General Admissions & OTCAS How to explain OT school dismissal in a positive way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOTGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was dismissed from OT school earlier this year. Now, I am in the process of applying to some accelerated BSN programs. All of the applications include the question of whether the applicant has ever been dismissed from a school. I was wondering what would be the most positive way to answer this question. For anyone else on here who was previously dismissed and then tried applying to other programs, how did you answer that question? For me, the reason for dismissal was failure of a five day fieldwork rotation. I am not sure if my transcripts from the program specify that I was dismissed, but my grades were relatively good with the exception of the fieldwork. Does anyone have any suggestions about how the best way would be to explain my situation to programs that I am currently applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I will just have to try to explain it in a positive way on the applications and see what happens. I haven't taken any nursing prerequisites since failing out of OT school. Most of the prerequisites were already taken beforehand. However, I guess I could try to retake some of them and get A's in the ones that I got B's in.