as to why you may have not performed well. Most interviewers will accept your current reason, as a reasonable explanation. Note that I did not use the word excuse, because you do not want to seem like you are making an excuse. Unfortunately, some dental school interviewers/faculty are not as empathic and/or closer to sociopathic, and you may need to fine tune and anticipate a plan B in explaining your circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.