How to explain one "W"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have one "W" on your transcript, how do you best explain it? I heard that its not a good idea to say that it is due to you being overloaded one semester and thus having to withdraw from the course.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't say anything. 1 W isn't anything. They happen to the best of us. No need to draw attention to a tiny, tiny blemish.

There's a question on a school's supplement that asks you to explain any W ' s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, what's the honest reason for why you got a W? Then, write that on the supplement.

There's a question on a school's supplement that asks you to explain any W ' s.

IMO:

1.) Explain truthfully why you got "W"
2.) What did you learn from it?
3.) Did you really apply that lesson into later classes and got better grade?

I think that would be the best answer to your question IMO.

If you have one "W" on your transcript, how do you best explain it? I heard that its not a good idea to say that it is due to you being overloaded one semester and thus having to withdraw from the course.

you tell them the truth. :thumbup:

This happened to me too. I was asked about it in my interview and the truth was that I realized I wouldn't have been able to get an A in the course at that time so I decided to take it again later when I could devote more time to it. If that's the only W you have it shouldn't be a big deal. If you withdrew from a course because you didn't need it or switched majors or something then it really shouldn't matter too much.